TB Advice - stop focusing so much on Platoons

A lot of banter has been going on about Platoons. I agree there are some flaws in the design that need to be worked out, but people are treating them as the reason they're not getting more stars, and that's simply not the case. So, I wanted to provide some feedback that will hopefully help guilds achieve higher stars during the next TB event.

Our guild had 35 million GP in the first TB and because of a couple players leaving for stronger guilds we had 34 million GP for the second TB.

1st TB - 35 GP - 15 stars
2nd TB - 34 GP - 19 stars

How did we jump 4 stars with 1 million less GP?

We directed people to the territory that had the best chance of progressing far in the battles and ignored platoons we could not fill.

You achieve more points completing the battles than filling platoons and even if we completed EVERY platoon across every phase, we'd maybe get 1 or 2 more stars simply because the overall guild GP is so low and the territory points are insignificant. We left a max of 300 - 450k per phase (that's not going to get you to the next star when you have 20 million+ gap between 2 and 3 stars.

TL;DR

- don't get hung up on platoons, especially in ships because you get more points in the battles
- focus on the territory in each phase you can get to 2 stars (most are pretty easy to get to 1 star, so do those after)

Replies

• Options
    This is true and false the same time.
    True: Do not waste toons on platoons you cannot fill anyways. Thats a job for the officers to coordinate.
    False: Without the support of the filled platoons, the battles later on will be substacially harder.

For Reference 50mio guild, 35-36 Stars in TB...

• Options
    banjo1071 wrote: »
    This is true and false the same time.
    True: Do not waste toons on platoons you cannot fill anyways. Thats a job for the officers to coordinate.
    False: Without the support of the filled platoons, the battles later on will be substacially harder.

For Reference 50mio guild, 35-36 Stars in TB...

+1

Op title is misleading. Platoons make a huge difference down the line with many more 6/6 wins.

If your guild can 6/6 every mission in phases 4 and up without platoons it's not 35M, it's a 100M guild.
  • Options
    Tend to side with the responses.

Platoons give special abilities that remarkably improve performance. Ship platoons unlock the Strafing Run ability in the ground territories, which is extremely powerful and can clear a wave all by itself. Ground platoons give bonuses like Planetary Shields which block Orbital Bombardment, or disable the AT-AT barrages, both of which greatly improve your squads' ability to survive.

By itself, the TP bonus for filling a platoon is somewhere around 100k, which is roughly similar to the additional TP you score for clearing that sixth wave. You could argue that filling the platoon is therefore not a priority if it ruins your squads' ability to clear waves, which is a legitimate argument. But if you can fill the platoon and only lose 1 wave's worth of TP, then I would argue that the benefits to the later territories could easily offset that lost 100k.
  • Options
    Valid points. My comments were more aimed at lower level groups that will struggle with doing one or the other, especially considering Chaze, Wiggs, and other top tier rebels tend to pop up in platoons and are also most players strongest toons. It's better for a lower tier guild like my own to invest its resources in clearing 4 or 5 stages of a battle versus filling platoon requirements. Once we get to stage 5 and 6, there's really no chance of us clearing the battle regardless of the perks from platoons.
  • Options
    Per wave there are only 180 characters required. Divided among 50 people that should be easy to fill, so what if a few people have to sacrifice a bit you'll more than make up for that sacrifice in bonuses for the rest of the guild.
  • Options
    Platoons are complicated. I agree with Op that some Platoons don't need to be filled completely to maximize Guild performance. Especially in the beginning. Some Platoons give 80% of the overall benefit after level 1. NO need to stress over the remaining 4
  • Options
    BryGuy2k wrote: »
    Per wave there are only 180 characters required. Divided among 50 people that should be easy to fill, so what if a few people have to sacrifice a bit you'll more than make up for that sacrifice in bonuses for the rest of the guild.

This depends entire on guild depth, and not at all the general rule. Last go round we needed a total of 8 7* Lobots. Only the deepest and most tenured guilds would have that number.
    - R.I.P. Carrie Fisher -
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dantefire wrote: »
    BryGuy2k wrote: »

This depends entire on guild depth, and not at all the general rule. Last go round we needed a total of 8 7* Lobots. Only the deepest and most tenured guilds would have that number.

I was glossing over the either buggy platoons or intential paywall and was simply countering the idea that platoons are somehow onerous to guild members and crippling to their squads. Getting level 2 for every platoon (and power generator to level 3) will more than make up for any damage to individual members squad composition unless your entire guild is running the exact same squad and you never invested in a reasonable roster.
  • Options
    GP is by far more important than battle which are in turn more important than platoons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/715894/tbgp_question/dn8gs6z
  • Options
    GP is by far more important than battle which are in turn more important than platoons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/715894/tbgp_question/dn8gs6z

GP is regardless of anything you do in TB and a stat you can't change without booting members and recruiting better equipped players. So it's not a stat worth discussing since it's virtually unchangable for a given guild. Battles give you bonus GP to a territory. If you don't have 3 light side A teams that can ace every battle then platoons are #1 priority. 3 characters a player in a guild should not break a roster.

One person sacrificing a character that causes them to go 5/6 is still worth far less than the rest of the guild getting an extra wave in battles.

Let's do math:

1 x 100000 bonus for missing the last wave of a battle
    49 x 100000 getting an extra wave.

• Options
    @BryGuy2k

If you do the math you will see that Guild GP is by far the most important part of scoring in TB.

You don't need every member of your guild to finish every wave to get your max score on any given territory, therefore you don't really need the bonus provided by the platoons.

I know it sounds backwards but do the math and you will see. Yes the battles can make a difference between getting an extra star but if your guild is strong enough to complete every wave your guild doesn't need to complete every wave.
  • Options
    @BryGuy2k

If you do the math you will see that Guild GP is by far the most important part of scoring in TB.

You don't need every member of your guild to finish every wave to get your max score on any given territory, therefore you don't really need the bonus provided by the platoons.

I know it sounds backwards but do the math and you will see. Yes the battles can make a difference between getting an extra star but if your guild is strong enough to complete every wave your guild doesn't need to complete every wave.

That depends entirely on how close you are to the border of any given star. If you are right on the edge, you may very well need as many people as possible to complete those waves, and that may very well require having completed the platoons.
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @BryGuy2k

Agreed. But why I said that GP as far as this topic is concerned is irrelevant since you can't change it, so for the min/maxers or people with less than 120M GP... platoons to make sure your whole guild completes as many waves as possible. Then battles to get as much bonus as possible.

Learning how to play as a team is hard. Sometimes it means waiting and sacrificing a toon to the greater good.
  • Options
    Yes the battles can make a difference between getting an extra star but if your guild is strong enough to complete every wave your guild doesn't need to complete every wave.

lol wut?
    How can you say the combat missions aren't more important than a player's total GP? You throw a squad worth, say, 90k GP into a combat mission where they earn 400k TP, and the final wave is worth ~100k. That's a heck of a return on investment.
  • Options
    Yes the battles can make a difference between getting an extra star but if your guild is strong enough to complete every wave your guild doesn't need to complete every wave.

lol wut?
    How can you say the combat missions aren't more important than a player's total GP? You throw a squad worth, say, 90k GP into a combat mission where they earn 400k TP, and the final wave is worth ~100k. That's a heck of a return on investment.

The statement doesn't make sense but I've read his other posts. I believe what he's trying to say is that sometimes doing additional waves don't get your extra stars, say if you just crossed the 2* threshold but mathematically can't reach 3* even with perfect combat and the rest of the Deployment points.
  • Options
    My only problem with platoons is that I thought they were supposed to be random, yet the same toons keep popping up. I mean, every single "randomly-selected" 15-toon platoon I've looked at has had a requirement for a Biggs and a Wedge. Am I wrong? Are they not random?