Grand Moff Tarkin - Empire + Sith Synergy

Dakk
44 posts Member
edited September 2017
One of the cool things about Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars was that he had a Sith Lord as his right hand man. In some sense Vader even seemed like his 'pet'.Although undoubtedly Vaders presence was due partially to Emperor Palpatine wanting to keep tabs on matters. So although Tarkin himself was all Empire, he was able to work with the Sith.

Remember that Death Star boardroom scene where Admiral Motti questions Vader 'sad devotion to his ancient religion'? We first get to see the darkside of the Force in action as Vader chokes Motti into submission. Then Tarkin brings his mixed team back together with scolding "Enough of this. This bickering is pointless". Tarkin was the man bringing both the Imperial and Sith minsets together on their shared objectives.

Lately EA has been very generous to the rebels in its reworks of rebel characters, and the releases of R2, Command Luke Skywalker, and TB related toons. Unfortunately, arena has a distinct rebel bias, with even older rebel 'meta' toons enjoying longevity such as Wiggs, Chaze, etc. Meanwhile darkside squads are almost non-existent.

One thing that I think would have been a great way to enhance both Tarkin and darkside arena squads would have been to have some of Tarkin's abilities apply to both Empire and Sith allies. I'm not suggesting that Tarkin have the Sith class. But I'm suggesting that during the rework his abilites should have been enabled for both Empire and Sith allies.

Example: Right now Tarkin's leadership zeta is really lacking. It could be a great way to deal with Chaze in arena, applying defense down & expose when their health falls below 100%. But the Empire really lacks the toons that make this an effect strategy. However, the Sith have some characters that would really work well with this leadership ability. Imagine Sith Assassin or Sith Trooper benefiting from Tarkin's leadership? Since they can get around protection and knock down health. Not to mention Tarkin speed bonus, and we all know how important speed is for Sith. Zarkin leadership might even rival Zaul leadership.

I really feel like Tarkin's rework fell just short of greatness, although it was still an improvement. Making Tarkin's abilities function with both Empire and Sith characters would have been a great representation of the character in the movie, but it also would habe been a great way to increase his potential in arena, and a real boost to Empire and Sith synergy.

Replies

• Options
    Dakk wrote: »
    One of the cool things about Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars was that he had a Sith Lord as his right hand man. In some sense Vader even seemed like his 'pet'.Although undoubtedly Vaders presence was due partially to Emperor Palpatine wanting to keep tabs on matters. So although Tarkin himself was all Empire, he was able to work with the Sith.

Remember that Death Star boardroom scene where Admiral Motti questions Vader 'sad devotion to his ancient religion'? We first get to see the darkside of the Force in action as Vader chokes Motti into submission. Then Tarkin brings his mixed team back together with scolding "Enough of this. This bickering is pointless". Tarkin was the man bringing both the Imperial and Sith minsets together on their shared objectives.

Lately EA has been very generous to the rebels in its reworks of rebel characters, and the releases of R2, Command Luke Skywalker, and TB related toons. Unfortunately, arena has a distinct rebel bias, with even older rebel 'meta' toons enjoying longevity such as Wiggs, Chaze, etc. Meanwhile darkside squads are almost non-existent.

One thing that I think would have been a great way to enhance both Tarkin and darkside arena squads would have been to have some of Tarkin's abilities apply to both Empire and Sith allies. I'm not suggesting that Tarkin have the Sith class. But I'm suggesting that during the rework his abilites should have been enabled for both Empire and Sith allies.

Example: Right now Tarkin's leadership zeta is really lacking. It could be a great way to deal with Chaze in arena, applying defense down & expose when their health falls below 100%. But the Empire really lacks the toons that make this an effect strategy. However, the Sith have some characters that would really work well with this leadership ability. Imagine Sith Assassin or Sith Trooper benefiting from Tarkin's leadership? Since they can get around protection and knock down health.

I really feel like Tarkin's rework fell just short of greatness, although it was still an improvement. Making Tarkin's abilities function with both Empire and Sith characters would have been a great representation of the character in the movie, but it also would habe been a great way to increase his potential in arena, and a real boost to Empire and Sith synergy.

Every single one of the Empire reworks fell short of greatness. They are all less awful but there really only 2, maybe 3 of the 15 Empire characters that I’d consider useful.
  • Options
    While its true that rebel reworks were generally so much better, and Empire reworks really lacking, I would prefer to focus on constructive critisism, rather than just the negatives themselves. In other words, what would make Empire toons great. Tarkin is one where I think an obvious opportunity was missed in providing some much needed Empire - Sith synergy, in a way that was actually representative of the Star Wars character.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    You think Vader was Tarkin's pet based on one scene??? You should read and watch canon material related to Tarkin, and not make wild (and terribly wrong) assumptions.

Leia did say Tarkin was holding Vader’s leash....
  • Options
    Personally think it's a bit strong to say he should have synergy with another tag just because of a few lines. Plus doesn't his contempt for the sith which you've just quoted go against that?
  • Options
    Tarkin is already a good toon... I don't think he needs any changes
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Options
    Ahsoka have sinergy with Nightsisters, but she is Light side with sinergy with Dark side, but before any changes they need fix his zeta Lead, since only expose enemies that had full health and become with less than full health after the atack, not expose enemies that already
    have less than 100% health. Palpitine and Vader are sith and empire, so work fine with him, and Palpitine have special that do health damage, but his zeta Lead working with siths could make he interesting for arena with all zetas.
  • Options
    Yay. More of the same crap!

While I agree; the Separatists had the the Republic beaten until the hidden clones forces were found.

The Separatists were beating the Jedi! And they still have no Synergy, are the weakest by far, and have no useful leaders.

It took 2 forces, (Republic w/ clones and Hidden Sith) to defeat them.

And for Sith's Sake why does Grievous suck so BAD!?!?
  • Options
    The only Sith he worked with that I know of was Vader and technically Palpatine, but they are already covered with the empire tag
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.
  • Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    You think Vader was Tarkin's pet based on one scene??? You should read and watch canon material related to Tarkin, and not make wild (and terribly wrong) assumptions.

Unlike you I saw Star Wars in the theater 1977 when it was the ONLY SW movie. So yes, Tarkin clearly had Vader on a leash from that perspective. There was only mention of a vague Emperor and no real infor or understanding about the Sith.

So dont talk to me about canon. ill know more about SW than you ever will.

Why dont you spend time making constructive posts instead of exposing your SW newbiness..

• Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

Leia did say Tarkin was holding Vader’s leash....

Exactly.

• Options
    Personally think it's a bit strong to say he should have synergy with another tag just because of a few lines. Plus doesn't his contempt for the sith which you've just quoted go against that?

Motti had contempt for the Sith, not Tarkin. Pretty clear in my comment.

• Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    The only Sith he worked with that I know of was Vader and technically Palpatine, but they are already covered with the empire tag

True, and they would already be included in Tarkin's abilities. My point was that Tarkin clearly was fine working with the Sith, unlike some other Empire characters, so why not allow represent that in the game, while more importantly adding to game balance.

• StitchagoFTW
    150 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Meh. Personal Tarkin is fine. Also he is a really good Fleet Leader Try running a team of:

Tarkin (L)
    DK
    DT
    Thrawn
    Nihilius
  • Options
    Hskull55 wrote: »
    Tarkin is already a good toon... I don't think he needs any changes

Says the guy with an Obi Wan Kenobi avatar... I bet you like CLS and R2 and all the rebel changes and can't name anything about them that is drastically and laughably OP.