What will the new meta be? (after this one)

bigspring78
99 posts Member
edited February 2016
Not that this is news, but it's pretty clear the meta is shifting towards a speed/damage meta led by Qui Gon Jin, Rey, GS, etc.

I'm wondering - especially from some of the expert players here - where do folks think the meta would most likely shift next? Of course it's very hard to predict but I'm sure some people have thought about it, and maybe even tried to prepare for it. A few folks have mentioned (and EA confirmed) that defense itself might be in for a boost, and so maybe that's a hint?

Anyway, what do you think and why? I've provided a few options but really have no good sense of what a comprehensive scope would look like.

Now's your chance to say "I told you so" when it actually happens. ;)

I'm sure these options have plenty of flaws but...

What will the new meta be? (after this one) 100 votes

Speed/Damage (current meta) - will stay around for a long while
46%
ZarAziHyperalloyilyanorSyth_HunterAdamWArillianxJazzxjeremyj26MerilonAbysmalDarksideCrymsonkyngDempseyJoJoMo_007Emc2GradientEchotjw_tjw14LordStylingMerkur0mThalosKiranoRobbathehutt 46 votes
Defense/Health - Vader, Fives, Savage, Barris, etc.
12%
Itscaptainphasmapay2winTriquiKwynne4444Darth_KatsumotoDarthCranxMikymateEwakawakabigspring78Mr_EelVicSetacSoul_Jah 12 votes
Control/Turn Manipulation - Poggle, Phasma, Old Ben, Dooku, Daka, etv.
14%
SenpaiBishopShanksMeetraSurikThomasLyleFinngarcia_george99EricsonXinfectiouszombieJuan123InternetSwagEnricoPsynapseMo_lizajack0fclubs21 14 votes
Counter/Crit/AOE - Fives, Kylo, Sidious, Kit Fisto
3%
DvorakBaggodiCrokadorfn 3 votes
A specific class - Scoundrel, Empire, Droid, etc.
16%
JJHcosmicturtle333Plague_IncCalus_78XorthyxPlasmajEleiemLazerriftZKlegenyIsThisThomMookDogiakinsQleakBigBoss13behr228Drakomoros 16 votes
Something else
9%
YoYoYoda369Clintos_FreshmakerRogan_Ban84FrenzytomMenaceTECfarid1250AluxendrRiderGurley30 9 votes

Replies

• Options
    Something else
    This meta hasn't been established yet...

People don't have all characters maxed to try them all together.
  • Options
    Ha, well I guess you're not on my shard then, probably 2/3 of the top 25 are Qui Gon teams now.
  • Options
    Something else
    Ugnaughts
  • Options
    I believe the devs said they were working on making defensive skills useful. That would have a pretty big effect.
  • Options
    One of the reasons that the speed/damage meta works is that it's tough for the AI to screw it up.

Turn meter manipulation / control / defense type teams require smarter play than the AI is currently capable of.
  • Options
    For everyone complaining about burst and defense(or the lack thereof) remember that offense is preferable in these games over defense. It prevents stagnation, frustration, and allows for shifts in arena ranks.
  • Options
    I'd like to see tanks get some love. Not about Poe lol. I'd like to hear ST Han or chewie were viable endgame or that some of the tauntless tanks could be more tanky.
  • Options
    Is this with or without changes by the devs? Without, I doubt the meta will shift... characters that can move before everyone else, and kill other toons in 1-2 hits is a pretty solid strategy. Any slower toons are just going to die before they can move, and faster toons... well that just puts you right back into the meta. With changes... who knows? Could go in so many directions.
  • Options
    It will be tanks and counters. Royal Guard, Han, Finn, and 5's will be the next dominant feature.
    Yoda is strong, Jedi are back. Sith still strong. Droids are fallen, but 86 and 88 still strong in Galatic Wars.
    It's not so bad.
  • Options
    MenaceTEC wrote: »

It has been becuase everyone and there mom uses Dooku Sid and Phasma with the other two being whoever they want becuase it doesn't really matter.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options

That makes no sense. The meta is established: speed and damage. But metas change as new synergies are discovered, mechanics are altered, new toons released, etc.

Also, plenty of people have every toon unlocked and maxed. Players like @Naecabon and others in TI have been testing synergies of every different type for months. The established meta is the established meta until something changes within the game and it shifts.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »

That makes no sense. The meta is established: speed and damage. But metas change as new synergies are discovered, mechanics are altered, new toons released, etc.

Also, plenty of people have every toon unlocked and maxed. Players like @Naecabon and others in TI have been testing synergies of every different type for months. The established meta is the established meta until something changes within the game and it shifts.

Do you think EA will actually make a dev change regarding defense?
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options

Only the Devs know.
  • Options
    Squishy Meta
    Speed/Damage has been the meta for a long time. Poe was part of it, as he put up a wall to protect the squishy but fast damage dealers, while exposing and removing turn (ensuring your damage dealers lived to do their damage). Removing Poe and running QGJ as lead is still part of that old meta. I am not saying this to correct you, but to segway into the meta directions that are now at the cusp of evolving.

Jedi Meta
    With the Jedi event, the entire player base began investing in Jedi to some degree (some just a little, some a lot). This inevitably expands the jedi options that players may run, particularly in GW where simi-built heroes from your roster obtain play time. Additionally, Yoda brings balance to the force, uniting the Jedi after the Order 66 patch. Jedi were washed out of meta due to the severity of the Sith counters after Order 66. Now, the Jedi have overcome that counter and are proving to be extremely capable against the top teams. Search for Jedi Master Ailans Youtube videos for proof of the Jedis capabilities at the top of the meta.

Sith Counter Play
    Due to the rise of Jedi meta, the farmability of General Dooku from a Canteena Node, the visibility of team composition in the Arena, and the eminent release of Emperor Palpatine, the Sith will make a soft return only to defeat the Jedi. The Jedi are strong enough to resist the Sith, but RNG is still a determining factor. A Poe may be required to give the Sith the opportunity to cull the Jedi.

AoE Meta
    Another rising power in the current meta is AoE. Sure, AoE - like the jedi - already had their day in the sun, and were nerfed out of meta. Nothing substantial has changed with AoE (except for Dots kill, then dots dont kill, expecting dots to kill again). AoE is making a comeback only because the current meta relies on speed and damage but are very squishy and can be killed easily, where AoE typically have large health-pools and do just enough damage to level a board populated by squishy heroes.

Tanky Meta
    With the impending changes to Defense (alluded to be the devs, and desperately needed for the game to continue), tanky heroes are also a rising choice (5s, Savage, Kit, Kylo, etc.). These types of heroes fall out of the previous two new metas, making it a natural progressing meta as things evolve. When the Defense patch drops, this meta will rise to the top, as AOE and Jedi will be flushed without the squishy boards being popular. The squishy meta wont return against the formidable defense of the tank squad.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • bigspring78
    99 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the votes/comments! Super interesting.

From an admittedly totally uninformed opinion, I have to think they will tweak Defense, and the meta will shift towards high health/tanks/defense. I think guys like Barriss, Fives, etc will reign supreme. My rough prediction is that it will coincide with the level 80 cap increase or shortly after. If QGJ's level 80 ability does in fact give speed +23 to ALL allies, it will become Barriss/Poe all over again -- and we know how the devs react when that happens.

We'll see though...
  • Options
    What they said about defense is that it is working as intended and that it has the groundwork if they choose to employ it further. I just wanted to clarify that they have not stated that they ever will choose to add to the defense, they merely stated that it was there like they wanted it to be. Good future planning on their part, I think.

I'm going to vote that the speed meta will be around for awhile though I don't think all shards are created equally. Mine, for instance, only has 1 or 2 of these teams. Most are Phasma+Sid+Daka+Kylo type teams, so my shard has its own meta. I'm moving towards a team that I believe will consistently beat this team and the QGJ teams at level 80.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    For everyone complaining about burst and defense(or the lack thereof) remember that offense is preferable in these games over defense. It prevents stagnation, frustration, and allows for shifts in arena ranks.

I've played quite a few games similar to GoH, and 'First Strike' teams are almost always the best option.

Only the Devs know.

They've actually hinted to this on a few occasions. And players here keep asking for it, so it's very likely.
    medetec wrote: »
    I believe the devs said they were working on making defensive skills useful. That would have a pretty big effect.

Doubtful.
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    One of the reasons that the speed/damage meta works is that it's tough for the AI to screw it up.

Turn meter manipulation / control / defense type teams require smarter play than the AI is currently capable of.

Yep. I personally haven't found Turn Meter manipulation to be useful, save for Phasma.
  • Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »
    What they said about defense is that it is working as intended and that it has the groundwork if they choose to employ it further. I just wanted to clarify that they have not stated that they ever will choose to add to the defense, they merely stated that it was there like they wanted it to be. Good future planning on their part, I think.

Correct. So we dont have confirmation. However, if you look at Jedi Knight Luke Skywalkers basic attack (data mined), you'll see that it has the property of a % chance to ignore defense. Evasion and health are not apart of "defense" as they have their own classifications of buffs/debuffs. So, "defense" means armor. Currently, armor is a flat number. Chewbaccas Leader which grants allies 50 defense, for example, provides a flat mitigation of 50 damage from an attack. With heroes dealing 5,000 to 15,000 damage with a single attack (even a basic attack), reducing that damage by 50 (15,000 - 50 = 14,050 damage) is absolutely moot. They MUST evolve defense for the game to survive, otherwise as damage numbers increase, half of the heroes in the game with some form of "defense" ability will become useless as well. The big release of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker will motivate this change if this change isnt implemented prior to his release.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Options
    When I say "defense", I mean it more as a collective term to imply any changes to health, armor, evasion, etc. I might be using incorrectly.
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What pilot said, speed builds and counter speed AOE/Dot builds are the only ones with a small chance to defend at the moment. Everything else is getting picked apart.

Dont see anything changing until maybe Rex starts showing up, or new characters get released.
  • Options
    Something else
    Here is a good prediction, and advice:

At some point the damage to health ratio is going to decrease. Tankier characters are going to become more viable and valuable as levels increase, especially STR based characters with high STR gain/lvl at 7* like Ben, Vader, Fives, Kit, etc.

A good way to maintain damage while having that tankiness is going to be a Boba Fett leader at 80.

I know this sounds bizarre, but I could easily see a team with Boba (L), Vader, Ben, Kit, Kylo being very strong at 80 with current stat and skill progressions. 50% crit damage, 10% crit chance, a lot of life and high base damages are going to combine survivability, ability blocks, potency up, good AoE damage, high critical damage and a couple of hard nukes to be dangerous.

That's the current 5 I'm looking at to have geared and ready for 80's Arena.
  • Options
    I have zero hope the meta will ever change.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    From what I understand based on people who have played HODA, speed and damage are the meta there too and have been for a long time. If this is true, I don't expect that to change here.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Pilot wrote: »
    Squishy Meta
    Speed/Damage has been the meta for a long time. Poe was part of it, as he put up a wall to protect the squishy but fast damage dealers, while exposing and removing turn (ensuring your damage dealers lived to do their damage). Removing Poe and running QGJ as lead is still part of that old meta. I am not saying this to correct you, but to segway into the meta directions that are now at the cusp of evolving.

Jedi Meta
    With the Jedi event, the entire player base began investing in Jedi to some degree (some just a little, some a lot). This inevitably expands the jedi options that players may run, particularly in GW where simi-built heroes from your roster obtain play time. Additionally, Yoda brings balance to the force, uniting the Jedi after the Order 66 patch. Jedi were washed out of meta due to the severity of the Sith counters after Order 66. Now, the Jedi have overcome that counter and are proving to be extremely capable against the top teams. Search for Jedi Master Ailans Youtube videos for proof of the Jedis capabilities at the top of the meta.

Sith Counter Play
    Due to the rise of Jedi meta, the farmability of General Dooku from a Canteena Node, the visibility of team composition in the Arena, and the eminent release of Emperor Palpatine, the Sith will make a soft return only to defeat the Jedi. The Jedi are strong enough to resist the Sith, but RNG is still a determining factor. A Poe may be required to give the Sith the opportunity to cull the Jedi.

AoE Meta
    Another rising power in the current meta is AoE. Sure, AoE - like the jedi - already had their day in the sun, and were nerfed out of meta. Nothing substantial has changed with AoE (except for Dots kill, then dots dont kill, expecting dots to kill again). AoE is making a comeback only because the current meta relies on speed and damage but are very squishy and can be killed easily, where AoE typically have large health-pools and do just enough damage to level a board populated by squishy heroes.

Tanky Meta
    With the impending changes to Defense (alluded to be the devs, and desperately needed for the game to continue), tanky heroes are also a rising choice (5s, Savage, Kit, Kylo, etc.). These types of heroes fall out of the previous two new metas, making it a natural progressing meta as things evolve. When the Defense patch drops, this meta will rise to the top, as AOE and Jedi will be flushed without the squishy boards being popular. The squishy meta wont return against the formidable defense of the tank squad.

Love your input as always. Glad you aren't charging. :D
  • Options
    . With heroes dealing 5,000 to 15,000 damage with a single attack (even a basic attack), reducing that damage by 50 (15,000 - 50 = 14,050 damage)

Sorry - this was bugging me. 15,000 - 50 = 14,950 (not 14,050) - making it even more useless than the original equation suggested. [/mathpolice]
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

So, "defense" means armor. Currently, armor is a flat number. Chewbaccas Leader which grants allies 50 defense, for example, provides a flat mitigation of 50 damage from an attack. With heroes dealing 5,000 to 15,000 damage with a single attack (even a basic attack), reducing that damage by 50 (15,000 - 50 = 14,050 damage) is absolutely moot.
    Doesn't work that way. A dev confirmed in the real official forum (reddit, where everything bis said before) that the math is

Mitigation = Defense / (Defense + (Level * 10)).

So it is a %. Just very low
  • Options
    Control/Turn Manipulation - Poggle, Phasma, Old Ben, Dooku, Daka, etv.
    Phasma is the future.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |