Speed Stat

Every mod guide I see puts an enormous emphasis on the speed stat, suggesting that almost every character gets mods with speed as a secondary stat. But despite the consensus that speed is so important, no guide ever recommends to equip speed sets to get the bonus. Why? What am I missing?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think it just depends on the character. Speed is a 4-mod set, so it means you're missing out on crit damage, or two sets of crit chance or potency. Some characters in some circumstances you might want to just slap a speed set on.

But on a lot of toons, that set is going to add maybe +12 speed. If you have crit damage mods that have good speed secondaries, you might find that the damage set is worth more to you.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    'cause speed set uses up 4 slots for something like +16 at BEST (the toon you put them on must have fantastic base speed for this number). so the gain isn't too great. and almost everyone could use other bonuses like potency for toons meant to control others, or dps for attackers, or health for tanks
  • Options
    Because there are no such thing as crit damage secondaries.
  • Options
    Well they must have made speed (and crit damage) a 4 mod set because its a better stat than the rest. Every self proclaimed guru raves about speed.
  • Options
    I use Speed set on all my Arena characters and have no problems getting 1st daily. Sometimes, a guide is just a guide, you have to decide if it works for your own strategy.

Especially now that the newer characters have decent speed, the bonus from speed set seems even more worthwhile to me. CLS, R2, GAT all get 15 bonus speed from the set. Crit damage triangles are a must though.
  • Options
    BeehiveX wrote: »
    Well they must have made speed (and crit damage) a 4 mod set because its a better stat than the rest. Every self proclaimed guru raves about speed.

The issue is that the 10% bonus for 4xlvl15 speed mods is off base speed only. And I'm certain that this bonus figure is rounded down (e.g. a toon with base speed 120 and 129 will BOTH only gain +12 bonus speed from a full speed set).

So, unless you manage to find 4xlvl15 speed set mods with amazing secondary speed*, you will get better speed bonus from 6 other mods AND get better damage / potency or whatever. Not much point being the fastest in a duel if your gun shoots potato bullets.
    * which is an absolutely soul destroying process.

• Options

The issue is that the 10% bonus for 4xlvl15 speed mods is off base speed only. And I'm certain that this bonus figure is rounded down (e.g. a toon with base speed 120 and 129 will BOTH only gain +12 bonus speed from a full speed set).

So, unless you manage to find 4xlvl15 speed set mods with amazing secondary speed*, you will get better speed bonus from 6 other mods AND get better damage / potency or whatever. Not much point being the fastest in a duel if your gun shoots potato bullets.
    Yeah, but talking max speed mods are hard to find for any type, the bonus being 12-15 speed faster is massive when you always work with average mods, it's not more unlikely to get a +20 speed secondary on speed mods than any other.

What eventually means that with the same farming you can have +90 on a normal set means +105 on a speed mod set that could make your toon go first and the second turn even faster than the other sets, still a win-win situation to farm speed set mods.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    TofuMao wrote: »

Yeah, but talking max speed mods are hard to find for any type, the bonus being 12-15 speed faster is massive when you always work with average mods, it's not more unlikely to get a +20 speed secondary on speed mods than any other.

What eventually means that with the same farming you can have +90 on a normal set means +105 on a speed mod set that could make your toon go first and the second turn even faster than the other sets, still a win-win situation to farm speed set mods.

But you won't get +30% crit damage from secondaries on a speed set. Plus, there's the option of using two sets, such as crit chance. potency, health. So you could have more chsnce to get higher secondaries there.

Not arguing for one or another--I definitely have speed sets on some toons. Just illustrating why it's not always the hands down best choice. It really depends on the character and situation.