Old Ben zeta - Devoted Protector

Napoli
544 posts Member
I am giving serious thought to putting a zeta on Old Ben's "Devoted Protector" in a week or so. I run a team of zzCLS/Zolo/R2z2/Leia/OB.

Any thoughts on using it or fighting against it?

I have two thoughts that give me pause. First, it's a zeta on a very single-use character. That said, arena is a pretty good reason to put a zeta on a character you really only use in one place. Second, even with great mods, Ben is a very slow toon. I don't have plans to put a zeta on CLS lead anytime soon just to speed him up. My concern is whether it's worth the zeta to preserve the taunt after dispelled by Thrawn/CLS/Nihlus if it takes him too long to taunt in the first place.

Even with those two concerns I may go ahead and do it - but I would be grateful for any observations you guys have.

Replies

• M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    errr, CLS's cleanse special also puts on buff immunity, which immediately negates this zeta's purpose. so i think in this meta enviornment, not quite worth it
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    M_L wrote: »
    errr, CLS's cleanse special also puts on buff immunity, which immediately negates this zeta's purpose. so i think in this meta enviornment, not quite worth it

It's partially dependent upon his potency rate, and in most cases we're looking at Thrawn and CLS. Still, good feedback if this is from experience - thanks!
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    I know in my experience fighting against it, the zeta is quite a pain. Thus far, I've never been able to keep it off with my CLS special. We're probably only talking about 20 battles or so, but nonetheless it is a 0% success rate thus far in keeping the taunt from popping right back up.
  • kevsmart
    492 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

The buff is reapplied through buff block and fracture. Would be thoroughly useless if it didn't.

Edit to answer the original question: I have been debating this being my next zeta for a while now (Finn won the last round). I may hold off again depending on how Phoenix pans out but it is an interesting zeta. I run zCLS zHan zzR2 OB GK and think the extra taunt would be REALLY annoying to deal with.
  • Faa
    123 posts Member
    Options
    With or without his zeta, he is excellent and really good if not a better choice than Thrawn. A couple of my shardmates run CLS - R2 - GK - Han - Ben and it's frustrating to deal with their squad. His taunt uptime is very high thanks to his unique and CLS his zeta, the crit hit immunity he receives from GK allows him take quite A LOT of damage.

Checked your profile, really get your GK up and replace him with Leia. Old Ben is definitely one of the better tanks these days.

R2's Combat Analysis and CLS lead deal with that.

• Options
    The taunts mantains through cls special and fracture, it is a great zeta and a pain to fight against
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    It will be a long haul until my GK is high enough @Faa. In the meantime, I am planning to replace my Leia with zATF in about two months. In the meantime, I am holding well. We've had one person in my Dec. 2015 shard switch to the CLS/Han/R2/GK/OB team. Thankfully it's not too difficult to beat yet but it is frustrating for the first half of the battle. The other leaders of the shard have switched away from GK entirely in favor of Old Ben. All either have the zeta or it will be the next one.

@Shankssempai - I thought that was the case with the OB zeta, but assumed @M_L knew something I didn't. It would be a tougher call if the zeta was nothing more than an anti-fracture tool.
  • Faa
    123 posts Member
    Options
    @Napoli GK's crit hit immunity is too valuable imo

But the question is; is your old ben's taunt uptime high enough?
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    you know what, maybe you're right, i don't recall bothering to check if the OBs have that skill zeta'd...

still, with DNs aplenty in my shard, another cleanse is pretty easy to come by, so.... i dunno...
  • Options
    The zeta works because of the timing sequence of the abilities.

CLS cleanses Taunt
    OB Zeta kicks in and replaces it
    CLS applies buff immunity

So 2nd taunt is in place before the buff immunity is applied.
  • Faa
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Flakbait wrote: »
    The zeta works because of the timing sequence of the abilities.

CLS cleanses Taunt
    OB Zeta kicks in and replaces it
    CLS applies buff immunity

So 2nd taunt is in place before the buff immunity is applied.

That's AFTER Ben taunted. They're talking about applying buff immunity before Ben uses his taunt which he won't be able to gain without a cleanse.
  • Options
    Old Ben zeta is awesome. Run him in all my teams, awesome even if you don’t have him in a rebel lineup. Forces the enemies to use CLS special on him before he taunts, which can be tricky if you run a fast r2 or multiple taunts and cleansers
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    you know what, maybe you're right, i don't recall bothering to check if the OBs have that skill zeta'd...

still, with DNs aplenty in my shard, another cleanse is pretty easy to come by, so.... i dunno...

Certainly a valid point. However, I can't think of the last time I faced a team with CLS, Thrawn and Nihilus. Usually Nihilus runs with the Rex crowd, and Thrawn moves interchangeably between Rex and CLS leads. So most often you are only dealing with two of them. If a team has all three they usually lose the synergy and power that would otherwise make them difficult to beat and the zeta is a moot point as you win regardless.

Another factor to consider is the R2 stealth/foresight ability which will often negate an opening move by Thrawn or CLS. And if there are only normally two toons like that, then you're set for a few rounds as the combination of the R2 special and OB zeta keeps your taunt up after two dispels.
  • Options
    I run Old Ben zeta and it has won me so many rounds. Even against dispellers the zeta is very useful.
  • Options
    OB's first special (TMR/offense down/ability block) can also be a lifesaver in TB. So he's not entirely single-use. The one guy on my shard who Zeta'd him has enjoyed it so far; he uses CLS Han R2 GK OB and the taunts last forever tbh.
  • Options
    Excellent feedback, @Assassin84 and @BrianBuchanans - thank you!
  • Options
    I don't think it's a diverse enough zeta to be worth it. I think it's too arena-specific, which means when this meta is gone the zeta will be a waste. Reminds me of the DN leader zeta at the time he was released...was it a decent upgrade at the time for arena? Sure, but it was far from OP or gamechanging. Did the zeta have any longevity in its use?? - not really. Is it really good anywhere else? Nope. It wasn't a game changer...it was "nice" -- Old Ben's zeta is "nice" but, we are about to come up on TLJ and get a ton of new toons, many of which I'm sure will have zetas, some probably really strong. Take it from someone who used a lot of "nice" zetas on stuff like Darth Maul or Savage Opress that don't have much use outside of arena for a few weeks or so...just save it. If you can do without it don't spend it. Wait for the next really strong team configuration that needs that zeta much more.
  • Bennehftw
    316 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love fighting Ob teams.

Stupid easy to dispel taunt twice. (How is that word censored? You guys are insane)

Not to mention killing OB doesn't do much these days. But it's pretty easy to dispel him twice and still save him for last.

But hey, I auto Arena unless they have DN on their team. OB is just one of the easiest toons to deal with.
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    Bennehftw wrote: »
    I love fighting Ob teams.

**** easy to dispel taunt twice. (How is that word censored? You guys are insane)

Not to mention killing OB doesn't do much these days. But it's pretty easy to dispel him twice and still save him for last.

But hey, I auto Arena unless they have DN on their team. OB is just one of the easiest toons to deal with.

Who is your team that you can auto meta teams on a regular basis?
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a diverse enough zeta to be worth it. I think it's too arena-specific, which means when this meta is gone the zeta will be a waste. Reminds me of the DN leader zeta at the time he was released...was it a decent upgrade at the time for arena? Sure, but it was far from OP or gamechanging. Did the zeta have any longevity in its use?? - not really. Is it really good anywhere else? Nope. It wasn't a game changer...it was "nice" -- Old Ben's zeta is "nice" but, we are about to come up on TLJ and get a ton of new toons, many of which I'm sure will have zetas, some probably really strong. Take it from someone who used a lot of "nice" zetas on stuff like Darth Maul or Savage Opress that don't have much use outside of arena for a few weeks or so...just save it. If you can do without it don't spend it. Wait for the next really strong team configuration that needs that zeta much more.

This is my fear - and one of my two reservations referred to above. Great feedback - thanks!
  • Options
    Agreed that it's more of a "nice" zeta or tier 2 vs tier 1, but unless your going for a full titan team, or already have zetas on the titans, then this is definitely a tier 2 zeta worth getting.