Chromium pack spending

CookieCrispp
555 posts Member
edited February 2016
Ok. I get it, most people grab their torches when they hear about chromium spending. Regardless of your stance on the exclusivity or lack thereof of chromium toons, please hear me out.

I've spent a bit on this game. I had some money put aside for the February character release and shard shop. I was planning on splurging on chromium packs (I happen to like them at times). I cannot justify opening packs due to one niche character per update, especially when the value of excess shards is so low. Please, for the love of all that is Jedi (or sith or jar jar) please increase the rationale to spend. Because, i know that my spending has fallen as a result of diminishing returns for little gains.

My suggestions (and I feel they are conservative in their reach) are:
- release more than one character at a time
- allow the new character(s) a much or a guaranteed drop rate for x days after release.
- rethink excess shards and the shard shop

Because right now there is even less of a reason to spend. And I'm seeing this as a dangerous and worrying trend as it could adversely effect game growth and spending.

I've made this poll anonymous so as to not call people out.

Chromium pack spending 34 votes

It has gone up
0% 0 votes
It has stayed the same
14% 5 votes
It has gone down
41% 14 votes
I have stopped spending due to exclusivity concerns
17% 6 votes
I have been f2p but support you
17% 6 votes
I have been f2p and disagree with you
8% 3 votes

Replies

• Options
    Please feel free to vote and/or comment. I'm trying to just get a sense of what people think and want.
  • Options
    You missed an option for those who are spenders, but only use crystals on refreshes because of the atrocious ROI of chromium.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    You missed an option for those who are spenders, but only use crystals on refreshes because of the atrocious ROI of chromium.

Fair enough. I've actually shifted to that mode due to the sadness that is one new toon.
  • Options
    I typically spend about $20 a week but last week $120. My team is exactly the same and I do not see any value to spending currently. I'm dropping spending. It's been so bad I've actually cut playing a lot. After 3 chromium pulls of Ugnaught / Ewok Scout as my Garunteed characters filled with SnowTrooper and other complete junk shards I just do not see any benefit to my level of spending to continue. Especially when you hear it takes about $2K to get one to 7*. I was spending $20 a week for refills but that's changing now too. Since update I have had such a pathetic drop rate it's just not bad luck it's an obvious change in percentage. All progression went to a crawl despite my jump in spending. I'm done with for now because as I said my team is exactly the same as it was.
  • Sonofnoob
    119 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There needs to be a better way to get new characters. I'm current F2P only because I'm not spending money to "gamble" for in game toons. If I could buy a character or shards out right for a decent price (not $60 for a character and a bunch of junk I don't need) the Darkside pack was fair and I wish I bought it? But at the time I wasn't sure I liked the game enough to buy something. Now that I do I wouldn't hesitate to spend $6 on Dooku or most other characters for that matter. But not a "chance" sorry, I'm not a gambler. Hell, considering a AAA title game is $60, for $60 I should get every character lol
  • Options
    When I saw the exchange rate for the shard shop I stopped spending. I won't open any more packs until the shard shop has a fair rate. Part of opening packs is the excitement, but that's gone now for me. To be honest I didn't even bother entering the shard shop yet because it's such a bad deal.
    114 posts Member
    Options
    I'm still can't understand why people are spending on these packs, do you go to the shop and role a dice and see what you have to eat???
  • Options
    123 wrote: »
    I'm still can't understand why people are spending on these packs, do you go to the shop and role a dice and see what you have to eat???
    It's more like purchasing booster packs from any TCG instead of buying individual cards. Some of us enjoy using small amounts of disposable income to improve our enjoyment/variety in games we spend a lot of time in.
    114 posts Member
    Options
    It's more like purchasing booster packs from any TCG instead of buying individual cards. Some of us enjoy using small amounts of disposable income to improve our enjoyment/variety in games we spend a lot of time in.

Wouldn't you prefer to spend money on the toons you actually want? I want steak I buy steak, not a box of random items and just hope it's in there, it doesn't make sense to me, people are spending thousands on random items it's crazy I honestly can't understand it, they'd have better luck on the lottery spending that much.
  • Sonofnoob
    119 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Now see a TCG style purchase wouldn't be bad $5.99 gets u a pack of 9 character shard drops and 1 character. That I would buy, but not these, chromium cards
  • Options
    no more spending for me

ROI is way too bad

plus, it really bugs me, that if your "garanteed toon" in an 8 pack is an already unlocked toon, and you get less then half his original value.

• Options
    I think a handful of new exclusives would be great. But a lot has to go into a character. Designing from scratch is tough to do in an established Eco system of the game. As we can see, some very small adjustments recently made or broke characters in dramatic ways. New toons can bring up balance, but also cause more harm. I'd rather see toons slowly introduced and well thought out rather than dumping a bunch in quickly and fixing later. There's 70 levels 8 gear levels and 7 star levels to test to ensure the toon isn't way too powerful, yet unique and useful enough to be "exclusive". I cannot see them doing a good job with a bunch of toons at once.

As for the spending, I feel like once you put real money into a game, you need to take away the element of chance. Chromium packs are a fine line. They cost game currency, but more often than not, it takes real money to get enough to justify spending it. Yet with chromium packs, the odds are not in your favor that you'll get what you find "useful". For that reason I don't spend a lot on chromium packs. Hardly ever. Once I get to a point where I'm not bleeding crystals to level up my main toons, I might by more with what I accumulate over a few days. Until then, it's F2P unless there's enough "chance" removed from the chromium packs to justify spending real money on.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    no more spending for me

ROI is way too bad

plus, it really bugs me, that if your "garanteed toon" in an 8 pack is an already unlocked toon, and you get less then half his original value.

Yeah, you should get the same amount of shards whether you have the character or not.

As for me, I don't buy Chromiums. When the game was much newer, I got lucky on a couple of the 8x packs and netted myself a Kylo and a Dooku, but now I don't buy them at all. After the GW retreat change, I went almost straight f2p, only spending on the monthly crystal pack.