F2P

DarthDuck
195 posts Member
edited October 2017
I’m 100% F2P, and I’m proud of that. Dolphins and whales I’m not saying what you do is wrong by any means, it’s just not something feasible for my current income. But my situation is getting out of hand.

I’m relatively new to the game, started in April of this year and i have been told I’m advancing very fast for being all F2P. I have about 500,000 GP and again very proud of my accomplishments. My issue now is gear. I have 2 G11 toons and several G10 and 9 toons that are taking a very long time to gear up. I wish there was a way to have a better chance of getting hard gear from nodes so I don’t spend hundreds of crystals a day and get 3 pieces out of the 50 I need.

Also the zeta issue. I have an almost maxed fulcrum thanks to fleet shipments (no complaints here about the new store :) ) and her whirlwind now needs a zeta. My Darth Vader now needs a zeta. I had been using Ezra because he had no zetas, and because of the new update he now has a zeta. I’ll be (hopefully) winning my hard earned and favorite Star Wars character, R2-D2. He has not one, but two zetas!! I get you can unlock zetas from the ship challenge but that isn’t very F2P accesible. I also don’t really need ships because the 1,000 fleet tokens is more than enough for me.

F2P is something that is very hard to do at this point in the game. I have almost spent money on this game so many times, and it’s still tempting. To all of those who are strictly 100% F2P, I salute you. To those of you who aren’t, I still salute you for your dedication to this game. I just don’t have the means like other to spend money on a game.
Post edited by Vampire_X on

Replies

• Options
    That's the way this game has always been. I started when it first came out and am f2p. It takes time but is actually a bit easier now. There are more opportunities to get gear. Plus you can focus on specific toons rather than get a lot of junk ones. There is a lot of info out there to help people like you. To help with gear grind you should get in with a guild that does raids frequently.
  • Options
    ... And then? ...

Not sure if you are looking for advice, but stew on this for a bit:
    • Zetas are not easy to get. The best way to get them is buying them in the Fleet Store. Zetas from the challenge are nice if/when they drop, but they are not the primary source by any means.
    • The DS ship challenge is not a p2p event; f2p can do it too. You just need to farm the ships ... and the pilots. It may take some time ... it may take more than 6 months. It took me 6 months just to farm FOTP up to 7*.
    • Hard gear also takes time. 3 pieces out of 120 energy is better than average. To speed the farm, use crystals for refreshes. CAVEAT: sometimes it makes more sense to save crystals and buy a full piece when it shows up in shipments, for me anyway.
    • Enjoy the game!
  • Options
    Level your ships. buying zetas in the fleet store is meant to be your main supply, the challenge is just bonus
  • Options
    Yeah I feel you OP, been F2P since I started in November '16. It gets more fun though as your roster grows and you're able to do more. Just set some goals and work towards them, don't focus on the mountain of gear in front of you because it'll always be there; instead focus on your favorite toons and level them up.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    You're obviously doing it wrong. I'm a f2p as well, around 900 GP and with 2 zetas, third halfway on farm. Never bought any zetas from the store.

Forget about character shard farming in fleet and farm 100% ships until you are able to farm zetas from the challenge. Then buy whatever you want from fleet shop. But ships should be your priority now.

Re gear: I agree with you that this is a hard bottleneck for f2p, but after removing gear from fleet shop, the devs didn't leave much options for f2p but farming from nodes and buying gear from TB store. They obviously did this on purpose, to make gear less accessible, so don't expect this changing soon. I farm most of my gear with energy atm.
  • Options
    Zetas arent meant to go on every character that has one. You should prioritize who to zeta based on what works with your arena team, and what will give you exponential growth in the raids.
  • Options
    You may want to consider buying gear with crystals from shipments instead of the regular nodes. Once I started doing that, I geared my toons a lot faster. Just discipline yourself to save them.
  • Options
    So what’s your point OP?
  • Options
    Matke wrote: »
    , but after removing gear from fleet shop, the devs didn't leave much options for f2p but farming from nodes and buying gear from TB store. They obviously did this on purpose, to make gear less accessible

^^ and in CG making that decision, has prompt me to no longer play this game.

I've been mostly FTP since December '15, (with the exception of a few small purchases with saved Google Play credits), and I believe FTP have been treated at least somewhat fairly up until recently. While I understand the concept of their, (CG's), decision making, it doesn't mean I'll willingly bend over and take it any longer. I've stuck with this game for so long because I wanted to see my guild progress, but even now my guild is saying what's happening isn't reasonable for FTP. Props to all those who can make it work by investing their time, but after a span of nearly two years of solid gear grind, I cannot continue in this pattern of neverending frustration, (grinding).

In all seriousness, I do thank the Devs @ CG/EA for all the hard work they've vested into this game over the years, you've made it into one of the most influential and massive mobile games out there to this date, and I do hope your prosperity continues.

Side note to CG: I have over 700,000 worthless Ally Points saved up, maybe you can find a way to donate them to someone who has the attention span to get rid of them 250pts at a time. Lol
  • Options
    I have been focusing on fulcrum because I’m gonna use her till the end or when the Meta changes. I’ll farm zetas from fleet store after she’s 7*. Thank you for the advice guys. One comment, Matke how long have you been playing? Because 900,000 GP isn’t possible for just over the summer and F2P. You either have been playing for years or are a dolphin
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    wait, people who pay money are doing better than people that don't? crazy....
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    DarthDuck wrote: »
    I have been focusing on fulcrum because I’m gonna use her till the end or when the Meta changes. I’ll farm zetas from fleet store after she’s 7*.

Ok, but then why are you complaining about it? You are intentionally choosing to do something else rather than get zetas you could have had, and are upset that you don't have the zetas? I, too, do not understand the point of this post.
  • Options
    atm im a Pure F2p due to monetary problems still i can curve that and make myself stand against dolphin and some whales, all you need a solid squad, i started last year, May 20, 2016 (is the date on swgoh.gg, so it maybe a couple months prior), for squads i have really bad rng, so when raid gear comes it comes with the ones i don't need or the ones i need in very low quantities, atm with the new changes (before we had fleet shipment gear, each helped me a lot) for the gear.
    for example in the start of the zeta era i gave my first zeta to maul due to his leadership and meta, then kylo being op both in the raid and arena i gave him too, since it had 2 good major spots, promoting him to my squad,
    but instead of farming the 2000 currency to get the zeta i had gear farm, so only the challenges rewarded me it, so basically every 2 months i had a zeta (if i didn't wasted all the ability 3 and omega beforehand :V)

atm i have 5 zetas, 4 more and i have the 6...

i choose by order of necessity/viability
    i choose darth mauk 1st, kylo 2nd, finn 3rd(while not in my team, it made the resistance gw ready and i needed it :V, r2-d2 number crunch 4th and han solo raid the last.

i advice checking youtube for guides and viability mostly warrior's, mobilegamer and ahnald's channel, and also https://swgoh.gg/zeta-report/

the most i can tell is that to focus on your arena squad only, only when those are in a good position then start having backup to the main team, and then only after you can start getting 2-3 squads(to back up the meta change), when we start playing the game we would have the problem of wanting to spending all the gear in all the needing characters, each is bad since we will need it later for necessary character later down the line.

hope this helped
    "I don't search for bugs, they find me and beat me endlessly" - JarDorK
    My views are my own... except when they are wrong... then it's jar jar's fault

Pure F2P at heart
  • Options
    JMoneyBoi wrote: »
    , but after removing gear from fleet shop, the devs didn't leave much options for f2p but farming from nodes and buying gear from TB store. They obviously did this on purpose, to make gear less accessible

I've been mostly FTP since December '15, (with the exception of a few small purchases with saved Google Play credits), and I believe FTP have been treated at least somewhat fairly up until recently. While I understand the concept of their, (CG's), decision making, it doesn't mean I'll willingly bend over and take it any longer.

That's the thing though, I don't think F2P players "take it" in the way you mean at all. We get an enjoyable game for free and if it becomes not enjoyable we can quit because the only thing we have invested is time.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Sothe
    179 posts Member
    Options
    I mean. I guess farming zetas is hard if you didnt focus on getting the dark side ships for the Executrix as you were leveling.
  • Options
    So I'm not f2p, typically spend $100 or so a month, and I have to say I agree. Spent 2-3 times this when it made a difference but now it doesn't even dent the gear gate. seriously, we have g12, we have all these exclusive toons that require every Tom, **** and harry to get... move the gear gate back a bit so people can actually, you know, collect stuff in their collection game. Give me a stupid shard every time I farm a hard node, if I don't spend $ I can still only get 5 a day. keep the zeta rare if you must, at least I can make a few different squads to compete in midlevel arena instead of pumping resources into a top ten boring as all hell rebel meta. I'd spend the same money, It wouldn't break the game, whales would still dominate, and we'd all have a lot more fun.
  • Options
    Matke how long have you been playing? Because 900,000 GP isn’t possible for just over the summer and F2P. You either have been playing for years or are a dolphin

If you're going by Matke's swgoh.gg profile, the date listed on there is just when you sign up with swgoh.gg, not when you started playing the game.

And btw I think your sense of what a F2P can accomplish is off...I started in late Jan 2017, I'm 100% F2P and my GP is getting close to 1.3m.
  • Options
    The Zeta challenge is not p2p by any means...it takes a while as it should, but you just need to focus on your DS fleet (preferably those single pilots one), and their ship can be bought from the fleet store. so it's like an investment of your fleet token to get more in the future.
    You need to ditch farming Rebels and focus on Boba's and Vader's ship, they're really good and the pilots are good as well.
  • Options
    Treat it less like a crisis and more like a really, really slow grind. Don't worry, that stuff isn't going anywhere
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options

I've been mostly FTP since December '15, (with the exception of a few small purchases with saved Google Play credits), and I believe FTP have been treated at least somewhat fairly up until recently. While I understand the concept of their, (CG's), decision making, it doesn't mean I'll willingly bend over and take it any longer. I've stuck with this game for so long because I wanted to see my guild progress, but even now my guild is saying what's happening isn't reasonable for FTP. Props to all those who can make it work by investing their time, but after a span of nearly two years of solid gear grind, I cannot continue in this pattern of neverending frustration, (grinding).

In all seriousness, I do thank the Devs @ CG/EA for all the hard work they've vested into this game over the years, you've made it into one of the most influential and massive mobile games out there to this date, and I do hope your prosperity continues.

Side note to CG: I have over 700,000 worthless Ally Points saved up, maybe you can find a way to donate them to someone who has the attention span to get rid of them 250pts at a time. Lol

Just slide those ally points to me under the table. Nobody will notice.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    So what’s your point OP?

Probably just seeking reaffirmation over his F2P insecurities and ego?
  • Options

So nobody is going to tell him he could have gotten a ton of gear by converting those ally points to possible shards. U just hit the button constantly I did 300,000 while watching a football game if u didn't have the attention span to do that how did u have it to be free to play since dec15. It is actually easier to get gear now then it ever was.
  • Options
    I have a FTP account that gets 1st in both arenas (far from the best squad though), however to be fair, I had a P2P account first in which I learned exactly what I needed to do. I think that gave me an advantage in not wasting resources. Just saying, it's possible.
  • Options
    I'm F2P and I have always been, since February 2016. I get first on both arenas and my GP just got over 2M (today, yay).

Still, i get what you mean. It's better the longer you play, as at first there are so many options and very little resources. Specially newer ftp, who started with over 100 characters to farm, zetas, gear 12, and multiple raids. So, it comes down to patience as someday you will catch up and just stay there on top (if you're smart enough)
  • Options

I have been focusing on fulcrum because I’m gonna use her till the end or when the Meta changes. I’ll farm zetas from fleet store after she’s 7*. Thank you for the advice guys. One comment, Matke how long have you been playing? Because 900,000 GP isn’t possible for just over the summer and F2P. You either have been playing for years or are a dolphin

I play since end January/begining of February, dont remember. And I played clueless for months until i checked reddit and forums, which slowed me down. Anyway, its quite possible, you just need good strategy and proper decisions to achieve above average f2p game. I am top 50 Arena most of the time lately and top 20 ships, which is more than allright compared to whales who spend thousands to get top ranks.