Galactic War = Galactic Bore

I'm going to briefly vent - feel free to check out now if you're tired of the whine.

How in the world is Galactic War still a thing? Out of all the content in this game (which I love), GW is such a heinous chore. And I say that as someone who has not failed to complete it more than once since getting access to it (and broke node 12 long ago).

It is ridiculously imbalanced, un-fun, and a daily hassle (particularly in light of all the additional content that serves as a time sink). It should either be replaced with something more engaging, or turned into a showcase for unorthodox team comps (or an advertisement for new and reworked characters). It should not continue to be a mind-numbing litany of CLS-driven arena teams...

C'mon devs. You're killing me.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    gw = best mode in the game =D
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • MDTODDY
    41 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sorry but I think GW is the best part of the game. Sure it’s tough but it’s supposed to be and for those who can’t complete it then I’m afraid your roster just isn’t strong enough. Endless posts complaining about it is the real bore.
  • Options
    I too enjoy it for what it is, an edurance test of your Roster. Sadly people seem to not have the time to actually play games now. Lord knows how some of you would have fared with indepth games like Baldurs Gate, Final Fantasy and MMO's. If it takes more than 3 minutes everyone seems to have a panic attack.
    I fight the good fight
  • Options
    I think it's one of the most enjoyable part of the game; You get to try unusal comp and character you would never use otherwise. Sure, now that CLS infest 4 or 5 nodes, it's a bit more bland than before but still.

Obviously, if you cheese through it with Resistance it will seems boring. I just preload the Resistance team in the first node in case of a very though Node 12, but otherwise I try to go wild and fight with sub-optimal or the less used characters of my roster for fun. It's pretty nice.
  • Options
    Durango wrote: »
    I think it's one of the most enjoyable part of the game; You get to try unusal comp and character you would never use otherwise. Sure, now that CLS infest 4 or 5 nodes, it's a bit more bland than before but still.

Obviously, if you cheese through it with Resistance it will seems boring. I just preload the Resistance team in the first node in case of a very though Node 12, but otherwise I try to go wild and fight with sub-optimal or the less used characters of my roster for fun. It's pretty nice.

+1
  • Options
    GW has become funnier with zfinn and company. I use them from node 4 (I load 3 other squads before) until they die (often I finish gw with them) alternating r2 and bb8 to rey and the pilot expecially in the final nodes. I enjoy gw evert day, smashing cls leader's squads every time, :)
  • Options
    Nedus wrote: »
    GW has become funnier with zfinn and company. I use them from node 4 (I load 3 other squads before) until they die (often I finish gw with them) alternating r2 and bb8 to rey and the pilot expecially in the final nodes. I enjoy gw evert day, smashing cls leader's squads every time, :)

This^

Resistance has made me enjoy GW again.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    You get to try unusal comp and character you would never use otherwise.

OMG, really.
    GW is divided into 2 parts: nodes 1-10 which are a complete breeze, you can clear them on auto except maybe some setups on node 9; and nodes 11 and, especially, 12 which will screw you, just because a perfect arena team from your opponet can eradicate inferior teams without any losses altogether. You can't wear them out, just restart again and again to find a good rng chain of attacks.
    Or you can get a resistance squad and complete without any thought altogether: expose-expose-expose... Where the hell do you see any enjoyment or strategy here?

OK, I can imaging some players with advanced roster, who just can try the last node over and over to check if the new counter team is good. But this has no relation to the game mode. It's just a target practice.
  • Options
    Funny how they fix GW when node 3 was ridiculously hard. But now that gear 12 is in play, they don't fix the issues now happening in the last couple nodes.
  • Options
    The bigger issue is ZHan with CLS lead. If you have them at node 6 9 11 in GW, it can be a bit time consuming even with Resistance.

My biggest complain is R2 is almost required because of his stealth mechanics which is totally necessary for Resistance against CLS lead. Even GK Zarris team rely on R2. (I have R2, but I can understand it can be frustrating).
  • Options
    Galactic bore. Nice one
  • Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    The bigger issue is ZHan with CLS lead. If you have them at node 6 9 11 in GW, it can be a bit time consuming even with Resistance.

My biggest complain is R2 is almost required because of his stealth mechanics which is totally necessary for Resistance against CLS lead. Even GK Zarris team rely on R2. (I have R2, but I can understand it can be frustrating).

I do the whole GW with Empire. I start with Veers + troopers, switch to a Thrawn lead at node 6, remove Veers and put Tarkin at node 9 and that's it.
    GW is a marker for me. Some months ago, I had to finish GW with 3-5 teams. Now, I make the hard nodes with one team, meaning that this team is arena viable.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Svyatosha wrote: »
    You get to try unusal comp and character you would never use otherwise.

OMG, really.
    GW is divided into 2 parts: nodes 1-10 which are a complete breeze, you can clear them on auto except maybe some setups on node 9; and nodes 11 and, especially, 12 which will ****, just because a perfect arena team from your opponet can eradicate inferior teams without any losses altogether. You can't wear them out, just restart again and again to find a good rng chain of attacks.
    Or you can get a resistance squad and complete without any thought altogether: expose-expose-expose... Where the hell do you see any enjoyment or strategy here?

OK, I can imaging some players with advanced roster, who just can try the last node over and over to check if the new counter team is good. But this has no relation to the game mode. It's just a target practice.

yes, really ;)
    I do exactly the same as @Durango, pre-load TM on my resistance team in node 1 and use other teams to play the majority of the nodes, generally characters i'm in the process of gearing and old arena teams. I don't retreat alot, probably around 3/4 times each GW because i don't like losing toons.
    There's more variety than in arena, not stuck "having" to use the same team as in raids and just plain more fun than any other mode imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Moved to Feedback/Galactic War.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »

Met this guy today on my node 12 (he has an account here so if you read me, congratulations for your team, it's deadly):
    https://swgoh.gg/u/winchester/

And his Han Solo was a challenge... I had to soften his team first removing Kenobi but then I got caught in a stormtrooper Han trap as he taunted immediately, giving TM to CLS, Raid Han and R2. I had to sacrifice a lower team so ST Han could waste his taunt. Only then I got good rng and raid decided to leave Poe alone and it was game over. The Resistance exposition train was leaving the station. That was a challenge and a reminder Resistance can be resisted.

Next time I'll try to end node 11 with a triple exposition so I start node 12 with 100% TM.
  • Options

+1
  • Options

+1

Everything else is pretty much a Sim fest.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

this. i really enjoy it, always have (even when i wasn't beating it)
  • Options
    I LOVE Galactic War. What we need is either more nodes (6-12 more) or the ability to do all 12 simultaneously as long as you finish them.