Mods: Small suggestion to make mod farming better

yossgold
63 posts Member
edited October 2017
The main issue with farming mods is the randomness of it. I used to spend cantina energy only on mods. Did it for a few months and it’s the only thing in the game that still frustrates me and I haven’t managed to get used to. In fact every time I go back to mod farming I quit a few days in because it’s just not worth the energy spent.

I can get passed the drop rate and the rolls (or lack thereof) on the better stats, I understand that making great mods hard to get is what makes having great mods count because if everyone had great mods they would just be mods and wouldn’t serve their purpose as “tie breakers” meant to prevent everyone from just using the same overpowered toons and mirror matching and to some extent, it does that. It at least provides more options and I do like he mods system.

I do feel however that we could be given the opportunity to at least focus on a specific mod and the way to achieve that would be to add a “hard nodes” layer to the mods battles holotable (remember that? yup, it’s still there, gathering dust in our cantina). If we had a hard nodes tier, which guarantees 3-5 dot mods (so that there is still an element of randomness that sets players apart) but you know you’re getting a specific mod type and shape you could at least focus your energy on something you need. The drop rate could still be meh, speed and offense rolls could still be few and far between, I’m not saying give us all the best mods all the time, just take out the randomness of mods challenges. We now have tons of toons, more and more of them are needed (and tbh, even if they’re not needed, wouldn’t you like us to experiment with more than just the meta toons? I for one, enjoy “discovering” hidden gems and theorycrafting and it’s not an easy task to do without proper mod kits) and we have no tool for easily shifting mods between toons. Part of what still keeps me going for so long playing this game is my little experiments with comps using older toons and seeing how far I can push them, it’s not all about rewards, raids and collecting toons for me because if it were I wouldn’t be closing in on 2 years of playing.

I personally believe that adding the hard nodes layer to the mods battles would be way easier to provide than a mod shifting tool so maybe that would be he best place to start. The game has expanded, you need to expand its moving pieces with it. Good mods should no longer be such a rarity.

Replies

• Options
    Vicarious wrote: »
    Would be very helpful.

I don’t know the solution but it’s a huge problem not being able to acquire new mods. Especially a problem since basically every char is needed to be max and modded for Territory Battles and GP.

I hadn't thought about the way the TB would tax the mod system even more. That's a fantastic point.

I've burned so much energy trying to get a potency +speed arrow... it's a great resource sink for the Devs to leave in the game (for them, not us). Sucks being forced to abandon advancing characters just to get another mod I already have 70 of. For the love of god, if I get another circle mod... I might do something drastic. Like, curse or slam a door somewhat hard.

I finally gave up and decided I'd rather just pay to move my mods around constantly. It's frustrating, especially with the clumsy system we have to manage mods, but I like farming characters. I'd be exceedingly happy if they added a "hard mode" to all the mod battles. Now that OP suggested it, it just seems silly they don't have them.