For all those Darkside lovers! IT IS POSSIBLE! (Pics inside)

This will be a long post about this game. If you want to read the TL;DR just skip to the bottom

[The Story So Far]
I love the darkside, specifically the Sith. I first unlocked Nihilus at level 35 from his marquee event at 3* (I solo'd the entire event with him and it made me fall in love with him). I don't spend a ton of money on this game, I would be smaller than a dolphin, but I have spent on a few crystal boosters here and there. My shard is December 2016 for reference of difficulty.

I have always stuck to my Nihilus lead team, through every meta change and have always held top 50 at least. I used to run dooku/vader/maul, then dooku/palpatine/sith trooper then savage/sith assassin/sith trooper. Through it all I have held top 50 against those players who have definitely spent a lot more than I have.

But i wanted more. Top 20 was in my sights but I couldn't beat the sea of Wiggs/Chaze/R2. Burning was destroying my team. Wiggs was too powerful and savage couldn't cleanse fast enough. I had to switch it up. So i started running a new squad, one that I named (patent pending) "The Wall". Nihilus lead, Sass, Sith Trooper, and Chaze (I got full pulls of sith trooper and baze from the only chromium i ever bought lol). This squad allowed me to cleanse the burning, or put tenacity up first instead. And baze allowed me to wipe the stealth that R2 would put up, allowing me to kill wedge right away. My goals were achieved and top 20 every day was upon me.

But I wanted more. Top 10 is where the big boys hang out. "Welcome to the big leagues" i told myself. They don't really shift around a lot, just doing the battles it takes to get first for Payout and thats it. But I had to figure out how to beat the new wave of teams....CLS, raid han, GK/Zarris, and even faster R2's. "The Wall" (Patent pending) was not cutting it. I lost so many times in a row that I almost gave up. "Maybe the Rebels are just better" i told myself. But there was one gleaming hope. The Thrawn event was starting in 2 days, and I just finished 7* my phoenix team. So I put everything I had into the Thrawn event and got him at 7*! But now I had to gear him, you can't use anyone under g10 in arena right?? I got him to g9 and level 80 but i was out of credits from leveling up my phoenix team to 85 the day earlier and I was 100 carbantis short of g10! "I have nothing left to lose" i said to myself and I clicked on arena

[The Climb]
I was sitting at 21 with 2 hours till payout. Not bad, just one win and I get top 20. That's all I have ever been able to do, and that's ok. 200 crystals is still awesome. I remove Baze from the squad, and sub in Thrawn at 7* level 80 and gear level 9 with 222 speed. Nothing to write home about. The first squad is easy: Wiggs, Chaze, R2. I now sit in 16th place. This is usually where the road ends, I just can't beat the top end teams.
Next was a scary Zaul team for 11th. Here is the squad:
ULZaA6b.jpg
What was a very tough team before, became very simple. I fractured his Nihilus and I coasted to victory with 5 standing. 11th place was mine! Time to kick it up a notch and play with the WHALES!
Next was a team I had never beaten before in 20+ tries! For 7th. Here is the squad:
Otxrojp.jpg
A 268 zzR2D2, 258 zCLS, zBarris, zNihilus with GK lead. I fractured his CLS and wittled down his Nihilus. Because of Sass, I beat him to Annihilate and killed his Nihilus. Sass finished off CLS and it was over! With 5 still standing! 7th place was mine! I was over the moon excited. BUT I WANTED MORE!
Next was another team I had never beaten. This time for 3rd. Here is the squad:
1LS2M3N.jpg
Basically an all G12 Threxus team, zzR2D2, zNihilus, Thrawn, GK. This was an amazing battle, I fractured his Nihilus and killed Rex as fast as I could. I won the Annihilate race again and killed Nihilus. Thrawn fell to Sass and it was over! I had taken 3rd for the first time! I was shaking like a dog in the cold and I HAD to try and take first for my payout for the first time!
Last was the all gold team. The battle for first. This team is a monster and I went in with ZERO hope. Here is the squad:
2G1Ipyc.jpg
zBarris lead, zATF with ALL G12 PIECES ADDED, zzR2D2, and Gold Chaze. What was an expected blowout, ended up being a magnificent symphony of thrawn and Sass speeding up my Nihilus. I annihilated 3 toons: zATF first to get the damage out, R2D2 second to stop the stuns, and Chirrut third cause I hate him. WIth 1 minute remaining I still had a zBarris and baze to go. But with the Nihilus lead, I wasn't worried cause I can't crit! I crushed zBarris with Sass and finished off a fractured baze to win. I HAD TAKEN FIRST PLACE FOR PAYOUT! IT WAS OVER!
AsOT9jW.png
wXIiGiF.png
My team has ZERO Zetas. Sith Assassin is my fastest toon at 242. I don't even have the speed mod challenge unlocked yet. No CLS. No GK. No zBarris. No R2D2. My Thrawn was Level 80 and gear 9 lol. GEAR 9 in first place!!!!
It IS possible to get first without using the meta teams. I have actually gotten first for the last 3 days in a row now! I still dodge CLS lead teams, I still hate zHan, and sometimes I have to buy a 50 crystal refresh, but IT IS POSSIBLE!
Thanks to anyone who has actually read this far. I have been grinding to get first for 8 months. I made a lot of mistakes when I first started, but it has been worth it. What a ride, what a feeling, and I look forward to more 500 crystal inbox messages!
My SWGOH account for those interested: https://swgoh.gg/u/wearesyke/

[TL;DR]
Over the past 8 months I have been using my Nihilus lead team to fight the meta. The day after I unlocked Thrawn at 7* i managed to beat several teams I have never beaten before to take 1st place for payout for the first time in my career on this game. My team has ZERO Zetas. Sith Assassin is my fastest toon at 242. I don't even have the speed mod challenge unlocked yet. No CLS. No GK. No zBarris. No R2D2. It IS possible to get first without using the meta teams, it just takes a bit more time and a lot more patience!

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Options
    You do realize that the screenshots are kinda translucent so you can still make out all the names in the background like Kage****a, and so on?
  • Wearesyke
    218 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i checked on my computer and my phone and neither are translucent. I don't know why that is? I coloured them out pretty well from what I can see. I'm sorry if it didn't work
  • Options
    At any rate, good job and congratulations!
  • Options
    Awesome story! :)

And very, very good job.
    That is some achievement.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! So proud of my sith hybrid team!
  • Options
    Congrats, @Wearesyke, thanks for sharing. :)
  • Karfax
    286 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Gratz on the win! With all that cleansing, mother talzin says "hi"
    *** So be it... Jedi ***
  • Options
    Nihilus lead vs rex lead = win
    Nihilus lead vs zBarris =win
  • Options
    Nice job and cool to see the excitement.

Just in preparation, I'd start planning next arena moves assuming at some point that CLS leads will be 70-80%+of what you see and you won't be able to avoid them. His teams in particular are what ramp up the difficulty for maintaining a DS team in arena.
  • Options
    Great post, great achievement, and it gives me hope that one day I'll be able to get higher in arena.
  • Options
    I was excited you were so excited OP
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    Congrats. Interesting team composition.
  • Options
    @Wearesyke great story! Very exciting to see it's possible. I'm hoping you and the forum can help me as well, since I'm in a similar place as you were before you had Thrawn. Before CLS took over my shard, I ran DN, Sassy, SiT, Dooku, Rex to much success. I usually held top 50. Rex's tenacity up was essential to keep SiT alive and hitting back. As long as he hit back and gained health each time, he was virtually indestructible.

Well, CLS changed all that. He can ignore taunt under call to action, and can basically one shot Rex, Dooku, or Sassy. He hits so stinking hard!

My question: is there a hybrid team like yours that can help me gain back my ground in arena rank? I think DN lead, with Sassy and SiT are essential, but I'm willing to switch up the other two slots. Here is my roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/jobiwankenobi/collection/

What do you think? I'm a long ways from Chaze, and no Thrawn in sight as well.
  • Options
    @Jobi_Wan_Ken0bi you have gk at G8!? Dude you gotta get him to g11 lol. This is the team I would try with your people.
    Nihilus lead, Sass, sith trooper, gk, Dooku/palpatine. I've found that double tanks works well against CLS and gk would give you a cleanse or retribution as well. I would love to try that team but I am in a horrible guild that only does heroic pit and NAAT lol
  • Options
    Nice job dude. It's always nice to see a non CLS+rebels or GK+Barriss+rebels team at the top. Personally, I use droids and get top 20 everyday on an older shard.
  • Options
    3 cheers for dark side!
  • Options
    Other than the all g12 team, your whole journey looks like my daily struggles in PVP. Instead of a top 20 journey, that's the top 500 in mine. Is there really such little disparity between 500 and 1?
    Congrats bytheway
  • Options
    December 2016 shard here. So not a super old shard by any means
  • Options
    Maybe DN (L) Dookuu, SA, ST and then OB or savage till your Gk is a little more geared
  • Options
    Doesn't looks like you've faced any team of current meta-ones. Like CLS-R2-RaidHan-GK-Thrawn.
    Also i don't really understand why do you call your team Dark-one if there is chirrut there.
    Another question is about why do you actually need chirrut there? His heal provides no effect (only balancing hP does). And if balancing HP is necessary, you could pick barris don't you? And still it's not dark team.
  • Options
    @No3nvy it's 4 DS characters out of 5, so 80% dark side.
    Do or do not...
  • Options
    congrats.
    now let me be that annoying person...
    - Chirrut isnt DS. (also, he's horrible in this composition, he give basically nothing)
    - lof of DS teams can get to #1. the problem is defense, your team are nowhere close to meta teams. you'll be dropped very fast, very easily, and be targeted often.
    - the teams you've been faced aren't really meta, and the fact you are in a relatively new shard doesn't add to it.
    now let me be that annoying, yet somehow useful person :
    - chirrut should be swapped asap. if you want a cleanser, you can use Savage (Zeta is great on him, aswell. not crucial if under DN). thrawn can dispel all debuffs from him + ally. SA can dispel himself. add to this Savage who dispel from himself outside of turn, and also can dispel others at the end of his turn, and you have no need in a cleanser. if you wanna stick with LS cleanse, Rex would be better, GK will be much better.
    - Savage over Chirrut, take 2 : SA can hit through protection, savage finish with overpower. this is how you kill crazy offensive zHan in 2 turns. very useful vs foresight aswell, since overpower cant be prevented.
    - Palpatine is great. can be swapped over chirrut aswell. simple tactic - stun if need. if not, shock-shock-refresh. if your SithTrooper can defend him, and you do turn order good, he can do shock, gain tm from thrawn, shock again, and in the next turn, use "let the hate flow", gain 100% TM, offense to all, shock again. you are very early in the game can get to a point where you are very strong, and your enemies are hurt. this isn't anywhere effective vs the meta teams of GK and r2, but this is surely better than chirrut.
    now let me be really useful person:
    if you want #1 daily, surrender to the meta.
  • Options
    Chirrut is mainly to cleanse burning from r2. The health equalization is awesome as well though. And he does some crazy damage on his special. Barrie hits like a wet noodle and I wouldn't benefit from her unique with a Nihilus lead anyways
  • Options
    Keep it up shardy ;)
  • Options
    Wearesyke wrote: »
    Chirrut is mainly to cleanse burning from r2. The health equalization is awesome as well though. And he does some crazy damage on his special. Barrie hits like a wet noodle and I wouldn't benefit from her unique with a Nihilus lead anyways

well, as said, savage will be better in there. due to SA+Savage Combo of removing high-offense attackers swift, and due to Savage Unique ability. also, Rex and GK, as also stated, would be much better if you can't go only DS. chirrut isn't acceptable and should be removed from the team, either way. :)
  • Options
    This has me thinking. My shard is older than yours and it's hard/impossible to avoid CLS teams, and since I missed unlocking him I'm getting left behind.

I've got DN at G12, unique zeta'd, 7 stars and he's one of my favorite toons so I'd like to keep using him. I also have GAT at Gear 11, 7 stars, no Zetas and he's my highest priority to get to Gear 12- not just because he rocks but because I'm doing very well in fleet arena due to Chimaera.

Problem is I don't have Krennic, Shore or Deathtrooper starred or geared. My Sith Assassin is gear 11 but only 4 stars, my Palpatine is Gear 11 and lacks survivability. My TFP is weak. My GK is only gear 10, 5 stars.

My zMaul lead is winning fewer and fewer battles. I invested in a group of toons that don't synergize well- zKylo, DN, B2, GAT, zMaul, EP. I'm trying to figure out if I should go the DN lead route or Empire (probably GAT) lead route.

Any ideas? I'm F2P so I can focus on basically one toon at a time.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    @Wearesyke Thanks for weighing in! I just unlocked GK, and he is my #1 gear focus right now. Soooo many carbs, even to get him to G9.

• Options
    @Kevern_Zaksor How leveled are your Rex and R2? You could go Rex (L), R2, DN, Zylo, Thrawn. Rex and GK teams are the only ones hanging in there against CLS in my shard.
  • Options
    I'm in the same shard and climbing with Thrawn is super fun - puts an end to the Chaze infestation, though I'm running in the 50-100 range. Problem with Thrawn (and maybe posting about it) is that the AI cannot run his defense.

Taken 2 minutes ago:

FfWqonU.png

Still awesome, congrats OP!
  • Options
    @Jobi_Wan_Ken0bi that's a really good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that, thanks!

My rex and R2 are 7 stars but only gear 8-9. It shouldn't be too hard to improve them though, right after I get Thrawn to g12
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu