Armor and resistance in question

From my understanding, the generally accepted function of armor and resistance is that it's rating is the direct and obvious amount of protection it gives. I.e. An armor rating of 100 protects your character from 100 points of physical damage in a given attack. Attack does 1000 physical Dmg, you have 100 armor, you take 900 dmg.

Makes sence as I've played a lot of games like this in the past. Also makes armor useless when the average max char has around 100 armor, but all chars at equal level are doing anywhere from 1000 to 4000 Dmg.

I'm becoming suspicious that this is not true, however.

Here is my case.

This is my Sav and Fives at there current lvl, rank, and gear.
Sav: HP 17,432 AR 157
Fives: HP 15,997 AR 265
As you can see, Sav has 1435 more HP. Fives has 108 more AR.

With the excepted function of AR and an average Dmg output of, let's say 2000, Fives' AR advantage would be negligible and Sav's HP would give him a slight advantage. Maybe noticeable or maybe not.

Instead, I've repeatedly observed Sav getting torn up fairly quickly when focused on (comparatively speaking), even with his defense boost when he gets hit, where as Fives just shrugs it off. I've been playing both together for a long time now. Any super tough battle always comes down to Fives and Sid or Fives and Sav with Fives last man standing. Every time.

Any thoughts or ideas? Any folk observed the same or something different?