Generosity Analysis

Qeltar
4326 posts Member
So there have been lots of discussions of late about EA's generosity or lack thereof. With the help of the community I decided to compile a list of game functions, changes and also missing features, and rate them based on how generous or stingy they are. Every item was given a rating from -10 (very ungenerous) to +10 (very generous). I then assigned each a weighting based on how important they were, from 1 to 10. The weighted score for a change is simply the product of the rating and weight.
Disclaimer: Yes, this is all my personal opinion. Yes, you disagree with my scores and weighting. Yes, I'm sure lots of stuff is missing. :)
Here's a list of all the items sorted from worst to best weighted score:
Item                                                  Rating  Weight    Weighted
Replacement of key card events                         -10        9        -90
Expensive and exponentially-increasing energy costs     -9        9        -81
Changes to daily crystal subscriptions                  -9        6        -54
Change of GW to use crystals                            -8        5        -40
Changes to 2X and 3X bonus for credit packs             -7        5        -35
Shard shop                                              -6        5        -30
Rate of introduction of new characters to shipments     -5        6        -30
General frequency of bonus events or giveaways          -5        5        -25
Lack of loyalty program                                 -6        4        -24
No gifts for server issues or bugs in general           -4        5        -20
Nerf to Barriss                                         -6        3        -18
Inability to sell or exchange unwanted items            -4        4        -16
Master/padawan pack                                     -3        4        -12
Year end pack                                           -5        2        -10
TFA pack                                                -3        3        -9
Jedi pack                                               -2        2        -4
Heroine pack                                            1        3        3
Character shards in shipments                           2        3        6
Barriss compensation                                    7        1        7
Free bronzium cards                                     4        2        8
Compensation for early Cantina issue                    8        1        8
Lunar new year red cards                                8        1        8
Droid pack                                              4        3        12
Free Rey shards                                         7        2        14
Addition of Cantina battle daily                        7        2        14
Free TFA character                                      8        2        16
Increase in challenge rewards for credits and droids    6        3        18
Buff to Sidious                                         4        5        20
Yoda event and rewards                                  4        5        20
Starter chars                                           5        4        20
Dark side pack                                          7        3        21
Free iOS/Android bundle                                 9        3        27
Login rewards - February                                9        3        27
Sim ticket quantity                                     7        4        28
Login rewards - January                                 9        4        36
Daily rewards (and ease thereof)                        8        5        40
Adding purple gear items to challenge rewards           8        5        40
F2P crystal rewards                                     6        7        42
Login rewards - December                                9        5        45
Free daily energy                                       9        6        54
Additional farmable nodes with level cap                8        7        56
Making QGJ farmable                                     9        7        63
Farmability of TFA characters                          10        7        70
General availability of F2P characters                  8        9        72

Weighted sum of all negative items: -498
Weighted sum of all positive items: +795

My overall assessment: Lots of room for improvement, but not nearly as bad as many claim.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Azrex_Dren
    55 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    replacing key card events is a negative in which world?
  • Options
    Azrex_Dren wrote: »

What world are you in? The replacement is worst than the original.
  • Options
    i felt like the key card stuff was a soft test for the current events because their value was actually negative. rewards not worth the energy, frankly even the time to jump through the poor UX of grabbing a key at one table just to say you tapped that today and use it at the other one...
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Reasonable scoring, though I'll question the weight you gave to the key card events. They're really not all that important, are they? Well I guess they could be important if they were at all worth doing in the first place.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    Neat chart, but good thing you put the disclaimer in there. Nothing can really be quantified or determined from that chart other than your personal opinion on things.
  • Options

The world most of us live in, judging by the reaction of most guys who posted about it in the forum. You're the alien :tongue:!
  • Options
    Excuse me, but how to get free Rey shards?
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    fberbert wrote: »
    Excuse me, but how to get free Rey shards?

They gave us 10 for free in Christmas
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Your analysis depends strongly on how much you spend in this Game. I am not sure, if whales would Come to the Same result as you ...

So yes, lots of room for improvement
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    MTPrezzy wrote: »
    Neat chart, but good thing you put the disclaimer in there. Nothing can really be quantified or determined from that chart other than your personal opinion on things.
    Right, that's why it is there. The point was more to figure out for myself it is was really true that CG is always ungenerous or "money grabbing". And what I found is that they have done quite a bit of that, but have been pretty generous in a lot of ways too.
    My assessment is based on a range of typical players from F2P to moderate spenders. I can't wrap my head around people who spend $3,000 in a month on a mobile game, so I have little perspective to assess things from their point of view, though the negative marks for things like the shard shop or lack of a loyalty program do have them in mind.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    i felt like the key card stuff was a soft test for the current events because their value was actually negative. rewards not worth the energy, frankly even the time to jump through the poor UX of grabbing a key at one table just to say you tapped that today and use it at the other one...

So you think 24 energy for 8k credits are better than 50 energy for 110k credits? Nice.
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    Options
    Nice compilation!

Some of the generous items also need to be taken in context. Daily energy and rewards can be both generous and improve profitability, by encouraging more time in the game. Many parts of the game are on timers. Free bronziums get people habituated to "buying" cards. Addition of certain characters could be seen as improving generally playability and game balance.

So yes, generous -and- profitable. Win, win! :smiley:
  • Options
    Agree on a lot a things, but to be honest I'm not sure the exponentially increasing costs of refills is s bad thing. If it wasn't there, the Whales would have an even bigger advantage than they do now, because to them 20 refills a day would be "cheap". Now there's at least a reason to not go to far in refills if you're not a billionaire.
  • Options

Yes, it was a test for the current system, which is awful. The rewards were dropped by about 70% for the same amount of energy.

For instance, the profit mining before you could use 50 energy and you got 110k credits, for a 2.2:1 credit:energy ratio. Now, for 24 energy you get 8.4k credits, for a .35:1 credit to energy ratio. Even if you get the max (which happens pretty rarely) you still only have a 1.05:1 ratio, which is more than a 50% reduction is reward.

AS for training droids, I only did the keycard battle once, and decided that was also not even kind of worth the energy requirement, and the reward for that was reduced as well, making it even more useless. Though, admittedly, if I happen to have 90+ energy at 2200, I often run the droids a few times because to me that's better than letting the energy go to waste while I sleep.