I love this game...and it's sadly getting harder for me (F2P) to play...

I choose to play F2P. I play the game to grind. It's affordable, and it's fun and very rewarding to play that way, as long as I feel that grinding is actually a viable way to compete in this game if I make smart choices.

It's tough to feel that way recently. And it makes me sad because I really enjoy playing. The large amount of content that has been added within a short period of time has me feeling buried with no way to grind to anywhere close to the top. Within the last few months alone, Gear 12 was introduced. Also, rather than simply being reworked, Phoenix, Rogue 1, First Order, Ewoks, and Nightsisters squads became the price of admission into various game modes and legendary character unlocks.

A F2P player that places 1st/2nd in arena most days shouldn't feel like it's impossible to compete.

I'm afraid that this post will be stashed in a mega-thread with no hope of seeing daylight. Which is apropos since that's kind of how I'm feeling right now as a F2P player buried under new content.

I know you guys are dedicated to making the game a success. Hopefully you can make some adjustments so you don't lose some fans of this great game.

Replies

• Options
    This probably comes off as more negative than I intend it. Love the game. Just feeling bummed!
  • Options
    If you're finishing 1st or 2nd often, why are you saying it's impossible to compete? I don't get it...
  • Options
    Teague wrote: »
    If you're finishing 1st or 2nd often, why are you saying it's impossible to compete? I don't get it...

True I'm F2p and I rank 70-45 above 50 when I do all 5 Cls trawn at 7 r2 double zeta baze 7 even able to get cassia u wing everything's coming up milhouse would love to be where your at .
  • Options
    Don't get bummed out about the the, it's a game intended for fun or as a pass-time activity. Sure we'd all love to be at the top but speaking as a F2P myself, you just have to find what you enjoy doing and stick at it. Recently I felt bummed about my arena team too, but then I found enjoyment in farming ahead of time for the events instead.

I'm sure you'll find enjoyment in the game again soon, but just know that if your competing at the top of your arena then your doing hella good for a F2P. Keep it up :)
  • Options
    F2P here as well. Havent spent a dime and dont plan on it anytime soon because Im cheap, but this is by far the best mobile game I have ever seen. Soooooo much content should not be looked at as a bad thing. I probably spend an hour a day on this game and its all free.

Every shard, gear, level up feels rewarding and earned. I still get excited every time I finish my Galactic War. Sure I could fast forward and get farther quicker if I shell out some cash, but I love the game as is.

There was another post I saw with a guy crying about everything he wanted changed. He kept saying: more sim cards, speed this up, skip this, skip that.I just read it the whole time thinking: "Bro, do you even want to play the game or do you want to fast forward to level 85 and all characters gifted to you?"

Keep up the good work devs. Hands down one of the best games ever!
  • Options
    I would only add that the reason why this game is fun is the progression you make/feel when unlocking/playing characters and the ability to play the content. I would agree that the pace of the additional content and characters has a feeling like you are not making any progression, which is daunting to any player. Add to that going 0-whatever in zeta farming and 1.5m in the credit heist and the mountain may seem like its too high to climb, which in turn can make players feel bummed out.

I would hope the developers have thought about the adverse affects of introducing too many new characters and additional farming content too fast without at least raising the minimums.
  • Options
    By "compete" I mean I feel significantly outpaced by the game even making decent choices with solid daily crystals.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved as more personal of nature post, but great work to be top of arena as ftp!
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    And I don't think the pace of the game will slow anytime soon given the new movie coming out.
  • Options
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    Moved as more personal of nature post, but great work to be top of arena as ftp!

Do Devs read off topic posts? Kudos to them for their hard work .... hoping to inform their decisions moving forward....
  • Options
    By "compete" I mean I feel significantly outpaced by the game even making decent choices with solid daily crystals.

You simply cant get all and everthing all at once..

Im ftp apart from chrom packs when i first started playing (jan 16) i have a 7* all legendary toons except bb8 and thrawn ship and the biggest one.. CLS.. when i didnt get him (was just old ben short at 6*) i came sooo close to quitting but i still dont have cls yet im top 3 arena every day..

You dont NEED it as it comes out.. if you want it grind for it and get it next time.. but dont give up if u cant first time

• Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    We see all things in the force....

Except jarjar... :x
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    We see all things in the force....

Except jarjar... :x

No one sees jar jar. Don't feel bad.
  • Options

The point mad_gnatter is making is he is stretched thin with all the special events releases in the last 2 months. As a non-spender, to compete at the top level you are always playing catch-up with your squad arena and fleet arena. Crystals are needed to buy G11 pieces to uplift to G12 squads so he can continue to compete, and earn those crystal rewards.

These new events need a minimum unique squad to enable participation. As a non-spenders, it means he has to decide to divert resources away from arena and fleet teams just to participate in these events.
    The crystal rewards for 1st/2nd place isn't enough to do both (within the time period of these events).

So its a choice, either work on these Phoenix, Rogue 1, First Order, Ewoks, and Nightsisters squads to participate in legendary events and unlock additional rewards/resources, or continue focusing on arena game mode, or choose to do both and hope for success in both.

The opportunity costs are:
    Legendary events to unlock BB8, and Thrawn - both are very good toons.
    Marquee events to get drops of Wicket and Talzin. Needed for zeta rewards in the future.
    Flash events to receive good gear drops for difficult salvage pieces.

So, this is a similar scenario faced by all competitive non-spenders - including myself.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    You have to pick what you care about and focus on that. Otherwise hoard resources for the next thing you care about. It's easy to look at everything going on and get overwhelmed, but comparing yourself to the whales will always be a losing proposition.
  • Options
    This is a resource management game as much as it is a strategy game. Only the krakenest of whales can swing every event, marque & legendary that drops 1st round.

Set short and long term goals, and your priorities. When Devs release info about a new event/toon; reevaluate and go from there. You'll likely miss out on a few events and/or 7* toons, this is expected.
  • Options
    Saraleb wrote: »
    You simply cant get all and everthing all at once.

Oh, but you can as a non spender.
  • Options
    Gavstar wrote: »

The point mad_gnatter is making is he is stretched thin with all the special events releases in the last 2 months. As a non-spender, to compete at the top level you are always playing catch-up with your squad arena and fleet arena. Crystals are needed to buy G11 pieces to uplift to G12 squads so he can continue to compete, and earn those crystal rewards.

These new events need a minimum unique squad to enable participation. As a non-spenders, it means he has to decide to divert resources away from arena and fleet teams just to participate in these events.
    The crystal rewards for 1st/2nd place isn't enough to do both (within the time period of these events).

So its a choice, either work on these Phoenix, Rogue 1, First Order, Ewoks, and Nightsisters squads to participate in legendary events and unlock additional rewards/resources, or continue focusing on arena game mode, or choose to do both and hope for success in both.

The opportunity costs are:
    Legendary events to unlock BB8, and Thrawn - both are very good toons.
    Marquee events to get drops of Wicket and Talzin. Needed for zeta rewards in the future.
    Flash events to receive good gear drops for difficult salvage pieces.

So, this is a similar scenario faced by all competitive non-spenders - including myself.

Don't get burnt out there is another option afforded to u: spend some money. If u want to stay competitive in anything it is either sweat equity in these case time in the game or money buy some stuff it your choice red or blue pill.
  • Options
    Don't get burnt out there is another option afforded to u: spend some money. If u want to stay competitive in anything it is either sweat equity in these case time in the game or money buy some stuff it your choice red or blue pill.

Thanks for the advice.

At first I was being just cheap.
    Then, as I grew, not spending became a sufferable challenge. I'm suffering through this stretch, so is everyone actually. It's all good status quo intact.
  • Options
    If u enjoy something it not being cheap at one point all video games u had to to play I.e arcade home games it all entertainment
  • Options
    No disrespect to anyone.... but i get the feeling that everyone saying that the problem is just my attitude or my perspective, don't play the game competitively.

My attitude hasn't changed in the last two months....the game has changed. I still love the game and love playing it how i play it...im saying that it's getting nearly impossible.

I think other competitive f2p players would agree but can't speak for them.

Advice to simply not be a competitive f2p player, although well intentioned, isn't really useful to me.
  • Options
    Not telling u not to be competitive ftp just saying why whine about it when u know in all your competitive ftp ness that it is impossible tap the screen on a phone or clicking a mouse on the computer. I gave u the only useful advice other than quit playing is to buy or quit whining about playing
  • Options
    Not telling u not to be competitive ftp just saying why whine about it when u know in all your competitive ftp ness that it is impossible tap the screen on a phone or clicking a mouse on the computer. I gave u the only useful advice other than quit playing is to buy or quit whining about playing

I think the other option is to talk to the devs. that's what I'm trying to do...not whine. I'm offering a perspective to improve the game for people like me.

Please don't make this toxic.
  • Options
    Not making it toxic u posted something I commented on it I'm surprised I continued to even comment back. U can ask the dev to make the game better for u as from there perspective u are not a player that contributes to their earnings since u are competitive ftp. As far as not making this toxic just ignore me since I don't contribute anything to your existence just as the dev should ignore u since u don't contribute to them making a living in all of your competitive ftp glory. I get u were venting but I get tried of people proudly proclaiming I'm ftp and cater to how I play the game cause reasons. No devs listen to those whales first and if u have time or the want then the ftp disinfranchized. If u are wondering I'm ftp I just don't whine about it. By the way congrats on being number 1 as a ftp in your arena keep up the good work
  • Options
    By the way congrats on being number 1 as a ftp in your arena keep up the good work

Thanks!

Hopefully they take this feedback as a perspective that's representative of a group of people that are necessary to the game.

The idea being that the game is made better for everyone. Not just you and me.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I choose to play F2P. I play the game to grind. It's affordable, and it's fun and very rewarding to play that way, as long as I feel that grinding is actually a viable way to compete in this game if I make smart choices.

It's tough to feel that way recently. And it makes me sad because I really enjoy playing. The large amount of content that has been added within a short period of time has me feeling buried with no way to grind to anywhere close to the top. Within the last few months alone, Gear 12 was introduced. Also, rather than simply being reworked, Phoenix, Rogue 1, First Order, Ewoks, and Nightsisters squads became the price of admission into various game modes and legendary character unlocks.

A F2P player that places 1st/2nd in arena most days shouldn't feel like it's impossible to compete.

I'm afraid that this post will be stashed in a mega-thread with no hope of seeing daylight. Which is apropos since that's kind of how I'm feeling right now as a F2P player buried under new content.

I know you guys are dedicated to making the game a success. Hopefully you can make some adjustments so you don't lose some fans of this great game.

I get what you are saying, but boasting that you come 1st or 2nd in arena each day, as a f2p player, to me, states you are on a relatively new shard.

I started playing upon launch. I buy the rare pack (like 2 a year) and maybe a few crystals on the odd occasion, but I am f2p for 97% of my experience on SWGOH.

I too am experiencing difficulty in arena - particularly after the release of G12. When the game launched I was pacing an arena rank of about 50-100.

I recently couldn't hold a rank below 200, until I acquired CLS. He with Wiggs and Chaze have helped me regain some ground in arena, now hovering between 125-170.

However the lower end of that spectrum is tapering. It is a real struggle to pace below 150. I am surrounded in arena by teams upon teams of G12 p2p players.

Luckily I have farmed almost everyone out of the arena store. I saw this happening so wanted to get everything I could before not being able to anymore. I am farming my last toon out of the arena store - Ugnaught.

Then I won't care so much if arena rank slips away. Any currency for the arena store I do get in the future will be used to purchase credits.

I just hope a new cool toon doesn't make its was into the arena store - because I likely wont be able to get them for a very long time.
  • Options
    Not boasting, just figured that my crystal income was relevant to the discussion.

I've been playing for a while. My galactic power is about 1.9M.

https://swgoh.gg/u/gnat52577/collection/