Character Rework: Mace Windu

Poor, poor Mace. Several updates have passed since he's gotten any polish, and oh boy, does it show. His kit was never phenomenal, and with the introduction of Protection and the general power creep, he's no top tier pick. This is especially a shame since many people have invested into him for his status as one of the four Fleet Commanders, and that's a job he performs admirably. So let's give him a once over and let him shine! With each ability suggestion, I'll give a little blurb to explain my thought process behind the proposed change.

Basic: Invincible Assault

I enjoy the theory behind this one, and would like to preserve the duality of it being either high damage or self-sustaining, depending on the situation. In its current form, this is somewhat lacking considering that if a character is below 50% health, it's doubtful they'll survive to their next turn. Therefore, I propose the following to account for the addition of Protection.

Deal physical damage to target enemy. If Mace is above 50% health, this attack deals 50% more damage. If Mace is below 50% health, recover 70% of the damage dealt. If mace is below 50% Protection, he recovers 10% of his maximum Protection.

Special: Smite

Hoo boy, this one is so old that it actually says "positive status effects" instead of "buffs" in the wording. By current game standards, a single target buff dispel with no other effects is woefully underpowered. Based on the name, I imagine this ability should be for crushing a single target. Let's make it feel like Mace is shattering through an enemy's defenses to leave them reeling.

Cooldown: 2. Deal special damage to target enemy and dispel all buffs. Inflict Defense Down, and if any buffs were dispelled, inflict Stagger. Enemies attacked while Staggered by this ability become Dazed.

Leader: Vaapad

I'm under the assumption that this Leader ability was never meant to be top tier, but currently it's sitting near the bottom as far as Leader choices go. As it's not a Zeta, I don't think it should be amazingly strong, but an improvement without too drastic of a change could boost it into being a viable option.

Jedi allies gain 30% offense and 20% critical chance, and gain 5% health, protection, and turn meter whenever they score a critical hit.

Unique: Shatterpoint

This ability has been heavily criticized for its inconsistency, and now it suffers even more heavily for most characters at higher gear levels relying mostly on protection rather than health. A percentage increase in tandem with a chance to inflict Expose on multiple targets would improve consistency, and the addition of the ability to ignore taunts would make Mace into a dangerous threat by allowing him to potentially ignore a tank in favor of finishing a weakened opponent. This is intended to be a Zeta upgrade.

At the start of each of his turns, Mace has a 70% chance to inflict Expose on each enemy. This effect can't be resisted. Mace may ignore taunts to target an enemy that is exposed and has no protection. In addition, Mace gains 25% turn meter whenever he attacks an exposed enemy.

And that wraps it up! With these changes, I think Mace would be a powerful and useful ally on any Jedi team!

Replies

• Options
    I reckon this is a very solid rework idea, good job!
    "You demand a simple answer, refusing to look for it within. That is the essence of your failure." -Valkorion, the Immortal Emperor
  • Options
    With that unique, sounds like Mace would be great for a resistance team. But in seriousness I dig the ideas, maybe increase the heal on the leader and one suggestion I saw for his Unique was the zeta to replace expose with deatmark which I think would help him a lot
  • Kenle_Yopho
    31 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    abadparker wrote: »
    I reckon this is a very solid rework idea, good job!

Thank you, I appreciate the support!
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    With that unique, sounds like Mace would be great for a resistance team. But in seriousness I dig the ideas, maybe increase the heal on the leader and one suggestion I saw for his Unique was the zeta to replace expose with deatmark which I think would help him a lot

The thought crossed my mind as well, I think he'd unintentionally make for a fantastic Resistance member! I actually agree that the healing for my proposed Leader idea is a little low, but I got the impression that some characters are meant to be late game leaders and some early game (think Savage vs Maul) and I wanted to preserve that idea of him not overshadowing other Jedi leads while still being improved. But if I was going to make it a bit better, I might improve my original idea by increasing the health recover to 10% in addition to the 5% Protection. As for the addition of deathmark, I'm a little hesitant to add it because it's so powerful. Right now only Death Trooper can use it, and with the hefty requirement of having another enemy already defeated. If I was going to add that to Mace, I think it would need a similarly high requirement to avoid being broken. Maybe something close to what I had said, but instead, enemies with no protection have a chance to be deathmarked, and then also only if he had already struck them at least twice, maybe even three times, before while they were exposed. That would be in line with the whole dangerous if left alone element of his description, and would certainly add an element of urgency to dealing with him.
  • Options
    I suppose if you wanted to be REALLY lore-centric, make his Vapaad ability do what it does in-universe: channeling the opponents power through Mace and back to the opponent (as he did to sidious in ep3), after all Shatterpoint fits the lore as well.

Vapaad: Jedi allies have +30% offense and all enemies have -30% offense. Zeta upgrade: whenever an enemy takes damage from expose, all active Jedi allies gain 5% offense (stacking) until the end of the encounter.

Your version is good too, of course :)
    "You demand a simple answer, refusing to look for it within. That is the essence of your failure." -Valkorion, the Immortal Emperor