A squad to make the most of 7* Yoda?

jordissim
18 posts Member
edited February 2016
Hi!
A couple of days ago I managed to beat Yoda's Challenge Tier VII, but he has proven a bit of a disappointment to me. Sure, it deserves to be in the top 10 as a stand-alone character, but so far I've come up with no ideas to take full advantage of his (undeniably amazing) skills. I'm currently playing the Arena with the maxed-up Darth Sidious, Count Dooku, First Order TIE Fighter, Princess Leia and Poe Dameron. And no matter what other ensemble I try, it proves weaker.
Anybody has come up with a sound strategy?
Thanks!

Art is perfection. Perfection is e^(iπ)+1=0

Replies

• Options
    On paper, I was thinking:

QGJ (lead), Yoda, GS, Rey, Poe or Daka

You have enough speed and dps to drop their top 1 - 2 hitters and then are protected by Poe and Daka for the return fire. If Yoda or Rey get the assist, they'll get an early foresight up and Daka would get a stun chance

I'm still 5* Yoda, so I haven't put the plan in place just yet, but these are the characters I'm working toward
  • Options
    Maybe switch tie pilot for Yoda? Pilot is getting insta-killed anyway most likely
  • Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Yoda isn't a viable Arena option in the current META. 1) His HP is way too low to make his "Battle Meditation" ability a viable threat because he dies so quickly and 2) His AI is terrible and his abilities are triggered at random times to the detriment of your defensive arena team. Right now he's just another body to toss in Galactic War.
  • SWHS
    121 posts Member
    Options
    Whales wrote: »
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Yoda isn't a viable Arena option in the current META. 1) His HP is way too low to make his "Battle Meditation" ability a viable threat because he dies so quickly and 2) His AI is terrible and his abilities are triggered at random times to the detriment of your defensive arena team. Right now he's just another body to toss in Galactic War.

His health is higher than Sid I don't understand this "his health to low" meme
  • Whales
    20 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SWHS wrote: »

Sid's low health is made up in spades by his INSANE dodge rate. His evade basically makes him a tank
  • Options
    I actually faced a Yoda in Arena that the AI uses brilliantly. He stole Lylos retribution and then proceeded to give it to the entire team. Epic. I'm pretty glad that my Asajj was up next...
  • jordissim
    18 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Ivan_Drago
    In my ensemble, TIE Fighter almost never gets killed: a 7* maxed-out TIE is plain amazing. Poe is very fast and manages to taunt before enough attacks reach the former, and on the whole TIE has more firepower than Yoda. He's probably the one character I would never leave out: he offers the chance to kill one character per turn, probably being THE best attacker in play (Rey is faster and almost as powerful, but her attacks rely too much on chance - whether she gets two, three or four hits in one turn are game-changers).
    @Whales @SWHS
    I agree with Wales: Sidious is not only great at dodges, but also provides speed, multi-attack, and damage over time. In my ensemble, and when facing the fastest characters in the game, the turns always goes as follows: it's always Count Dooku first (proceeding with Force Lightning, hopefully freezing Jedi or the rival max attacker, and/or having a good chance at a Crit; Deflection skills must always be taken into account), then Sidious, Leia (never in Stealth, a turn wasted), Dameron (taunt!!!), and finally TIE. And if the AI focuses on Sidious, no problem, since Poe is there to protect the rest, while Leia + TIE + Dooku (not so much) usually mean "I'm gonna kick your a**". I lead the ranks in my server more often than not, and usually finish my games with Poe out (if unlucky).
    Post edited by jordissim on

• Options
    @RonTom
    Was it good AI, or just plain good luck? Could you please detail the rival's strategy and squad? Thanks!

• Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    In a couple updates, Poe should be above 150 speed, making protecting Yoda a lot easier.
  • jordissim
    18 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Let's hope so. Still, a faster Dameron would unbalance the field, he's already too good and, in my opinion, a must for a squad.
    But won't the other players get faster as well? I mean, Leia, Sidious, Rey, Dooku, and Geonosian Soldier already display Yoda's speed (Dooku's faster, actually, and he can attack twice dealing a great amount of damage), and the real threat is to have Yoda wiped out before he can act (and he needs two turns to display his abilities fully). Build an ultra-aggressive team with just one tank with counterattack (Fives, or First Order Stormtrooper), or taunt tanks such as the aforementioned Poe, Han or the Empire Stormtrooper, and even Phasma for the extra attacks (add there Ren, TIE, and FO Stormtrooper, along with a taunter, and the synergies are plain awesome) and you've virtually dismantled any team displaying Yoda...
    Let's hope the EA guys notice the imbalance, and fix it as soon as they can.

• Options
    I'm on an older fairly stacked server and I hang around top 50 with
    Qgj as lead
    Yoda
    Mace
    Lumi
    Old Ben

If I wanted to blow crystals I could easily jump down further. Not sure how far. I've gotten in the 30's with no problem but stopped because I'm saving crystals for farming Anikan

Thing is. My yoda and qgj always go first. Doku on other team goes next. After that I've killed one of their guys. And yoda probably has his dodge buff up.
    My team is very fast. Once I replace old Ben with anakin I think things will be even easier. Mace is actually pretty good on this team believe it or not. His regular attack hits decently hard. If he drops an expose he puts out very nice dmg. -- obviously not fotp or Rey. But it's solid enough for this team

Mind you...defense is terrible. But, can't have it all I suppose.
  • jordissim
    18 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Sblakers
    Thank you! And yes, I believe Anakin will make your squad much stronger. He is very good, and if defense is your weak spot, the extra 60% damage he does on his next attack after somebody in your ensemble gets killed more than makes up for it.
    Post edited by jordissim on

• cby
    105 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Maybe Ackbar, Han, Leia, Yoda and then a heavy hitter (Rey, FOTP, Poggle offense up) or healer (Daka or Lumi)? Or Hoth Rebel Scout or Luke if you wanna go 4 rebel + yoda.
  • Options
    @jordissim
    I'm pretty sure he got lucky. I don't remember the exact circumstances but Yoda attacked and gained foresight first turn, second round used AoE and stole retribution and advantage. Third round have everyone the buffs.

It was cool, but I still won. Not sure I would have without Asajj debuff though. His team had QGJ lead but I don't remember the others.
  • Options
    SWHS wrote: »

Sid's low health is made up in spades by his INSANE dodge rate. His evade basically makes him a tank

Yoda has foresight, tho
    And can give it to the whole team in turn 2
  • Options
    I just tried Qui-Gon (lead, +23 Jedi speed), Yoda, Luminara, Old Daka and Poe with excellent results. Rey or FOTF instead of Daka are also great, or even Anakin if one wants to make the most of the added speed bonus.

• Options
    jordissim wrote: »
    @Sblakers
    Thank you! And yes, I believe Anakin will make your squad much stronger. He is very good, and if defense is your weak spot, the extra 60% damage he does on his next attack after somebody in your ensemble gets killed more than makes up for it.

That's nice to hear about anakin. His skill set and speed makes me think he will go well with my team-- but of course it was only theory craft on my end. I really like old Ben but I feel he is a tad too slow on my team-- the mind tricks is usually used after 2 guys get specials off so I feel it's not fully utilized-- luminaras force blast can stall good enough I hope.