Mother Talzin Arena Viability

Prev1
Arbitratur
38 posts Member
edited November 2017
wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts are with Mother Talzin, I brought her up to 7*, 2 pieces from g12, mainly for PVE with upcoming GvG and DS TB, but I’ve been experimenting throwing her into a meta team, but have been underwhelmed. Tried with just her, with acolyte, with zombie, with both acolyte and zombie. Got a few wins, but mainly against Rex led teams. So do u guys think there is a competitive PVP team with MT? Or is all nightsisters the way to go? Seems baze and zarris teams are the hardest matchup. Mind you I place in top of arena, so these teams have to beat top meta teams.

I’d like to see your ideas on team comps using MT.

If u want to see my roster, I’ll link it here also.
https://swgoh.gg/u/arbitratur/

Replies

• Options
    Competitive team. Can be beaten, so don't see a point in investing in it. Beta offers a lot of chances to try out such teams. Found out they are hugely overrated.
  • Options
    There are teams she works in well as "meta" type teams. Usually ones where she can survive long enough to rip through the opposition.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to strategy section
  • Options
    With MT lead Nightsisters I’ve moved back into being able to compete in arena for first place for the first time in probably over a year. Definitely viable. It’s allowing me to compete at the top without GK.
  • Options
    100% she's a gamechanger and she will help you cripple and defend vs. CLS meta squads. Full NS is NOT the way to do it though and you'll want to look at various combos. One form for example:

GK lead, Barriss, MamaT, Daka, R2

I'm using has as a lead in my arena squad and she's the only NS in the team...try here with R2 / GK combos. Vent as a lead and even Daka as a lead I've seen work well on O AND hold > CLS clone teams on D. Personally my MT squad is holding much better than my prior CLS squad on D. Average hold is about 10 over a 10+ day span compared to 20s / 30s with CLS. She's very tough on CLS clone teams when paired with GK / Barriss as the battle is elongated and the plague starts ripping the enemy apart as the battle goes on. Characters to work with Talzin (not including the Acolye cheese):

GK
    Barriss
    Zombie
    Ventress
    Old Ben
    R2
    EP
    Daka
    Thrawn

There's likely others as well, but those heroes I've seen in actual teams and with proven evidence of success on O and also defending well on D. I haven't seen a full configuration of a NS squad that holds decently or even > CLS on defense however. If you don't use GK / Barris than you'll for sure want R2 / Thrawn as a combo to fend off Han and also provide stealth cover for Talzin to use her AOE attack.
  • Options
    GK, Zarris, MT, + 2 more tanks seems like an interesting / annoying strategy. Old Ben Seems like a good one with GK lead, and then R2 / Mask-less Kylo / or STHan. Or you could try throwing in Thrawn too.
  • Options
    Most use two tanks to keep her alive. Which really restricts the long term viability of mt. In a non nightsisters squad but definitely possible.
  • Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha , thanks for your post! Problem with barris is she/b2/hermit yoda are the only toons I don’t even have unlocked :neutral: . I do have a max thrawn though. Maybe I need to start actually working on gearing my R2
  • Options
    100% she's a gamechanger and she will help you cripple and defend vs. CLS meta squads. Full NS is NOT the way to do it though and you'll want to look at various combos. One form for example:

Lol, then you have all the NS with speed, GL12 and Zeta'ed? I am going to assume no with this comment, yea don't put in MT as lead in a full NS group, she's terrible that way. It's horrible that she has never ending rez capability when put on a full NS squad. I am seriously curious to know how maxed your NS are.

• Options
    I haven’t needed more than 2 battles to take 1st since I got them geared up. Best arena team I’ve ever had (and as you can in my arena team I’ve had other good teams).

As I’ve said before, it’s not about being able to beat everyone. It’s about being annoying. My shard is all GK or CLS lead. Those teams struggle to beat NS. And people would rather go around than worry about changing their team up in order to go through.

https://swgoh.gg/u/bulldog1205/
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I haven’t needed more than 2 battles to take 1st since I got them geared up. Best arena team I’ve ever had (and as you can in my arena team I’ve had other good teams).

As I’ve said before, it’s not about being able to beat everyone. It’s about being annoying. My shard is all GK or CLS lead. Those teams struggle to beat NS. And people would rather go around than worry about changing their team up in order to go through.

Nice. That's the first I'd heard about a full NS team being good on D. We had a full G12 7* NS team that included Spirit and Zombie and it just got smashed to heck on our shard. I think your form with Acolyte is another adaptation that probably helps with the annoyance factor vs. NS Spirit. How are your mods relative to your shard? Do you enjoy a sizable speed advantage over most? Also, how much better does this hold in comparison to the CLS squad that you used before in terms of like an average rank comparison?

Your Talzin is looking good - I have similarly maxed all of her G12 pieces as well and very happy. I see you have rampage zeta'd, are you considering Daka for a zeta as well?
  • Options

Lol, then you have all the NS with speed, GL12 and Zeta'ed? I am going to assume no with this comment, yea don't put in MT as lead in a full NS group, she's terrible that way. It's horrible that she has never ending rez capability when put on a full NS squad. I am seriously curious to know how maxed your NS are.

So you're disagreeing or agreeing with me that Mother Talzin is great and a gamechanger?
  • Options
    Arbitratur wrote: »
    @JohnnySteelAlpha , thanks for your post! Problem with barris is she/b2/hermit yoda are the only toons I don’t even have unlocked :neutral: . I do have a max thrawn though. Maybe I need to start actually working on gearing my R2

Well yes definitely get R2 worked up - he's an elite character in the game. But seems like Bulldog1205 has a defense-viable comp below at least on his leaderboard so maybe not having Barriss / Yoda / R2 will work for you.

In general I'd say yes MotherT permits some greatly competitive arena comps whether it be in full NS or not, she's definitely plug and play capable in arena.
  • Options

Nice. That's the first I'd heard about a full NS team being good on D. We had a full G12 7* NS team that included Spirit and Zombie and it just got smashed to heck on our shard. I think your form with Acolyte is another adaptation that probably helps with the annoyance factor vs. NS Spirit. How are your mods relative to your shard? Do you enjoy a sizable speed advantage over most? Also, how much better does this hold in comparison to the CLS squad that you used before in terms of like an average rank comparison?

Your Talzin is looking good - I have similarly maxed all of her G12 pieces as well and very happy. I see you have rampage zeta'd, are you considering Daka for a zeta as well?

I would say I’m above average with mods in my shard in terms of speed. I don’t have any high speed damage sets though, which means I can’t run Talzin the way I prefer. This is probably because I never farm mods, I only buy them with credits. So they aren’t all on the same sets.

My CLS squad usually fell to around 15-20 before I started to climb. Towards the end it was dropping into the 20s as everyone was getting that same team and it was more crowded. With NS I haven’t fallen past 10 and have had a few days where I didn’t even down a single spot. Usually that’s when I finish 3 or 4 (we rotate top spots).
  • Options
    @Bulldog1205 how many enemy teams include chaze or zariss around you? I'm finding them to be nearly impossible to take on with your team comp. The chaze heals over time and perma baze taunt (zombie deaths) completely negate plague - and assaj/acolyte crits heal targets to full and remove plague against zariss teams. Do you just not have to deal with these? Or have some advice hah?
  • HeavilyModerated
    20 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mewingloki wrote: »
    @Bulldog1205 how many enemy teams include chaze or zariss around you? I'm finding them to be nearly impossible to take on with your team comp. The chaze heals over time and perma baze taunt (zombie deaths) completely negate plague - and assaj/acolyte crits heal targets to full and remove plague against zariss teams. Do you just not have to deal with these? Or have some advice hah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Oz0zKuWDM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzs-zIAwCoM
  • Options

About half the teams use the GK/Barris combo. I have no issues with it. I just only attack GK and let Plague take care of everyone else. If it goes on long enough Ventress will be hitting hard enough to go through any heals.

Chaze in offense can wipe through my team easily. When I’m on offense though I can still take them out easily because Chirrut is so squishy. Talzin and Acolyte can both take him out in a single turn.
  • Options
    Oh, and as for Daka, I don’t plan to zeta her. It helps on offense, but she doesn’t help much on defense since she is usually taken out first. It’s just not enough of a difference maker that it’s worth a zeta. I’ll probably go back to hoarding those preparing for whatever is next.
  • Mewingloki
    515 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I appreciate the vids and comments. I feel like my Assaj is definitely not pulling her weight hah. Maybe just really need the zeta on Rampage so she can gain max HP and not die - ive not seen mine hit for anything near what you guys are showing. Enemy raid han usually just slapshots my assaj dead at the beginning of the match or immediately after Luke puts immunity on zombie lol.

https://swgoh.gg/u/mewingloki/collection/23/asajj-ventress/

Also - what happens with mother's plague triggers under Assaj lead? If Mother uses her basic on on toon and it does its arc thing does it knock TM down on multiple targets or just the primary?
  • Options
    I appreciate the vids and comments. I feel like my Assaj is definitely not pulling her weight hah. Maybe just really need the zeta on Rampage so she can gain max HP and not die - ive not seen mine hit for anything near what you guys are showing. Enemy raid han usually just slapshots my assaj dead at the beginning of the match or immediately after Luke puts immunity on zombie lol.

Also - what happens with mother's plague triggers under Assaj lead? If Mother uses her basic on on toon and it does its arc thing does it knock TM down on multiple targets or just the primary?

Anyone hit can lose TM.

If Ventress is being 1 shot at the beginning then you need to gear her up more. She isn’t that squishy. But the zeta on rampage really helps with TM gain as much as anything. She will take a lot more turns.
  • Options
    That new Wampa toon + MT = hmmm very interesting
  • Options

That MT / Vent lead is what I want to really run - since all plagued units get damaged on her basic, all plagued enemies can lose TM under a Vent lead just from Talzin's basic. It behaves similar to EP and shock damage undre Vader. Very nasty stuff there.
  • Options
    For anyone running full NS with MT lead, what are the zeta priorities? I have her Z leader skill, almost have another zeta ready and was going to put it on Asajj unique next, then Daka unique, then back to MT for sher unique.

As far as trying her with tanks what about Thrawn and Shoretrooper, then FO Officer and FOST? Then MT in there? Could use Thrawn and FOO to keep boosting her TM to stack plague and fire off the AOE more.

We need a sandbox.
  • Options
    DasMurich wrote: »
    For anyone running full NS with MT lead, what are the zeta priorities? I have her Z leader skill, almost have another zeta ready and was going to put it on Asajj unique next, then Daka unique, then back to MT for sher unique.

As far as trying her with tanks what about Thrawn and Shoretrooper, then FO Officer and FOST? Then MT in there? Could use Thrawn and FOO to keep boosting her TM to stack plague and fire off the AOE more.

We need a sandbox.

I did Talzin unique, Talzin lead, Ventress unique. I didn’t Zeta Daka, and probably won’t.
  • Options
    Is her unique that effective?
  • Options

Anyone hit can lose TM.

If Ventress is being 1 shot at the beginning then you need to gear her up more. She isn’t that squishy. But the zeta on rampage really helps with TM gain as much as anything. She will take a lot more turns.

I've gotten her to g12 so far - need to start filling in her last 3 pieces. My ventress has 19k hp and 27k prot atm. Never really looks tanky with han solo slinging 30-40k crits around lol.
  • Options
    DasMurich wrote: »
    Is her unique that effective?

Her unique is incredibly effective. She ignores protection so if you have MT modded for good damage she can drop characters like Han, Luke, or Thrawn to <50% on the opening AOE. 35% TM gain is a lot and as a lead she can easily be 250+ speed anyway. Her AOE has a 4 turn CD, but even in matches that last 2 or fewer minutes I always get to use it a second time, generally for a finishing blow. She's taking so many turns.
  • Options
    Good to know, thanks for the input.
  • Options
    @HeavilyModerated Do you have a link to your Assaj by chance? Watching the vids again and cant help but notice the density of green hp lines of yours seems like double mine lol. Would love to see your mods/stats.

Does the AI prioritize attacking targets with the lowest hp/prot total? I did a refresh and did 5 more fights this evening for fun and every single fight enemy AI stunned, fractured, and slaughtered assaj first lol. Looking at my numbers, my assaj technically has the lowest hp/prot total. She has 1k more hp than my zombie...but the zombie's protection is actually double assaj's putting zombie's grand total way higher. I'm wondering if they are targeting her for her hp/prot?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys, I will be gearing R2 for now, and finish g12 MT, then experiment again. It seems like the best option is to allow MT to do what she does best, spread plague. I think the idea is to focus on GK, and let plague do it’s thing on the other toons. RFA podcast mentioned a team with I think AA/hoda/MT/2 tanks, if I remember right, but I don’t plan on investing in hoda as of yet. But possibly surrounding her with tanks might do the trick to protect her. MT/zombie/shore/GK/ 5th I’m unsure, another tank might be overkill, I’d say Asajj/Acolyte/Daka/CLS/Thrawn?