Chopper without Phoenix?

Does anyone use Chopper outside a Phoenix squad? Even though he's not technically a tank, he seems to perform pretty well in that role. I'm considering swapping out my Stormtrooper Han for Chopper on my light side team. But before I start putting energy into gearing Chopper past Gear VIII, I figured I'd check in with the collective wisdom of the forum...

Replies

• Options
    Droid teams yes, light side Idk
  • Options
    If i were you, i would switch out st han for a better tank, not a worse one
  • Options
    Chopper is indeed viable running with r2d2. They both need to be fast my r2 is 223 and chopper 202 I think. Chopper then assists and reduces cooldown and also regenerates protection from dispelling buffs

I have run sthan and chopper g10 and I prefer chopper

Have a look https://swgoh.gg/u/thejamman/
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    TheJamMan wrote: »
    Chopper is indeed viable running with r2d2. They both need to be fast my r2 is 223 and chopper 202 I think. Chopper then assists and reduces cooldown and also regenerates protection from dispelling buffs

I have run sthan and chopper g10 and I prefer chopper

Have a look https://swgoh.gg/u/thejamman/

I concede that chopper may be more useful to you with r2 since he can reduce cooldowns, but your chopper wont last very long against hard hitting end game teams, with or without CLS. He may be the best you have, but calling him "viable" is a stretch.

I face super tough Rex leads in my shard every day, and chopper is not better tham baze or GK or even old ben
  • DasMurich
    245 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've run Ackbar with Chopper, R2, BB, and KS in TB and they perform surprisingly well. Would love to get both zetas on R2, BB's self preservation, and possibly KS's zeta as well. Chopper is zeta free. One day I suppose.

Chopper works best with droids if you've maxed his basic.

It's a fun team.
  • Options
    Yes, I often use chopper in my main GW team of HK-47, IG88, IG86, R2, and Chopper (subbing in B2 or JE if they would do better). His assist to droids is a small but helpful boost, and his turbo-charging cooldowns is helpful in GW where you're generally crushing many teams in a row with AOE.
  • Options
    Mobewan wrote: »
    If i were you, i would switch out st han for a better tank, not a worse one

You're very anti phoenix lol

I am not anti phoenix, lol
    If you are a brand new player, they are ok
    I am describing medium and top arena teams and wether or not chopper is a viable end game long term arena tank.
  • fmf
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Worth mentioning that g12 Chopper gets a pretty bonkers boost to his survivability.