How I wish ships worked...

Yeah, I know, it's far too late in the development process to change things up like this, but maybe these thoughts will inspire some aspiring gamemaker one day in the future...

So, in Star Wars, the space battles have a lot of the same ships in combat. Generally, an X-Wing is an X-Wing is an X-wing... even more so for the uniform nature of TIE fighters. If Luke took Wedge's X-wing, it wouldn't be likely to make much difference in anything.

As such, I would have preferred to see ships be a little more like characters, but treat characters as mods. You just have an X-Wing (well, five of them, but I'll get to that later), and you assign 1-2 characters to it, one requiring the "Humanoid" tag, and one requiring the "Astromech" tag. The ship has to have at least 1 crew assigned to function, but it doesn't need to be any specific crew. If a crewmember is assigned to it, they can't be assigned to any other ship at the same time. Some characters, based on faction, might have bonuses with some ships... for instance, Rebels and Resistance might get some performance buffs in an X-Wing. Smugglers get better stats in the Falcon, Imperials do better in TIEs, and so on.

Now, about that "five X-Wings" thing... Instead of having "Biggs X-Wing, Wedge's X-Wing," and so on, you have five different X-Wings with the same stats, Red 1 through Red 5 (Gold 1 - Gold 5 for Y-Wings, and so forth). You only do this with non-unique vessels, like standard starfighters... The Millenium Falcon is one of a kind, no matter witch radar dish it uses. When you get shards for such non-unique ships, they can be used to unlock or star-up any of the same type of vessel, so even if you push an X-Wing to 7star, you can still get more shards to use on other x-wings... and you don't need to max one out before starring up others, so if you wanted to unlock all five before starring up, you could (probably not advisable most of the time, but who is anyone to say it's wrong if somebody wants to run a full team of TIE Interceptors?).

Of course, this concept would also work well with the idea of being able to get multiple non-unique ground characters as well, like stormtroopers, rebel pilots, astromechs, and so on, especially if shards for non-uniques are available in ways that make them much easier to farm than uniques. Take that a step further by being able to alter their appearance by gearing them differently and this whole thing is almost an RPG.

Anyway, like I said, this obviously doesn't work as a potential change to this game, but maybe someone will find it inspirational.

Replies