Capital ships... why massive classes?

Hello everyone!
First time poster (although frequent reader), so please be gentle :-P

So, I don't really know where to put this but it doesn't feel like a fleet feedback, more like a discussion on opinions regarding fleets. (If you beg to differ, feel free to move this thread)

So, what do I actually want to say some might ask. Well, I personally LOVE fleet arena and the ships (always loved all the vehicular battles in Star Wars, especially space battles), but one thing strikes me as odd.
We all love our Imperial I-class Star Destroyers, the republican Venator class as well as the well known and loved Home One, but I keep pondering:

We have those huge, iconic and awesome space crafts designed for large scale battles, yet we only have squad sizes of 5. Yeah, I know there is battling in the background, but it seems rather insignificant compared to the status these cpaital ships have. Yeah, I also understand that we should feel like being in there but with only like a certain, set "battleground" in this space battle. Obviously, additional animations etc would slow things down or might even result in frame drops etc... I fully understand that.
For once, I do NOT suggest to make room for more ships in squards, I wondered why not making use of ship classes, which make more sense and/or could create more diversity in fleet battles?

As I stated, I think the capital ships we have now, are awesome and I guess in a way supposed to be our 'generic factional' empire, republican and rebel ships, I think it might be an interesting field for the devs to look into more specialized, skirmish class ships.
Again, I do know that not even every faction has it's own capital ships as of now (Seperatists, Bounty Hunters, First Order...) .
Yet, I think it might be adding more fun and possibilites to create our teams as the fleet pool grows stronger and bigger!

So what am I actually aiming this discussion for?
Well, I think smaller capital ships might be an interesting field. Instead of the size I'll call Star Destroyer size for now, wouldn't it make sense to have small crafts - in name corvette class - in smaller skirmishes with out 10 ship limit?

In general I'd say these ships are faster (getting more turns than that usual capital ship) but abilities are WAY more specific in what they do and damage output is WAY lower as well. Maybe think of it as an support class capital ship with the main purpose of giving benefits to specific ships or ship classes

Examples given of the ships-classes and what they could add to the game (and they are even canon!):

Gozanti-class Transports
A smaller transport class, with the main purpose of transporting Ties from battlefield to battlefield. Functioning as rearm, refuel, repair dock as Ties lack hyperdrives)

Theoretically, instead of giving bonuses to empire's ships in general, they could respectively give benefits to ships of the Tie-class. Repairing them, removing debuffs, maybe even - as ultimate - lets you get a generic, weaker form of Tie Fighter we already have ingame?

Imperial Raider-class
As the Empire learned that small groups of enemy fighters could use their manouverability to outmanouver massive ships like the Star Destroyers, they came up with a smaller anti-fighter ship class.
All out attack ship. Supporting fire for the small vessels. An anti-fighter aoe vessel. Maybe even respectively stronger versus rebel vessels. Debuffs coming to mind.

CR90-corvette
Tantive IV being the most renown ship of its kind, due to its appearance in the very first Star Wars movie. Albeit, not designed as fighting vessel it could be outfitted for various situations, battles and could even carry a couple of smaller vessels.
To be honest, I am not entirely sure what one could do with this as a rebel only style of ship. Maybe similar to the Raider-class? Well, never mind, I think you got my point.

I could go on with examples of smaller spacecrafts for bounty hunters or Speratists as well, but I think you got my point.
So, what do you guys think? Would you like to see such covette-sized ships as well? Do you think they might add depth and diversity as much as I think they could?

Replies

• Options
    Congrats for your first post.

And this belongs to Feedback/Ships, so ... moved !
  • Options
    One way to achieve what you're after might be through events... I was pretty disappointed with the lack of creativity in Territory Battles, especially with regards to the Fleet battles, but imagine you were given a range of event units to compliment your own arsenal and complete a given story arc, mission or raid. There's a lot of potential there to come up with cool space battles which relate back to the movies (e.g. you're commanding a squadron of X-wing or TIE fighter event units...)
  • Options
    I want the Executor, I don't want smaller ones I want bigger ones
  • Options
    I don‘ think we‘ll see dreadnoughts ingame. That is, unless we‘re getting an armada style fleet battle.
    1 Dreadnought, 1-2 corvettes and like 3 squads of 5 small Fighters that act as one. As I said, completely different game mode.

I think corvettes and iconic ones at that, might be something else