Basic Modding Help

I'm not the greatest at modding my characters. And I KNOW there's 9000 guides out there on how mod everyone perfectly and precisely, but if we're being honest here, you and I, I'm not the greatest at modding because I can't be bothered to put the time and energy into reading it all. I want something quick and dirty.

So my very basic question is: are mod sets worth the effort? Might it be more effective to choose mods based upon their primary and secondary attributes, ignoring the set power than it is to collect a set that doesn't maybe have all the primary and secondary attributes you want?

That is all! Unless you have other quick and dirty advice you want to impart (besides "go read all the articles on modding and leave us alone").

Thanks,
SamUX

Replies

• Options
    oh yeah set bonus does matter unless you have a crazy speed secondary mod that doesn't fit the set
  • Options
    SamuraiUX wrote: »
    ...if we're being honest here, you and I, I'm not the greatest at modding because I can't be bothered to put the time and energy into reading it all.

But you want people to be bothered to put the time and energy into helping and explaining it to you?

Right.

This game rewards hard work. It's a long tough slog. If you're not prepared for it then don't bother.

• Options
    ...if we're being honest here, you and I, I'm not the greatest at modding because I can't be bothered to put the time and energy into reading it all.

But you want people to be bothered to put the time and energy into helping and explaining it to you?

Right.

This game rewards hard work. It's a long tough slog. If you're not prepared for it then don't bother.

So... that was unnecessary, unhelpful, and ****-ish.

I'm a high-level player with lots of solid squads - I know how to grind. But I don't like my fun to be a "long, tough, slog." Work and life and tough. This is... a game.

I'm personally more than happy to explain things to others who don't want to read blogs and listen to podcasts on GOH. If you're not, feel free not to answer the question. Coming here just to tell me my question is stupid is... well, you pick your own adjective.

And I didn't ask for a long, detailed guide. I asked a specific, simple question. Thanks, bye.
  • Options
    Look how many replies you've got to your original question. Ask yourself why.
  • Options
    Look how many replies you've got to your original question. Ask yourself why.

He got one, which was a decent answer. How many more does he need?
    B_O_S_S_K in SW:G | G O R N in ST:T
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options

That is all! Unless you have other quick and dirty advice you want to impart (besides "go read all the articles on modding and leave us alone").

Thanks,
    SamUX
    Also if anyone wants to say this to the op can they please be specific. There is a tonne of guides out there but as someone not an expert in the game I don't know what's upto date.

Also if there is a guide can it include farming advice rather than just get these mods.
  • Options
    Here is my philosophy... just mine, try it if you like it:

Top priority for me when modding is 5*. If it isn't 5* I won't bother with it. To get to this point, I had to level up a ton of 1-4* in order to unlock the 5* Heath mods, but once you're at that point... 5* or bust. It is important to begin working on characters that will allow you to unlock the other mod sets. They do not need to be 7*, just 5*, L80-85, Attacks/Abilities L6-7, and modded with your best 5* Health Mods (or whatever you were able to get 5* already).

Now that you can farm any 5* mods, mod-set bonus is a priority. I want the proper mod set for that character and I generally take the advice given my Crouching Rancor. I have considered other mod sets from time to time. If all you can get is 1 or 2 mod set types, then move to Primary stat...

Next: Primary stat (again, Crouching Rancor as a guide): Once I started to have a solid inventory of 5*, Level 15 Mods, begin to start modding Arena team with the proper primary stat, while moving these exchanged mods down to the characters that can help you unlock the next mod challenge you want.

Finally, speed secondaries. Begin the process of swapping our you arena mods with the fastest secondaries you've been able to find. Rinse and repeat.

Some will say only level up mods with speed seconds and at some point in your mod farming, they are right. But until you have a robust selection to choose from, waiting for a offense cross, with potency primary , plus a speed secondary..... grab a snickers cuz it could be a while.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Options
    I’ll share my regrets.....speed secondaries are obviously important, but while farming them, don’t overlook other potential secondaries.

Perfect example: potency. I have potency secondaries, with zero speed of over 4% on all but the arrow mod on 3 crit chance sets for my Resistance Pilot. She applies expose, and gains TM from crits. Her gear gives her potency so all those crit chance mods that didn’t roll speed, but did roll potency are perfect for her. Her ant trooper go back and forth on the tank in P2 and the other 3 Resistance practically stand there.

Another example is tenacity secondaries for SIT. I like defense primaries for him because if his unique, but I don’t want him stunned.

Do not neglect all mods without speed secondaries. A lot are junk, so I would advise watching some YouTube videos, spending time looking at the needs of the different types/jobs of toons in your squads, and keep any colored mod until you are 100% certain it doesn’t work for ANY of your toons.

With the new TW node, I wish I had all the non speed secondary mods I’ve sold in my 11 months playing. I know I would want a good 20-30 of them leveled for specific toons.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! That's helpful stuff - straightforward and simple. Just what I needed. =)
  • Options
    Farming mods guide? Seriously?

Easy as it gets?

Use half your cantina energy on mods.
    Choose which ones you want to keep, sell the rest.
    Done.