First Successful Heroic Rancor

Fauztin
1332 posts Member
My guild is small, and we’re a casual group with lower level players. We do have about a half dozen heavy hitters though. We just finished our first successful Heroic Rancor Raid after one failed attempt last month.

(I know, this is all old news for a lot of people.)

My reason for posting this is looking for advice and most current strategies to pass on to our newer players to spread as common knowledge. From what I’ve gathered, it’s ALL about TM manipulation. Meaning the following characters are essential:

Jyn, Rex, Bistan, Thrawn, Teebo

Is that a viable team by itself? Should they be mixed with others? Looking for all suggestions and input, thank you.

(Our guild is at about 20m GP, but we’re about to clean house with about 10-15 inactive players)
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne

Replies

• Options
    Congrats on the rancor. Just because a lot of us completed it a long time ago doesn't mean it's not an accomplishment worthy of praise.
    The best advice I can offer is that if your culling that much of your guild, you may want to look into merging.
    As far as specific toons, if your using teebo try to pair him with r2
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Options
    @c1ever_pun , thanks! We’ve been working towards it since I joined, right before he first TB launch in September. I left my last guild with a handful of good friends that were also on the top tier (on a scale), so we sort of already did a merge in that regard. Inactivity issues. In this guild, we have a good amount of turnover. Whenever we fill up, kick the 3 members who have the longest period of time since their last login.

We don’t have activity, participation, or level requirements, but it’s somethjng we’re transitioning towards with TW now open. Gotta have at least 25 active on a daily basis. A lot of our bigger members aim to boost our lvl 30-70s as much as we can, through item exchange and guiding to get at least one toon eligible to join raids for participation rewards.

I’ll try pairing him with R2, I haven’t gotten him to 7*s yet, but I just finished Thrawn this last one around. Should be good if they drop the event before next CLS Heroes journey.

So list of toons to focus gearing is this so far:

Thrawn
    R2
    Jyn
    Teebo
    Rex
    Bistan

Any other prime candidates? I know a few that have TM reduction, but aren’t very good. Like CW chewie
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    TM manipulation is essential. You've got that right. However, without tenacity down (TFP, Dengar etc.) your whole team is going to need very high potency to land their TM removal, and without speed down (Phasma, 5s, RG, Vader, Dengar etc.) the Rancor will still gain TM relatively fast. Dengar can apply both, but he's a rare toon at your stage. The combination of Phasma and TFP is awsome due to the synergy. Phasma's Victory March ensures that TFP's next hit will be a crit and hence land tenacity down. With tenacity down applied Phasma's speed down will land easily. Furthermore, Phasma's VM is great for when Teebo looses his stealth. The TM gain will give him a chance to regain it faster or also to get ahead of the Rancor's TM.

Other TM manipulators that work well in that raid:

FOO is really great. He can remove TM often and also grant 100% TM to Teebo when needed.

EE and Ewok scout. EE grants TM to your team and can save you if things go wrong. Scout removes TM and calls assist for furter TM removal. Also great ewok synergy.

QGJ has TM removal on his basic. Furthermore his special can heal a bit if things go bad.

Pro tip:
    Have your TM manipulators fast, but keep your Tenacity/speed down debuffers slow (unless under zader lead). The Rancor gains TM for every hit he receives. After the debuffs are applied their hits will only feed TM to the rancor.

Pro tip 2:
    In phases 2 and 3 save toppling for when the Rancor has high TM and you risk him taking a turn. Killing the button is a great life saver. Save it for when it's really needed.
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Options
    @Waqui , thanks! That was very informative, I appreciate the breakdown of synergies and complimentary compositions. I have most of those toons at 7*s and will experiment a bit before proposing guidance to smaller members of who to farm first. Phasma and Teebo are a given, easily obtained through GW shipments.

Q#1: TFP, for tenacity down, easy farm and a prime toon for anyone’s empire team. You mentioned synergy with Phasma, is that in reference to FOTP? Or unofficial synergy where TFP happens to work very well with that comp?

Q#2: with these characters’ functions and purposes in mind, what leader abilities do you recommend?

Pro-Tip 2 Response: We’ve made it a habit of only destroying the door lock the turn right before his Devour ability, to buy us extra time (also coordinated when he’s high TM). Do you recommend doing it sooner in the Battle with TM as the priority so we get it back faster?
  • Options
    Hi I tried to read all responses but a bit long for me lol.

Anyway Basically Jyn is the star of the Rancor but you will need speed on her and you won't need Tie fighter because she gains 10% potency for each Crit hit. But if you use Teebo you need Tie fighter tenacity down or Teebo @ 80 or 90% tenacity I think, not sure exactly how much.
    Teebo can be really good, Jyn just is naturally faster.
  • Options
    Congrats!

I used to do my first solos with Teebo - QGJ - Tarkin - TFP - Bistan
    Swopped Jyn in when she was ready, for Tarkin whose aoe is an emergency TM removal tool

You should be able to full solo with just Teebo, Jyn, Thrawn albeit it would be slow going.
  • Options
    It takes a little to get used to Jyn's turn meter removal because it's on a cooldown of 2 so, Jyn needs to steal atleast 50% tm so she can go and then go a second time before Rancor can go. But this is easy if you steal 100% tm and Rancor has Speed down on him.

One more thing is with the other allies it is nice to have the option to use passive moves. Because the Rancor gains 5% tm when it takes dmg so like Chirrut has a cleanse ability doesn't hit Rancor and Cassian has a non attack and speed down which is nice. But if K2 is present he'll assist and give Rancor 5% tm
  • Options
    Oh and the question about Phasma and Tie fighter synergy. It's Because Phasma gives advantage and Tie Fighter's tenacity down isn't like normal debuffs that require potency to inflict, but instead if you get a critical hit it will always inflicts it

Teebo Lead can be good or Jyn if she needs
    Depending on who you are running

And I would definitely crush the door as early as possible.
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the advice and feedback, guys! I think I have a pretty good idea of the team comps I’m going to start focusing on, and passing it down the line to there’s in my guild. Definitely gonna work on gearing up the main group to get closer to Solo-ing it when the time comes.
  • Options
    Another route that no one has mentioned but still works well is Darth vader's leader ability with its zeta upgrade it makes it so all empire and sith have a 50% chance to remove 20% turn meter which is unresistable.
    My first solos came from using Darth Vader lead with 4 other empire/sith and they have evolved from there to include charactors like Jyn and thrawn who make it alot easier.
  • Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    Another route that no one has mentioned but still works well is Darth vader's leader ability with its zeta upgrade it makes it so all empire and sith have a 50% chance to remove 20% turn meter which is unresistable.
    My first solos came from using Darth Vader lead with 4 other empire/sith and they have evolved from there to include charactors like Jyn and thrawn who make it alot easier.

@Darthpedro
    Thanks for this - I actually have a zeta prepped to go, just haven’t decided who to give it to. I gave my other two to DN (oops, sort of). I might try a team under Vader lead with jyn in it though.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Fauztin wrote: »
    @Waqui , thanks!

[..]

Q#1: TFP, for tenacity down, easy farm and a prime toon for anyone’s empire team. You mentioned synergy with Phasma, is that in reference to FOTP? Or unofficial synergy where TFP happens to work very well with that comp?

Q#2: with these characters’ functions and purposes in mind, what leader abilities do you recommend?

Pro-Tip 2 Response: We’ve made it a habit of only destroying the door lock the turn right before his Devour ability, to buy us extra time (also coordinated when he’s high TM). Do you recommend doing it sooner in the Battle with TM as the priority so we get it back faster?

I'm happy, that I could hekp :—)

Regarding TFP and Phasma synergy:
    TFP doesn't require potency to land his tenacity down on the rancor. He simply needs to land a crit hit. Phasma's victory march ensures that crit hit (unless he's dodged/avoided ofc.).

I would recommend Teebo lead with thise toons. Phasma is not needed with a Zader lead. Vader will apply speed down himself. Teebo (L), Jyn, TFP, Phasma and Rex can solo the whole raid. Alternatively use Thrawn instead of Rex (both should work well, though)

The idea is, that Rancor should not take a single turn until maybe once or twice in phase 4. Hence you will never risk that he devours one of your toons.

Good luck! :—)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Just elaborating:

I would save door down button until Rancor has high TM and you risk, that it will take a turn. You could take the button to maybe half health first. Toppling (door down) is a great life saver.