Territory Wars - A not so enthusiastic review

Duckoo
279 posts Member
edited December 2017
So before a bunch of people jump on to the bandwagon about how much they enjoy territory wars, I appreciate your experience has been different than mine. However, this has been my experience.

In our first territory wars we faced against a team with 10 million more gp than we have. This (if you assume 25k power for a meta toon) is approximately 80 meta teams more than we have.

Our second territory wars we faced against a team with 17 million more gp than we have. This (if you assume 25k power for a meta toon) is approximately 136 meta teams more than we have.

I get that good strategy and planning can overcome some differences, but no where near this difference. And the only modifications that can be made in these situations to give the lower gp guild more of a chance will just increase the rate of ties more than give the underdogs a better chance to win. I understand the team matching was likely made up to allow for diversity and prevent stale constant match ups between the same guilds, but if you are the lower end of the match up it simply is not enjoyable. You are putting in more effort than you were for galactic war without the slimmest chance of a victory. 1-5 million gp can be overcome and could be a competitive match up. That we are looking at double to four times this difference is ridiculous.

Please feel free to begin your trolling now should you wish.

Replies

• Options
    Duckoo wrote: »
    So before a bunch of people jump on to the bandwagon about how much they enjoy territory wars, I appreciate your experience has been different than mine. However, this has been my experience.

In our first territory wars we faced against a team with 10 million more gp than we have. This (if you assume 25k power for a meta toon) is approximately 80 meta teams more than we have.

Our second territory wars we faced against a team with 17 million more gp than we have. This (if you assume 25k power for a meta toon) is approximately 136 meta teams more than we have.

I get that good strategy and planning can overcome some differences, but no where near this difference. And the only modifications that can be made in these situations to give the lower gp guild more of a chance will just increase the rate of ties more than give the underdogs a better chance to win. I understand the team matching was likely made up to allow for diversity and prevent stale constant match ups with the same team, but if you are the lower end of the match up it simply is not enjoyable. You are putting in more effort than you were for galactic war without the slimmest chance of a victory. 1-5 million gp can be overcome and could be a competitive match up. That we are looking at double to four times this difference is ridiculous.

Please feel free to begin your trolling now should you wish.

I do not wish to troll. I merely would comment on the inevitable hatred that will fuel rants in the future. Its new and shiny, like Phasma. pretty soon it will be whiney and old hat, like Kylo or Anakin skywalker.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    1 possible explaination for the enemy guild having more GP could be that not all of their member participated. not sure if that's the case though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    if you are at the low end of your bracket (e.g. just over 60 mill) and they are at the high end, that can in theory be a 9-10 million difference right there. If this possibility is an issue for you, then either gear up more or kick a person so you drop to the high end of the bracket below the one you are in. Also if you're basing your GP idea off of their guild's swgoh.gg profile, then you assume they all participated which they maybe/likely didnt.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    1 possible explaination for the enemy guild having more GP could be that not all of their member participated. not sure if that's the case though.

This is likely. You are matchmade with a guild with similar participation count and similar participating GP.

If you just look up the other guild in GG, you might think you have been outmatched by the system, but GG has no idea how many members are participating in the TW and the game doesn't give you that information anywhere.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

Isn't that determined by the registration phase?
  • Options
    I absolutly LOVE TW! While it may not be a home run it's easily a stand-up triple. I believe the tie issue can be solved simply by handing out 1-5 banners/defensive hold. I'm also happy that the difference between 1st and 2nd are negligible making this new mode primarily about guild strategy and fun and as a guild leader I'm getting both! I've noticed that a large amount of complaints have come from guilds that don't use discord or line for guild communication making guild stategizing next to impossible
  • Options
    Desarob wrote: »
    I absolutly LOVE TW! While it may not be a home run it's easily a stand-up triple. I believe the tie issue can be solved simply by handing out 1-5 banners/defensive hold. I'm also happy that the difference between 1st and 2nd are negligible making this new mode primarily about guild strategy and fun and as a guild leader I'm getting both! I've noticed that a large amount of complaints have come from guilds that don't use discord or line for guild communication making guild stategizing next to impossible

It's new. With rewards being so close, why even bother to compete? We're all scoundrels here, we wanna get paid. Isn't that why we play? To advance?
  • Options
    TAureliusC wrote: »
    I want a live vs battle, like an Arena battle but in real time so we don't have to contend with AI. The same goes for fleet battle.
    Live pvp involves brand new servers - or something like that. Not happening.

To op- I understand it’s frustrsting but doesn’t mean it will happen every time. The 2 times we had the gp has been on point and evenly matched. Or will work the other way around for you and your guild.
  • Dyakoff
    284 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, you can beat guilds with 10 mil GP higher then yours.
    No, most likely this 10 mln is not located in the form of 80 meta teams. It is most likely thinly spread around 2500 non meta units.
    Good luck next time thou
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I absolutly LOVE TW! While it may not be a home run it's easily a stand-up triple.

A swinging bunt with a throwing error by the third baseman allowing the runner to advance to second at best.

Seriously though... Same issues as with the tourney. It has potential but I don't like the current format. My opinion.
  • Options
    It kinda depends how much GP the guild are. If they are 50m and 67m the difference is big. But 110m and 127m it doesnt matter and it will end up in a tie anyways.
  • Options
    Day 1: register for TW
    Day 2: set crap defense (that meets the requirements, aka 6k power/toon)
    Day 3: battle with your best toons for a tie

Get rewards, done with minimal effort whatsoever.
    I like it.
    Any change would make me quit
  • Options
    theHejiN wrote: »
    Day 1: register for TW
    Day 2: set **** defense (that meets the requirements, aka 6k power/toon)
    Day 3: battle with your best toons for a tie

Get rewards, done with minimal effort whatsoever.
    I like it.
    Any change would make me quit

You will get platoons. Essentially a promise. Platoons will likely also help to break ties....
    What we want is a single banner for each defense win to break ties... we will not get this.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Need Help: I like the TW as well. Except something happens that our guild can’t figure out. We had 23/23 Defense x 10 sections@ 20banners each set before the start. So that’s 4,600. We beat all of their 23/23 teams x 10 sections at 10 banners. So that’s 2,300. Then for each of the sections that you beat, you get the bonus banners which total up to 8,150. That equals 15,050 banners. Yet is shows our guild only registering 15,040. Any ideas of what may have occurred? Because we have gone over this for the last few hours.
  • Options
    Josiris wrote: »
    Need Help: I like the TW as well. Except something happens that our guild can’t figure out. We had 23/23 Defense x 10 sections@ 20banners each set before the start. So that’s 4,600. We beat all of their 23/23 teams x 10 sections at 10 banners. So that’s 2,300. Then for each of the sections that you beat, you get the bonus banners which total up to 8,150. That equals 15,050 banners. Yet is shows our guild only registering 15,040. Any ideas of what may have occurred? Because we have gone over this for the last few hours.

It's a bug - one that's NOT being addressed.

It's already been asked if CG can include the number of win/losses that resulted in a 10 banner difference and add it to their 5%.................................
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Josiris wrote: »

Seems like one of the "features". The salt in the soup to make you like it even more.
  • Options
    There is a 'glitch' that happens when a player wins the match right as the timer runs out and they see 'draw' instead of 'victory'.. the team is then gone and no banners are awarded.. I know because we lost our first match due to this 'glitch'..
  • Calbion
    140 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Another brilliant example of rushed content that is largely untested. We just lost due to the point score bug. Quite disheartening as we had cleared the board in a very short time. It’s such a simple bug to prevent by being a bit more savy with how you code things...
  • Options
    I think I along with a lot of other people just dismissed all your points because you said that the enemy guild had more gp than you. I don't think I need to even explain the answer or even say it
  • Options
    Yeah I disagree. They probably didn't have all their menbers sign up and there has been a lot of diverse teams used in TW and I don't understand the complaints, try offering a better alternative
  • Options
    I absolutly LOVE TW! While it may not be a home run it's easily a stand-up triple.

A swinging bunt with a throwing error by the third baseman allowing the runner to advance to second at best.

Seriously though... Same issues as with the tourney. It has potential but I don't like the current format. My opinion.

Good answer! Good answer!
  • Grizz331
    55 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We have faced guilds with comparable power and tied for second. Thus have received the same rewards as you for fighting an overpowered guild.

My rant is that once your opponent destroys all your defenses, there is literally no reward-based incentive to continue fighting. If you curl up and quit or fight on to destroy their stuff you get exactly the same rewards.....a 2nd place tie.
  • Options
    Platoons will kill TW I guarantee it. Matchmaking needs fixed, there shouldn’t be huge differences between guilds. Also it should account for certain meta characters. If cls event would ever come back things would be easier. It’s going to get worse when new Rey comes. That will be two major characters I won’t have. So why even bother anymore.
  • Options
    In my opinion, Territory Wars is a pointless endeavor.

So we are stuck with a mode that occurs more often then the regular territory battles, yet the amount of currency we earn is laughable.

If they’re gonna slap a “Territory” tag on it; then it should be aligned more with the Battles that preceded it.

You’re putting in 3 days work to win a couple zeta stones.

I’m less than entertained by this event.