Ships need love

Overall I love the mode, still provides some really interesting battles and the new proper reward system is great.

That said, it's the mode left out in the cold, since guild activities (fair enough!) have taken all the spotlight.

What we need, and soon, before the ship arena becomes unbearably stale:

• Ships to be made farmable quicker, and easier.
When each new ship either needs a premium toon or 2/3 different ones, AND are hard to farm, the gate to trying new ships is enormous. Everyone in my top ten runs the same squad now bar one or two small variations because a) it's the only AVAILABLE meta and b) because it's so impossible to even try anything else really.

• Hardware abilities/upgrades
Whatever these are...be really good if they could come soon and be something more strategic than a static upgrade and/or a single ship mod slot.

• Farmable Ship omegas tied to an interesting challenge
Speak for itself. We've all got high gear pilots by now who can't add their last upgrade unless you've got ship omegas from buying packs.

• Ship PvE beyond a few territory battles.
New challenges? Training and currency are so redundant already given there's such a limited pool of ships to actually train and spend them on. Some kind of proper PvE progression that maybe give ship shards, just like hard battles, hell why not have 'normal' nodes too for a different loadout/source of toon gear.

new ships
Please. I know there are two new FO ones but...yeah see above. Only the most hardened whales will be shelling out for ships because they're risky and require investing so heavily in the pilot/s too.

• A SHIP RAID
We need a new raid SO BADLY in general. Why not make it a ship raid? It wouldn't be hard. Make it against a big ship with waves of fighters, taking out the shield generators etc, all the standard stuff. It'd tie in nicely with everyone having to invest more in ships recently for TW/TB and vindicate that investment more.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Options
    +1 for a new raid with ships and toons also
  • Options
    We really need a deathstar raid for the ships, it would add a lot more to the game and keep the Star Wars theme for ship battles.
  • Options
    I like your points but dread the idea of having another gameplay mechanic to farm - ship hardware. As a F2P guy that may spell doom for my relatively high fleet ranking and may mean lost crystals.

But a raid would be sweet. I'd love to see a combined ground-fleet raid, maybe the battle of Endor or something along those lines. Bonuses to Rebels (of course) and Ewoks on the ground vs. an AT-AT or two supported by stormtroopers, then Phase 2 or 3 could be in space with ships, and the final phase could be against Royal Guards and EP. It could be an excuse to rework ol' Palpy. It also passes the "nostalgia" test and could be a good build up to RotJ Luke.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    I like ship arena as it is still. Battles are fun.

I don't get the point though about wanting hardware / omegas that will make it more difficult to farm and build ships...but then having concerns about ships / pilots being hard / slow to farm and lack of availability. Would seem that adding criteria making ships more difficult to build and max out serves only to make the usage issue worse as only your built 'meta' ships will get the new materials.

Maybe new content is the way to go for you. Look at character arena. Characters have mods, omegas, purple mats, zetas, and hundreds of characters...yet it's as lame as could be in terms of people running the same squads...not much different from ship arena.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm happy if they ignore ships entirely. Don't like em, never did.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Ship Omega being farmable on top of anything
  • Options
    Moved to Feedback/Ships.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    i'm happy if they ignore ships entirely. Don't like em, never did.

Pretty much this is it for me too.

Unless they become more accessible and farmable in a place where they don't affect the main game (e.g. their own cantina or remove Zetas from ship store and put them somewhere else) and the power of the pilot plays a smaller role in the power of the ship, I'm fine with them being ignored.

• Options
    Yeah I see what you mean about hardware etc. I guess I'm assuming it won't be a gated thing, i.e. just like mods , or something separate, IDK, the main thing is having something else to do once you have the meta fleet and are just repeating the same battles in the same order endlessly.

A raid is the obvious solution. But @JohnnySteelAlpha I'm not hurting for things to do in the game in general (and I hate the main arena for same reasons as ships + many more), it's the fact that ground-toons can take part in so many different activities that at least there is incentive for deep roster etc etc. With ships it's like, meta-fleet + platoon requirements in TB which only exist to annoy you and force you to build ships you'll never use anywhere else apart from as a ringer in TW most likely.
  • Options
    A few simple things to better equalize the ship/fleet experience.
    Make the challenges open for three turns like the toon side of the game.
    Develop additional ships for existing pilots. JKA as an example could get any number of Jedi Starfighters. CLS could have Red-5. EP could have a shuttle. GG a ship ( he is not good for much else other that a platoon filler)
    Add a separatist capital ship to encourage genosian use.
    Do something with the “coming soon” droid function.
    Although you improved the rewards for fleet arena, they are no where on par as squad arena. Assume not only does one have to develop a craft but a pilot or crew member too to be competitive. Twice the effort, not even half the pay out. The crews needed are typically not in competitive meta squads.
  • Options
    I like your points but dread the idea of having another gameplay mechanic to farm - ship hardware.
    I think it could be real easy. Make Hardware something you buy with a type of currency earned from the Heroic Ship Raid. I'm assuming with this that Hardware is specific for each ship--so even though multiple ships have the same Hardware silhouette, each Hardware would do something different for that ship. The other alternative is that they're just like mods, and the different silhouettes just indicate what "type" of mod they'd be--in which case they should simply drop from the raid/heroic raid reward boxes.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I agree with all the points made by the OP. I would be extremely happy with a ship raid and additional modes to use my ship roster. The fact that ships only have the target lock mechanic instead of several additional buffs/debuffs unique to ship combat really hinders the design space. All in all they need to give us new ships, ship specific mods and additional legendary ship events like the Chimaera event. I'm sure everyone would lose their minds over JKA getting his Jedi Starfighter and Luke getting his X-Wing. Also, the fact that OG Han and Chewbacca don't have their own Millennium Falcon is simply criminal.
  • Options
    How can Farmboy not have a ship??? He blew up the first fricking Death Star!!! That should be the reward for a Death Star Raid.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Coach78 wrote: »
    How can Farmboy not have a ship??? He blew up the first fricking Death Star!!! That should be the reward for a Death Star Raid.

because he's a rebel... ea hates rebels.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Farming them is easy enough as it is, so I disagree there, but I would like to see some raids, more ships, and more capitals.