The New Cahracters in Star Wars - are they all misrepresented?

Boo
4134 posts Member
Okay - I am seeing TLJ on Thursday night (can't wait), but part of me still loves these theories that just keep springing up everywhere.

I always thought that (confirmed my G. Lucas) that the star wars story was about the skywalkers.

I originally thought Rey has to be a skywalker - beign seen as so powerful.

I thought Kylo/Ben was a student of his uncle Luke at the academy with his cousin...Rey.

Taken by the darkside by snoke, Kylo destroys the new jedi order but cannot do so to his cousin Rey - she is saved by a red saber (Rey's force vision in TFA) and is then dumped, presumed by all but Kylo as dead, on Jakku - which is why Kylo gets enraged about a girl helping the escape of BB8 from Jakku.

But - what about Rey's parents hinted at in BF2? what a terrible reveal - unless Rey herself is a red herring. She is not the hero - everything has been forced down our throats that she is the hero. Maybe they are not her parents - maybe she has unknown (yet) roots to the dark side.

Maybe the actual hero is a flip of the opposite side of the coin - Kylo. Perhaps Kylo is actually Luke's son and was Leia and Han's adoptive child?

Check out the video below - its interesting (skip past BF2 spoilers in the video towards the end - or just watch the whole thing.)

https://youtu.be/npEd8FItg8E

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Does every character have to be related by blood for the story to be about the skywalkers? Why can’t the characters and their legacies be defined by their actions, emotional relationships, and decisions? Does it really matter who Rey’s parents are as long as she defines herself as an individual?

Seems to me the importance of rey’s parentage has been blown out of proportion by audiences to the point where if its not some earth shattering reveal, it will be a disappointment (to other people, not me).

As long as TLJ introduces some incredible obstacle she can’t overcome without a personal journey of introspection, learning, and growth (no, im not just talking about learning how to use the force), I’ll be happy.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Also, why would Kylo be adopted? That would serve no purpose to anything
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I think Rey is born of the force like Anakin and that both were created by Snoke (possibly Darth Plageus?). We shall see this week. Personally I refuse to watch any media this weekend until I see the movie.

Doubt it. If TFA proved anything, its that the new films will have absolutely nothing from the prequels. Hence the focus on story rather than lore, lack of midichlorians, reusing same imagery and plot points from OT, etc
  • Options
    If we're talking insane theories, I really like Rey as Obi-Wan's granddaughter. But then I also like Finn as a Skywalker. Or actually Finn as Palpatine's like grandchild or something. But then I like fun theories. I think if Rey's parentage is going to be super important it'll probably be her either being a skywalker (either as luke's daughter or possibly han and leia's second child who everyone thought Kylo Ren and the Knights killed) or (much less likely) a Kenobi.