Possible Squad Arena Team

I've been playing for about 2 months now and I've just finished my phoenix squad. Unfortunately, they are struggling to stay in the top 50. I've been contemplating what squad I could replace them with until I am able to get some legendary characters to use instead. I'm already getting wedge from fleet for his ship and biggs is already at 6* so i was thinking of using them. I've also been farming Barriss out of Guild store since she has a great zeta and thought that to combine the 2 with her zeta would make them have a lot of healing potential. I am considering is Scarif Rebel Pathfinder and Princess Leia as my final 2.
My thought is that, since Biggs and Leia buff a lot, it will be harder to take out SRP, since any time he dies while buffed he self-revives which is awesome. Obviously, Wiggs is a great combo and Barriss (who would be my first zeta) can heal everyone and gain lots of turn meter. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I don't want to waste resources on characters just for one portion of the game. Will this group of characters be able to keep SRP buffed enough against most teams to keep him self-reviving?
So let me know what you think about this squad: Wedge L, Biggs, Barriss, Princess Leia and Scarif Rebel Pathfinder

Replies

• Options
    Viable.

You need to look at your shard and see who is top 50. At 85, top 100 are all CLS. There is a lone Thrawn, Krennic, Veers, DT, IST team that challenges the CLS dominators, but nothing else. 50-100 is Wiggs/Chaze/Leia or Boba and Sith. Beyond 100 is a mixed bag, but mainly Wiggs/Chaze/insert toon.

So join the cookie cutter crowd. Make sure you speed the tarp out then all and secondary speed as well.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Scarif Pathfinder, no. That's a character who looks good at first glance and he does okay on missions & events, but he doesn't enhance/supplement the team nearly enough to earn a place on an arena team.

Besides, Scarif's one & only good trick (repeated resurrection) can be countered by any character that kills him with a dispelling attack, or any character that inflicts buff immunity. And there are many who can do that.

Without going into a lot more detail about the mechanical differences between Scarif & other tanks, and why other options are better, let it suffice to say that he's been tested already by countless player and they rarely/never got better results with him than they would have gotten with the more popular Rebel tanks.

If you want to use Biggs & Wedge on an arena ladder that isn't already overrun by Darth Maul or Commander Luke & R2-D2, either look toward Stormtrooper Han (quick farm, mod him with highest speed stats possible) or Baze & Chirrut (very slow farm, they only operate well in tandem, mod Baze with health/prot and Chirrut with crit damage/speed).

Eventually you'll need to move on to a bigger & badder combo as these will inevitably be rendered obsolete in arena, just like Phoenix. But they can be viable for a while anyway.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to strategy section
  • Options
    What about Wiggs, Barriss, ST Han and Ezra (since i already have him g9) with wedge at lead?
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    wiggs sthan ezra and boba is good for early-on shard

Barriss will do since she cleanses one each on her turn, but you can find better options as your roster develops
  • Options
    Keep in mind: whatever your arena team is: try include these.
    1. Dispeller (the one that remove enemy's buff) Nihilus does it on Basic, Baze does it, Boba does it, CLS, Thrawn does it, Deathtrooper does it. You need a dispeller to remove taunt.
    2. Tank. tank has to soak up the damage. he needs to taunt. If he can't, at least get a character that does similar thing to taunt. Such as R2. He uses smoke screen and hides everybody but a tanky character, making a pseudo-taunt. Tanks that taunt at the beginning of encounter are superb. Old Ben zeta is awesome, because he taunts again after taunt being removed. So the enemy has to dispel twice. This zeta works against even thrawn's fracture.
    3. Cleanser. (One that remove ally's debuffs)
    When your shard is full of characters that apply powerful debuffs, you need cleanser.
    Rex, Chirrut, Ackbar, Thrawn, Fulcrum (On herself), Commander Luke (On himself), R2D2 (When he gets combat analysis zeta), General Kenobi, Barriss are eligible.

These three features are imo almost indispensable for any arena team.
    Below are some more features that helps.

1. Stun. Kylo, CLS, Han Solo, Thrawn (Practically a supreme stun), R2D2, Daka, Kylo Unmasked and many others
    2. Ability Block. Boba, Thrawn, New Rey, Old Ben and etc.
    3. Revive. Not very good. Zombie is good tho.
    4. Heal. Also not necessary but helps. Barriss Zeta is the best healer
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Try to maintain these three in your arena team, always.
    1. Dispeller (dispel enemy buffs) 2. Cleanser (cleanse ally debuffs) 3. Tank (taunt, or make others stealth except one tank)

With that perspective in mind, your team seems alright.
    Ezra dispels, Barriss cleanses, StHan tanks.
    However those three barely do their roles.
    So in time you should replace them with better ones.
    One suggestion is chirrut and baze. they do all 3 jobs. Tanking, Dispelling, and Cleansing. You could add R2 to assist Baze's tanking with smokescreen and number crunch zeta.

Some other eligible toons are Thrawn, Rex, Nihilus, CLS, Old Ben, General Kenobi, Jedi Rey&BB8&R2, etc. Obviously all OP but they do one or more roles really well.

Also in time you want to replace wiggs. They are squishy and as your shard develops, will become the weak link of your team.
  • Options
    Boba is also a cheap and very useful toon
  • Options
    As for zeta, reconsider giving Barriss your first ever zeta set. Surely her zeta is one of the greatest, but without a well developed General Kenobi, it is very easy to deal with her. Also, the new Rey team beats zarriss team so easily, that zarriss is quickly being vanished from the old shards.
    Consider R2's Number crunch, CLS's It binds all things, Han's Shoots first, R2's Combat Analysis as more prioritized abilities to invest in.
  • Options
    I agree with you on everything, the problem is that I'm looking for a something i can actually work on. I’ve considered farming chirrut since he’s in fleet, but baze is completely out of reach. I’m only level 72 so getting him even from hard battles is a long way off. I’ve been told chirrut isn’t worth having without baze. Is that true? I also agree r2 has great zetas. I just missed him this time around which sucks. Just not enough time to get a full 5* empire team around and keep up in squad. Obviously without r2 i won’t get cls either at least not for a while and i’m still quite far away from having the characters for him. Again i’ve only been playing for 2 months almost exactly now and I’m looking for a squad i can actually farm that will be viable for a few months till these legendary characters come back and I can add them to my collection. I’ve been considering getting jyn and cassian and possibly k2so (easy gw farm at 15 shards a day). Are those characters worth working on?
  • Options
    Is your phoenix already at g11? If no, I'd say continue with them. bring them up to g11.
    They are really good. I doubt that you get more viability from a wiggs team than from a phoenix team.

And dont forget to farm mods. They win the arena!
  • Options
    I suppose it is more a matter of being able to get some damage in. I sped up ezra and that has helped tremendously. The problem is he’s the only real source of damage and against teams that can stun/manipulate tm, i struggle to take anyone out. That’s one of the reasons I’m looking to change things up. I am working still on gearing ezra, but I’ve been told he’s the only one other than Sabine (who is a very slow farm) that is actually worth the effort to gear past g9. I’ve also tried to consider the gear redundancies in phoenix as kanan and zeb are nearly identical past g7 and those gear pieces mirror both ezra and hera at times. Basically, I’m working on getting a solid roster as well as continuing to place well in squad for the extra crystal. 50 crystal a day adds up in the long run. Would 5* Sabine as a replacement for 7* chopper be a viable solution to the damage problems?
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    WhiteGold wrote: »
    I agree with you on everything, the problem is that I'm looking for a something i can actually work on. I’ve considered farming chirrut since he’s in fleet, but baze is completely out of reach. I’m only level 72 so getting him even from hard battles is a long way off. I’ve been told chirrut isn’t worth having without baze. Is that true? I also agree r2 has great zetas. I just missed him this time around which sucks. Just not enough time to get a full 5* empire team around and keep up in squad. Obviously without r2 i won’t get cls either at least not for a while and i’m still quite far away from having the characters for him. Again i’ve only been playing for 2 months almost exactly now and I’m looking for a squad i can actually farm that will be viable for a few months till these legendary characters come back and I can add them to my collection. I’ve been considering getting jyn and cassian and possibly k2so (easy gw farm at 15 shards a day). Are those characters worth working on?

I fully understand you. Not being able to play the vital characters is one of the major frustrations for beginners. And I'm no expert I've played only for 4months now so I've been in your shoes until recently.

But there are characters that are easy to get and still viable. I'll answer to your questions one by one but these are just my opinions.

1. Is Chirrut not worth working on until Baze is unlocked?
    Well Yes, he is worth it even w/o Baze. I'd say him alone might not make a huge difference right away. If Chirrut is without Baze, it is much easier to target him. But still need big hitter or Healing immunity to take him out with ease. So he is still viable alone without Baze. He hits very hard. With the highest armor penetration in game and high dps, he is one of those most insane hitters, let alone being one of the greatest healers.
    So I suggest you could use Chirrut with Old Ben and Storm Han.
    With Old Ben and StHan double taunting, enemy will have tremendous difficulty to target chirrut, unless he has CLS or Boba. For Boba teams, it's either win or lose depending on Whether he can take out chirrut with one-shot(execute skill) or leave him at 1 health. If chirrut dies, he might have chance to win. If chirrut survives, he screwed. So Chirrut along with sufficient tankers does enhance your team's competency a lot. Invest in him right away. Even if you are not convinced, at least keep collecting his shard so you get him to 7 star before Baze comes.

2. Am I far from getting R2 and other legendaries?
    No. Might not be as far as you think.
    I started this game in August. I had no idea. I didn't even know the existence of this forum until late September or so. I've wasted a lot of resources on wrong toons such as luminara, sidious, kylo etc. (I'm not saying they are bad, there are just better options for beginners)
    But still, four months in, I got my 7* R2, 5* Solo, 106 shards of GK, 5* Palpatine(Will get him 7* when he returns), 5* Yoda, got some decent speed mods, cleared last tier of places of power, military might, and forest moon, do over 1.5 mil damage in heroic rancor, and most importantly, I am ready to get 7* CLS, which will return on 28th this month.
    It all took just 4 month to get on track, and if you do right things, you can do it faster.

Phoenix is a 1 month farm for those who do 3 cantina refreshes everyday. Currently working on them.
    Empire takes a bit but no longer than 2 months: I used Tarkin G10, TFP G9, Vader G9, RG G8, Storm G8.
    Check one of my thread 'R2 event without Palpatine' to see how I did it without Palp. But Palp will definitely help a lot. But never ever use Magmatrooper, even though it is very tempting to farm him.
    CLS toons take about 1 and a half months or so.
    Just set priority in each farming sources.
    I'll tell you.
    in squad arena shop: StHan, Tarkin, Kanan, Leia,
    in cantina shop: Boba, Chopper, Stormtrooper, Poe, FOO,
    in cantina nodes: Wedge, Ezra, TFP, Hera, Old Ben, Farmboy, Finn, Kylo, Vets
    in normal nodes: RG, FO stormtrooper,
    in GW: Biggs, Zeb, Phasma
    in fleet: Chirrut, Rex, Vader, Slave1/Vader Tie/Scimitar, FOTFP
    in Guild shop: Rex, Resistance trooper, Rey, (Jyn)

Again this is just my recommendation and there can be better options. But what I had in mind in setting the farm order priority was this. 1st. working on a decent arena & fleet squad. 2nd working on phoenix which i believe to come in February. 3rd working on R2 empire which is likely to come back 2 months later, and again 4months later just before cls. 4th working on cls journey which is likely to come next april imo. 5th working on Resistance, 6th working on FO, 7th working on Jedi rey journey.

So if you follow that order your arena would change like this in time.
    1.Wedge Biggs Boba Ezra StHan
    2.Wedge Biggs Boba Chirrut StHan
    3.Wedge Biggs Thrawn Chirrut OldBen
    4.Rex Thrawn Chirrut OldBen StHan
    5.Rex Thrawn Chirrut OldBen R2D2
    6.CLS or Jedi Rey team.

3. Jyn, Cassian, K2 worth it?
    Yes. But not in arena. They are worth in LS TB Rogue 1 missions. Jyn is also highly valuable in Rancor soloing, but CLS can solo it singlehandedly. Jyn is also used in HAAT P3 in Thrawn Lead, Tarkin, Krennic, Shore, Jyn team
    But that's a long way to go anyway.
  • Options
    PS please tag me with @Anakin_Skywalker
    So that I can notice easier when you reply
  • Options
    Insert Rex Chirrut Baze R2 Thrawn team in 5.5 between 5. Rex Thrawn Chirrut Old Ben R2D2 and 6. CLS team
  • Options
    @Anakin_Skywalker
    So I'm not really going to be following that list, mostly because I've currently solved my arena woes. My main question now is how long will it take before Sabine Wren is actually going to be viable for me in arena to replace my chopper, if ever? I'm able to dish out significant damage with Ezra as I've been able to mod him to 209 speed. Unfortunately against a Thrawn or anyone that can stun him first (If he doesn't go first) I can get screwed over. My currently problem again is not surviving damage but rather dealing it. I've just gotten Wren to 5* and she's my hard battles daily activities achievement.

She's currently the only hard battle I do daily. She's quite far behind the others in gear and abilities as there is no where else to get shards for her and it's a super slow grind for her. Once i have her geared up to their level, will she be viable before 6 or 7 stars? My thought is that with Ezra's watch and learn ability it gives her (as an attacker) 100% critical chance and I very well could take out a character right away with 1 turn (I've nearly done it with hera who doesn't do a ton of damage herself). My thinking is that she has the best zeta of all phoenix characters and, maybe I'm completely crazy, I think her zeta might be worth it especially to keep my phoenix/rebel squads viable in squad arena.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I tried a 4 star Sabine out the other day in arena (in place of a seven star chopper). During my climb I beat phoenix teams that normally stall me out and I lost to a non phoenix team I usually beat.

However I fell overnight outside top 20 while i usually stay top 10 in my arena. So chopper definitely holds better (although that could be the other players seeing a lower star as a target)
  • Options
    Sabine needs zeta