Mod farming - drop rates

Since I will be missing out on cls I've turned my attention to mod farming.

In about 80 refreshes so far, I've had about 4 speed secondaries drop. I was wondering if this is normal or just bad rng?
Worst part about those drops is that none of my speed rolled past 10 or even at all.

It's kind of demoralizing to waste energy which I could have used on character shards. I used 100 cantina energy this morning and just rolled white mods.

Do people recommend the mod packs or the mod store? Is there any other way to get decent mods? Do people know the average speed secondary drop rates and should I just pursue and hope to get better rng?

Appreciate any advice, thanks

(Apologies devs if this is the wrong section I've posted in)

Replies

• Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    You get more stuff drop besides mods from farming.
    Agreed that the mods that drop are horrible but in the long run it’s best to farm them instead of the packs.
  • TVF
    36620 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Normal from what I've seen. I recommend buying a few mods from the store with credits (and maybe crystals every once in a great while if you're sitting on a bunch) at least in order to have good speed arrows for your arena team...but every time I say that people call me an **** so what do I know?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Once upon a time the drop rate wasn’t even 100% for any mods at all so it could be worse lol. Now farming mods isn’t too bad sure you may not get great ones every time but at least it’s better than it was.
  • Options
    Not to mention with TW and TB I’m happy with even mediocre mods so I can field more teams.
  • Options
    Yeah there is a mod shortage for tw so even low speed secondaries are usefull now
  • Options
    I recommend NOT buying mods from the mod store. What usually happens is that you wait a week or two for a decent mod with speed secondary to show up, you fork out the 3.5 million credits or 3k crystals or whatever it is, you upgrade it and notice the speed hasn't been touched. To me, this is much more demoralizing and takes much longer than rolling the dice in the mod challenges. You probably have 4 more +10 speed secondaries than if you had waited for a decent mod to show up in the store.

When I farm a character in cantina, if I'd like to use it in some game mode, I'll just continually farm mods via the challenges until I have it at a place that is acceptable, then, I'll go back to farming another character.
  • Options
    I'll caveat and say that exclusively farming mods from the shop will absolutely not be faster than farming them from the challenges, but if you see a really good mod, it is probably not a bad idea to buy it, if you determine the cost is reasonable. Just don't expect the speed to upgrade the way you want it to and it will more than likely turn out to be a waste of credits or crystals.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Normal from what I've seen. I recommend buying a few mods from the store with credits (and maybe crystals every once in a great while if you're sitting on a bunch) at least in order to have good speed arrows for your arena team...but every time I say that people call me an **** so what do I know?

Nah, that's good advice. I just never get any good mods with credit costs, is all, so I've never bought one :p
    Startomsto wrote: »
    Yeah there is a mod shortage for tw so even low speed secondaries are usefull now
    You don't even need those. Just take all those mods you normally bulk sell once you're finished farming for the day and throw them on Mob Enforcer or whoever all else, then bump them to 15. Sure, speed would be ideal, but your get so much junk that you can drastically improve your roster's effectiveness right away. It'll cost a ton of credits, but what else are you going to spend them on? Leveling?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    4 out of 80 sounds a bit better than my luck recently.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Mod store... only credits and only if it has speed secondaries. And just be ready to be disappointed.

I have heard good things about the mod packs, but have not had any luck myself. So if you wanted to stop buying gear every 2 weeks and buy a mod pack it may not be the worst idea, but as always be ready to be disappointed.

Farming with energy is the "best free" way to go.