Explain matchmaking tiers in TW please

So your active GP is calculated by the number of 6k toons you have? So what is my guilds active gp? What are the tiers to determine who we are matched up against? Dp prize tiers correlate to matchmaking tiers?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    From my understanding and what we have seen in our matching and prizes is everything is based on the total GP of the players who sign up. Not just the toons you have over 6k.
  • Options
    Would be nice if somebody that's paid by EA/CG could answer the question.
  • Options
    Kyno did already answered your question lol .. just read the in game help sometimes...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    From my understanding and what we have seen in our matching and prizes is everything is based on the total GP of the players who sign up. Not just the toons you have over 6k.

Sucks for the little guys. I have 220k galactic power. I have 6 characters above 6k power that I can use.
  • Options
    So if I have 100 toons at gp 5000 each my gp is 500,000.
    If my guild has 50 members all at the same situation I'm at ..my guild has a gp of 25,000,000 (500,000 ×50). In territory war we would face anither guild at an equivalent gp......even though we couldn't even use one toon?
    Makes no sense to me...should be usable gp (toons over 6000)
  • Options
    There's really no explanation, your guild has an exploded amount of gp due to tb and your guild will be matched against a true representation of said gp. Thus no amount of heavy defense will matter because the other guild that the game has "fairly" matched you against has a deeper bench than yours. Therefore you have lost before the first defensive squad has been placed.
  • Options
    Or so my guilds first 4 wars have seen to have proven. Yay, this game mode is awesome. Let us lose every 3 days and get a zeta for nothing. Thanks ea you're the best
  • Options
    Now we're a """"""""fighting"""""""" (almost trying) against a guild with +500k PG per user.

We have put the worst of the worst on defense and try to win all we can on offense but this is 9 CLS vs. 33 CLS, 1 Zarriss vs. 26 Zarris, 4 TJR vs. 14 TJR.

Don't even stand a chance, great job EA.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    IlkhanHo wrote: »
    Now we're a """"""""fighting"""""""" (almost trying) against a guild with +500k PG per user.

We have put the worst of the worst on defense and try to win all we can on offense but this is 9 CLS vs. 33 CLS, 1 Zarriss vs. 26 Zarris, 4 TJR vs. 14 TJR.

If you only put the worst teams on defense you have no hope of winning because the other side will easily beat them and the best you can do is draw, which is the same as losing.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

If you only put the worst teams on defense you have no hope of winning because the other side will easily beat them and the best you can do is draw, which is the same as losing.

Yeah we know, but we bet on a tie, cause know that it's imposible to put a team that hold on on defense and beat them on offense. In one of the front territories they got more GXII than us on the entire guild. That's not fair, everybody can see it.

• Options

I'm guessing your going off .gg info for the opposing guild. Most of the matchups I've seen so far have been pretty even. Usually within a million GP.

Well, 500K more GP per player would be a 25M GP difference at the guild level. So the only way you would get matched up is if fewer players registered.

You can tell when this happens bc the number of D squads you can place is, take whoever guild had fewer people register and divide the number of players who registered by 2. So if 40 register for Guild A and 50 for guild B you can place 20 defense squads per territory.

In that case, you should have a decent numbers advantage over the other guild.

iN Spectre
  • Options
    My guild has had similar problems. We have been matched up with guilds that have substantial more gp than our guild. We are a 78 million guild and were matched up with a 93 million guild. In the past, we have also been matched up with guilds that had 8 or 9 million gp more than us.

This is brutal. With the guild that has 15 million more gp, we do not even stand a chance. I hope EA rectifies this issue.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    We've been matched up with guilds 10-15m GP higher than us and we haven't lost yet. The total GP doesn't matter, it's the active signed up GP that matters.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    This is why guild organization and coordination is KEY. Active GP affects matching, yes, but we have been matched against seemingly stronger opponents but they did not seem to follow a strategy on defense or offense and were wiped out. The ones playing TW in our guild are our most active, use chat and outside apps, and follow our plan. So far we have won all our matches.
  • Options
    Merlando wrote: »
    My guild has had similar problems. We have been matched up with guilds that have substantial more gp than our guild. We are a 78 million guild and were matched up with a 93 million guild. In the past, we have also been matched up with guilds that had 8 or 9 million gp more than us.

This is brutal. With the guild that has 15 million more gp, we do not even stand a chance. I hope EA rectifies this issue.

No, you need to understand matchmaking.

Unless you were getting to deploy half their total guild roster in each area you KNOW they did not all sign up. Our guild GP is about 50m, only 36 signed up, our active GP was 41m, it allowed 18 deploys on each area so was based on us (unless they had same number participate). Depending on how many you can deploy you may be able to figure out how many did (if it is based on you or them).

Looking up guild and going "ooh, not fair, they are 10m higher" means nothing unless you can see they are all participating.
  • Options
    Naraic wrote: »

Sucks for the little guys. I have 220k galactic power. I have 6 characters above 6k power that I can use.

You might be spreading your resources too widely. In terms of TW, it’s best to focus on a few toons rather than many. In terms of other parts of the game.. well you need more toons. Not sure how this all plays out for the newer players, but the good news is all the newer players are in the same boat as you. So how you navigate will determine if you do better than the others
  • Options

This was my understanding too. It makes a certain amount of sense, but CG has put players and guilds in a weird situation with this way of matchmaking: To get the best advantage in Territory Battles, pump up the power of every toon you have, including those low level/star/gear ones. To get the best advantage in Territory Wars, have as little power as possible on anything under 6k. 5k toons are great for TB; 5k toons are detrimental for TW.
  • Options
    thomssi wrote: »

Unless you were getting to deploy half their total guild roster in each area you KNOW they did not all sign up. Our guild GP is about 50m, only 36 signed up, our active GP was 41m, it allowed 18 deploys on each area so was based on us (unless they had same number participate). Depending on how many you can deploy you may be able to figure out how many did (if it is based on you or them).

Looking up guild and going "ooh, not fair, they are 10m higher" means nothing unless you can see they are all participating.

No, you need to understand my post.

If a 78m guild faces a 93m guild which only had 80% sign up, those players will still be much further ahead even if the final GP equals out to the same. They'll be able to put in a lot more 80k-90k defensives sides while the smaller guild will only be able to put mostly 70-75k teams without damaging their offensive capabilities too much. This is what happened in the example I referred to above.

Guilds can (and probably are) exploiting this. Purposefully benching 10 members for tw, which should guarantee a win, unless they face another team that purposefully benches 10 members.

Matchmaking needs to factor in the overall GP strength of non-active players too - in addition to the gp of those players that signed up.
  • Options
    gufu21 wrote: »

This was my understanding too. It makes a certain amount of sense, but CG has put players and guilds in a weird situation with this way of matchmaking: To get the best advantage in Territory Battles, pump up the power of every toon you have, including those low level/star/gear ones. To get the best advantage in Territory Wars, have as little power as possible on anything under 6k. 5k toons are great for TB; 5k toons are detrimental for TW.

It's probably a negligible effect at the top, but it would be interesting to take them out, since it's meaningfull lower down.

If say, a player has 50 5K toons that's 250K gp. Across a 50 player guild that's 12.5M GP. Which is alot in a 70-80M guild.

Not sure dropping members is actually an advantage.

1)It drops the number of d squads you can put per zone.
    2)It drops the number of meta toons you have. If you lose 10 people you lose 10 CLS/GAT/etc.

iN Spectre
  • Options

If a 78m guild faces a 93m guild which only had 80% sign up, those players will still be much further ahead even if the final GP equals out to the same. They'll be able to put in a lot more 80k-90k defensives sides while the smaller guild will only be able to put mostly 70-75k teams without damaging their offensive capabilities too much. This is what happened in the example I referred to above.

Guilds can (and probably are) exploiting this. Purposefully benching 10 members for tw, which should guarantee a win, unless they face another team that purposefully benches 10 members.

Matchmaking needs to factor in the overall GP strength of non-active players too - in addition to the gp of those players that signed up.

That depends. the guild may have higher GP because of a number of things, more members of similar levels, same but stronger members (probably a combination of strength and depth).

Assuming two full guilds then the stronger one fielding 80% to get similar active GP will likely have both deeper and stronger rosters but the effect would probably be less teams overall in TW but those they do have are a bit stronger. Is that an advantage or not? I would say it is an advantage on normal nodes and a disadvantage on fleet where nobody has a massive load of spare depth.

Nevertheless, your post I quoted said nothing about this, it was merely another "their guild has more GP than ours" which comes out constantly and ignores the fact not everyone participates and the numbers are not comparable. Fine if you understand this, many do not seem to. So GP is 20m higher but why do you think there are only 15 squads per area when you have 50 participants seems to pass people by. FWIW I do think a smaller number of participants with stronger rosters is an advantage and the matchmaking is probably too simplistic but complaints should focus on this not just "they have much higher GP".
  • Options

I understood your post fine, you said nothing about this, just complained about GP mismatch, pretty much same as the massive pile of similar complaints.

I agree the matchmaking is simplistic but if you want to say that then say so not a direct GP comparison where it is highly likely one guild is not fully participating. You may get this, many others do not seem to, quite surprising they don't notice they are only deploying 15 units per area against the much stronger team really.

I do think the slightly smaller but stronger guild has an advantage, at least in normal areas but possibly not in fleets where people don't have tons of excess depth.

Anyway, I don't think it should include non-active members. Some may be gaming this, I doubt most are. Hardly going to keep people happy who want the rewards but told to sit out. I do think they should match on more than just active GP and try and have number of participants at least as well.
  • Options
    My guild had like 95k and a 105k guild tried to bench a few people and come down to our level. We wrecked em.
  • Options
    I'm not sure benching a few people is really a useful strategy.

1)You get reduced defense teams so it makes a tie more likely

2)Less "Meta" toons, like CLS, etc.

I'm not sure it's really helpful.
    iN Spectre