Should Counter Buffs Be Cleansers?

With all the new characters and reworks there's a TON of buffs and debuffs going on. With only of a few of them being unique. So this brings the question, should debuffs be able to cleanse specific buffs?

Let's take the debuff "Buff Immunity" for example. When you have 1 or more buff this debuff keeps your from being able to get more buffs. But if it's a buff immunity, then shouldn't it remove any buffs that character already has since the debuff is supposed to make them immune to them?

Another one is evasion up. If you're using Sith Assassin his basic inflicts Evasion Down. Some characters such as Luminara, will gain Evasion Up from her basic. When you pit these two against each other you will often see both the Evasion Up buff and the Evasion Down debuff on her. It should just remove the buff until she either regains the buff or Sith Assassin reapplies the debuff.

My final example is Health Up and Health Down. As well all know Clone Wars Chewie as the ability to do a health up buff, which increase his max health. However, when pitted against General Grevious he can be hit with Health Down. This is another time that both Health Up and Health Down are shown on one character and again should be removed until one of the character reapplies it.

The only down side I can see having them cancel each other out is when you're using someone like Bobba who is dependent upon enemy characters having both buff and debuffs to do massive damage. But other than that, I personally think that if there is a counter buff placed on a character that has a buff, then it should just be cleansed from them.
#ReworkCaptialGamesPeopleSkills #StopIgnoringUsCG #CGCustomerSkillsWeakerThanAnakinsPowerAgainstTheHighGround

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to better sub forum.
  • Options
    Buff immunity makes you immune to gaining buffs, not to ones you already have, so no it shouldn't remove anything. CLS has a special attack that says it dispels, and adds buff immunity. Those are two separate functions, they are meant to be such, and I don't see a need to alter that mechanic.

As for the others, no adding a buff/debuff shouldn't dispel/cleanse its opposite. It already negates it while it's there. If you have health up for two turns, then acquiring health down for one turn effectively negates it for one turn, then when health down wears off you get the benefits of your buff for one turn. It makes the length of buffs/debuffs matter.

There is nothing wrong with what you're suggesting, but I personally don't see a need for it. There isn't anything wrong with how those mechanics function already. There could be some unintended consequences of monkeying with something that isn't broken to fix a non-problem.
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    As for the others, no adding a buff/debuff shouldn't dispel/cleanse its opposite. It already negates it while it's there. If you have health up for two turns, then acquiring health down for one turn effectively negates it for one turn, then when health down wears off you get the benefits of your buff for one turn. It makes the length of buffs/debuffs matter.

This is the biggest reason not to go along with what the OP has proposed in my opinion.

Rex gives Tenacity up for 3 turns. Most people that inflict tenacity down do not do so for 3 turns. I am finding that debuffs in general seem to last one turn less than their opposite buffs, which makes the turn difference almost always relevant.
  • ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

This is the biggest reason not to go along with what the OP has proposed in my opinion.

Rex gives Tenacity up for 3 turns. Most people that inflict tenacity down do not do so for 3 turns. I am finding that debuffs in general seem to last one turn less than their opposite buffs, which makes the turn difference almost always relevant.

It could work just like stealth and taunt. Once taunt wares off stealth is back for remainder of it's time. I honestly don't care either way. But there is already a similar situation in the game.
    Nevermind didn't understand what he was saying at first.