Hero's Journey: RotJ Luke

Kevern_Zaksor
894 posts Member
edited December 2017
In the spirit of trying to plan ahead, I'd like to get a discussion going about possible requirements for the most iconic Luke of the Original Trilogy (OT), Return of the Jedi Luke- also known as Green Lightsaber Luke, Black Outfit Luke and Jedi Luke. I want to make this as exhaustive as possible, taking into account the previous Hero's Journey events (CLS and RJT at the time of this writing), the business angle of the developers, the actual lore of Star Wars, and even potential unreleased characters.

Mods- if this doesn't belong here please move it wherever you see fit, but since the title of this subforum is Hero's Journey: Luke, Rey and this pertains to a future Luke Hero's Journey, I figured this was the best place.

The following paragraphs summarize my thinking. I've numbered them for easy reference.

captain-kirk-thumbs-up.png

1. Characters required will be from the film prior to the one in which this stage of Hero appears. For CLS we needed ANH characters; for Rey we needed TFA characters. Therefore for RotJ Luke we will need The Empire Strikes Back characters.

I compiled a list of every toon in SW: GoH who has even the most remote connection to the OT and came up with 48 toons. This list included Jawas, Ewoks and generic characters. I'll spare everyone the complete list. I then narrowed it down to toons appearing in ESB and that cut the number to 25:
Han Solo (Raid), Emperor Palpatine, Boba Fett, R2, Darth Vader, Wedge, Lando, Princess Leia, Commander Luke Skywalker, Hermit Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben), TIE Fighter Pilot, Snowtrooper, IG-88, Hoth Rebel Scout, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Captain Han Solo, Lobot, General Veers, Rebel Officer Leia Organa, Stormtrooper, Ugnaught, Dengar, Wampa and Imperial Probe Droid.

2. Characters required will be the most instrumental "light side" characters to affect the story of the Hero in question. This rules out generic (unnamed) toons, "dark side" toons and ancillary characters like Lobot. This significantly narrows the possibilities. The previous version of the Hero in question will be required (I.E. CLS required Farmboy Luke, Rey required Scavenger Rey). A "mentor" type character will be needed, as well as a droid.

CLS --- RJT --- Jedi Luke
Farmboy Luke --- Scavenger Rey --- CLS
Old Ben --- Veteran Smuggler Han --- Hermit Yoda
Stormtrooper Han --- Veteran Smuggler Chewie --- Captain Han Solo
Princess Leia --- Finn --- Rebel Officer Leia Organa
R2-D2 --- BB-8 --- ???

3. There will be a way for you to purchase the required characters. We all have seen the packs for the Veterans, the ANH characters and the Empire characters (to acquire R2-D2). This is where things get interesting and is the primary reason I made this thread, along with thoughts for who the 5th character might be (in place of R2/BB-8). The obvious choices for RotJ Luke requirements listed above are not characters you can just purchase (with the exception of CHS in the form of crystal refreshes, but most should have him maxed by the time this event rolls around). Hermit Yoda is a slow, slow farm that can't be purchased. ROLO is faster. But for people who procrastinate on Hermit Yoda how will EA/CG capitalize on that? They won't bother purchasing the 5th toon or paying to refresh CHS's node if they have no shot of getting Yoda. I propose that if Hermit Yoda ends up available for purchase this game will have officially jumped the shark.

4. The money aspect makes me think the 5th toon will be a new character. But who's left? C-3P0? Does he have a bigger part to play than, say, Old Ben (even though he's dead in ESB)? No, certainly not, but he is in the medical frigate with Luke, Leia and R2 at the end of the film. Or will we get Ghost Old Ben as a new character? That would seem kind of forced. Lando? Not really; he and Luke don't interact in the film and everyone already has him at 7 stars anyway. Chewbacca (Original Trilogy)? Same issue as Lando, he and Luke don't interact much. Very few characters were instrumental in the development of ESB Luke (CLS).

5. TL;DR: Farm Hermit Yoda, CHS, and ROLO and hope for the best. Personally I'm also farming Lobot to 7 stars, the Hoth Bros, General Veers and eventually Wampa. But this has me very confused because without dipping into the Dark Side characters like Vader, I don't see who actually has an influence on ESB Luke (CLS) who isn't already in the game.

6. Maybe Jedi Luke will be aimed more towards the newer players, encouraging them to purchase packs to complete CLS/R2 and the older shards will all automatically get him (assuming they farmed Hermit Yoda). I don't know.

K6RMp.gif

(I apologize in advance for future edits. This is a huge post and I'm bound to change my mind about something)
The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
-Sun Tzu

Replies

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I think for ROTJ Luke Hero Event requirements will be:

* CLS
    * ROLO
    * Capt. Solo
    * Hoda
    * R2

I've never been wrong calling event requirements, so I'm farming these. The hardest of course will be ROLO as that is a guild effort with minimal chances to gain shards unless all 50 guild members have farmed Capt. Solo to gain her special missions for her shards.

I'm trying to get my guild on board with this, but so far only me and one other guild member have farmed Capt. Solo to do this mission.

But, I'm still left chasing after VS shards for the next Rey event - like a dog chasing its own tail, lol
  • Options
    hoda rolo....bahhhhh
  • Captain_Apollo
    423 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cls (obv)
    R2 - he's with luke in all stages of ESB except the final fight with vader so highly likely
    CHS - bit of a stretch but I guess he and cls could battle wampas early on
    HODA - pretty big role in ESB so I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the cut

My money for the remaining toons:
    Wedge
    And
    Unreleased Rogue Squadron member

Luke has minimal interaction with leia outside of the incest kiss. So fitting her or Han into battle of Hoth sequences with luke would be breaking heavily with the source material. On top of that it would be adding two toons that aren't farmable through traditional formats. They'd be pushing it if they release ROLO and HODA packs but there's no way they will miss out on selling a pack of shards to people who are just a few shy of what they need.

Plus if they add Hobbie or something they can pull a stunt like with the Vets for the Rey hero journey. And I for one think it would be cool if they created a Red/Rogue Squadron faction like the way we have phoenix squadron.
  • Options
    Lobot? Come on that is a terrible idea, it was a good post until l read that
  • Options
    Oh, I think a Team of Lando, Uggy, and Lobot is QUITE possible for one of the parts. All 7* of course. Choose not to star them at your own risk.

As for new toons - and I assume there will be - C3P0 seems obvious. Development or not, he's been asked for and will almost certainly be required.
    Rebel OG Chewie is another. We don't have.

As for something to throw off the discussion. I do think we might have to get a Pilot Luke and his x-wing at some point, that's well within the realm of possibility. Needing both CLS and Pilot Luke for different missions, OG Chewie and Solo for another. C3PO has to get blown up.

And, who's to say, maybe we need carbonite Han too.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    C3po seems quite the droid required for ROTJ Luke.
    And we will need five 7* ewoks to get him, with Wicket of course...
  • Options
    but what will c3po do in game
    he has no combat/heal/repair capability at all. he is a translater that whines too much.
  • Options
    There's one problem with Hermit Yoda: He never fights anyone with Luke
  • Options
    There's one problem with Hermit Yoda: He never fights anyone with Luke

Maybe they recreate the cave on Degobah and you fight Vader with CLS while Hermit Yoda is also there healing? I dunno.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Calastar
    304 posts Member
    Options
    I am working on his Hero's Journey and will post it soon. Also working on his kit. May not be in game.

Required Characters:
    CLS
    Han Solo
    Princess Leia
    R2-D2
    Darth Vader
    Chewbacca (OT)
    Millennium Falcon (OT)
    I make character kits! Ask me and I will try my best to make one for fun.
This discussion has been closed.