Cannot complete a Galactic War

Prev1
Complete one, heck most times lately I am not able to get past the 6-9 node. I stopped playing for about a year because the GW had made me dislike playing the game. It has almost gotten to the point where I am thinking about stopping playing again. I thought the GW had been nerfed to make it easier. This apparently is a lie because I am constantly having my best teams killed off and cannot even get 3-4 nodes from finishing a GW.

Replies

• Options
    I feel the same way. I'm averaging about node 5 or 6. I've not been close to completing it since the update which utterly broke it. It just means it takes 2 days before I can get 400 green to buy anything. It's slowed the progression down to a crawl.

I hope they fix it in the new year.
  • Options
    Are you using retreat and suicide squads? That helped me a lot in the beginning. These days I use three teams and use the best one (arena team) for the last 2/3 nodes. I haven't had an issue for months.
    “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
  • Options
    Yes. I put out cannon fodder then my main team which gets wiped out with a squad 3-5 levels above me. By the time I hit 6 I'm so weakened it's a joke.

Yesterday I faced Fete alone after killing everyone else and he took out every toon I had. It was node 6. I could see the point if it was 12 and the effort was being rewarded.

GW is broken.
  • Options
    Please link your swgoh.gg account. I am curious to see what teams you have if you are having this kind of trouble..
  • Options
    I used to class node 8 as success, 10 an occasional bonus.

Since the nerf I now nearly always get past node 10 and have actually completed it 4 times.

Still get the occasional 'crazy' team on node 6 but that is getting rarer nowadays.
  • Options
    image.png

Unless of course you're new to the game, but GW is super easy now.

It USED to be uber ridiculous where it was actually hard to impossible to complete, depenind on the RNG of the teams you faced.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    JCGray wrote: »
    I thought the GW had been nerfed to make it easier. This apparently is a lie because I am constantly having my best teams killed off and cannot even get 3-4 nodes from finishing a GW.

It was severely nerfed for those who have been level 85 for quite a while. For those who are still leveling or don't have multiple strong teams or the right teams to handle GW, it's still a challenge, and according to some, more of one than it was before.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Liath wrote: »
    I thought the GW had been nerfed to make it easier. This apparently is a lie because I am constantly having my best teams killed off and cannot even get 3-4 nodes from finishing a GW.

It was severely nerfed for those who have been level 85 for quite a while. For those who are still leveling or don't have multiple strong teams or the right teams to handle GW, it's still a challenge, and according to some, more of one than it was before.

If you start Phoenix it can bring you ticker to tape for 95% of galactic wars you meet (I'm level 69 and I started in November I've failed to complete once, I've needed to dig in my roster for more than a eat special sacrifice three times including the time I failed to complete).

The thing is I have two taunters, get protection at the start of each fight and recover health and protection each turn from passives, I've also got two protection up abilities and two remove buffs.

Node 6 is usually tough but I can use node 7 to heal and recover protection and walk on. I imagine many other teams get wiped by node 7 after losing health on node 6.

How many easily accessible early game teams can do galactic war like this? I suspect not many but once you have the right team you can cruise through it.

Also my backup team is my empire team and I'm Palpatine and Thrawn ready to add some good strength to the backups.
  • Options
    ubefuct wrote: »
    Trick is use a secondary team to carry thru first lvls to save you shielding on your best. When you reach one secondary cannot take, send in the main team. If one dies in you're main team retreat, and try again but send in a sacrifice team first. That way they'll all have to wait for skills to cooldown.

I have tried that tactic before and it has not helped me. Usually by node 5 I have to bring in my only team above level 80 and they get killed either node 6 or 7 and then I am screwed.
  • Options
    Are you using retreat and suicide squads? That helped me a lot in the beginning. These days I use three teams and use the best one (arena team) for the last 2/3 nodes. I haven't had an issue for months.

I have not been using retreat. Never been a back down kind of guy. May have to try that. Part of the problem is it seems like I am always going up against tougher squads than what I have.
  • Options
    ubefuct wrote: »
    Don't think it is broken, just requires strategy. Multiple teams,retreating and sacrifices = win. I use phoenix team (protection regens) for most of beginning, if they are taking a beating I'll retreat and send in main team (arena[in my case rebels]) for quick win then continue with secondary team(phoenix). Use **** characters to avoid massive firstwave attacks on main team. I.e. the sacrifice, they should die instantly and can be crucial for the victory overall. The idea is to get to latest stage possible with as much protection possible on your main team. For last stage I usually sacrifice secondary team. Keep in mind the order in which you kill in each battle makes a huge difference. Also youtube is your friend

I only have one team over level 80. My Phoenix Squad is only 4 stars and level 55. I just got Chopper 2 weeks ago. There is so much to work on since I came back and getting the credits for it is not easy.
  • Options
    Naraic wrote: »

If you start Phoenix it can bring you ticker to tape for 95% of galactic wars you meet (I'm level 69 and I started in November I've failed to complete once, I've needed to dig in my roster for more than a eat special sacrifice three times including the time I failed to complete).

The thing is I have two taunters, get protection at the start of each fight and recover health and protection each turn from passives, I've also got two protection up abilities and two remove buffs.

Node 6 is usually tough but I can use node 7 to heal and recover protection and walk on. I imagine many other teams get wiped by node 7 after losing health on node 6.

How many easily accessible early game teams can do galactic war like this? I suspect not many but once you have the right team you can cruise through it.

Also my backup team is my empire team and I'm Palpatine and Thrawn ready to add some good strength to the backups.

That sounds great for you, but my Phoenix Squad is just 4* and level 55 and I just got Chopper 2 weeks ago. I do not have Palpatine or Thrawn. Trying to work on as many toons as I can, but not easy to get the credits I need. Credit Heist does not happen near enough to help level up, * up, and mod upgrade my toons. I just got in a guild that helps me and gives me advice. The guild I was in before I stopped playing gave me no advice. I can only do so much though. Been working on scoundrels because of Credit Heist.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That sounds great for you, but my Phoenix Squad is just 4* and level 55 and I just got Chopper 2 weeks ago. I do not have Palpatine or Thrawn. Trying to work on as many toons as I can, but not easy to get the credits I need. Credit Heist does not happen near enough to help level up, * up, and mod upgrade my toons. I just got in a guild that helps me and gives me advice. The guild I was in before I stopped playing gave me no advice. I can only do so much though. Been working on scoundrels because of Credit Heist.

If you don't have phoenix do you run healers. The old way of doing galactic war is lumi and Jedi Consular (maybe Bariss instead or too) in a team with two or three of your main arena team.

Do you have this set up?

Your working on scoundrels, are you failing to get max tier credit heists? That really limits you in levelling up your second and third squads which is handicapping you in credit heist.

From what I've heard if you don't have phoenix squad or a healer heavy squad you usually need two or three fully levelled teams. Work scoundrels get credits.

I guess there are three approaches

1. Phoenix
    2. Scoundrels do well in credit heists level 3 teams
    3. Healer heavy runs

If you don't do one of the above you have adopted the wrong strategy and cannot complete galactic wars.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I have not been using retreat. Never been a back down kind of guy. May have to try that. Part of the problem is it seems like I am always going up against tougher squads than what I have.

Retreat is not giving up. It's essential to doing well at GW early on. The RNG is set when you enter, so if you go back in with the same team and take the same actions, you will have the same result. If instead you change something (swap out a team member, use a basic when you previously used a special, etc.), you can change the RNG, which can make all the difference.
  • Options

If you don't have phoenix do you run healers. The old way of doing galactic war is lumi and Jedi Consular (maybe Bariss instead or too) in a team with two or three of your main arena team.

Do you have this set up?

Your working on scoundrels, are you failing to get max tier credit heists? That really limits you in levelling up your second and third squads which is handicapping you in credit heist.

From what I've heard if you don't have phoenix squad or a healer heavy squad you usually need two or three fully levelled teams. Work scoundrels get credits.

1. Phoenix
    3. Healer heavy runs

If you don't do one of the above you have adopted the wrong strategy and cannot complete galactic wars.

I am only getting one star on the 1.25 million tier of Credit Heist. My main squad (level 81-82) is Luminara, Jedi Consular, Count Dooku, Captain Phasma, and Darth Vader. That might change now that I got scavenger Rey to 7*. She is only level 75, but she has more power than Vader now. And I have Phoenix Squad but just not starred up enough or levelled up enough to do me any good. I need to work on them at some point. They seem to be a tough squad.
  • Options

Retreat is not giving up. It's essential to doing well at GW early on. The RNG is set when you enter, so if you go back in with the same team and take the same actions, you will have the same result. If instead you change something (swap out a team member, use a basic when you previously used a special, etc.), you can change the RNG, which can make all the difference.

What is RNG???
  • Options
    RNG stands for Random Number Generator and means "luck"
  • Options

Do you have this set up?

1. Phoenix
    3. Healer heavy runs

MT Nightsisters wrecks it too...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

What is RNG???

Random number generator. It's used to refer to anything in the game that is decided through use of a random number (like a die roll). That includes whether you get a shard/gear piece from a node, what secondary upgrades on a mod, or in the case of my post, anything that happens during a fight that you don't directly control - whether an attack misses, whether a debuff lands, who the opposing team member attacks, etc.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    I am only getting one star on the 1.25 million tier of Credit Heist. My main squad (level 81-82) is Luminara, Jedi Consular, Count Dooku, Captain Phasma, and Darth Vader. That might change now that I got scavenger Rey to 7*. She is only level 75, but she has more power than Vader now. And I have Phoenix Squad but just not starred up enough or levelled up enough to do me any good. I need to work on them at some point. They seem to be a tough squad.

So main squad doesn't work well together. Very little synergy. Scavenger Rey won't fist that merely add another faction that doesn't fit with anyone.

You need to think in terms of teams and synergy. How does these characters fit together to make a whole.

One thing I think might help you is deciding a kill order before every fight. You want tanks and healers left alive last in galactic war. They usually hit like a wet noodle so you can drag out the last bit of the fight heal a bit and get yourself ready for the next node.
  • Options
    Well I got to the 9th node tonight but that was the best I could do. Came up against a rebel squad with Palpatine that smashed my top 6 teams. Until I get more toons to the 80's it seems I am just stuck getting smashed.
  • Options
    Well I got to the 9th node tonight but that was the best I could do. Came up against a rebel squad with Palpatine that smashed my top 6 teams. Until I get more toons to the 80's it seems I am just stuck getting smashed.

I don't even get that far. On node 6 today I got every team killed. That was after throwing a sacrifice team in first.

I have no phonex toons. If that is a requirement to get anywhere why not just state that. How will it take to start now to even get to node 10 let alone 12?

For me GW is utterly broken. This is a feedback section of the forum. Please fix it for players sub 85. Go back to how it was.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Watp2018 wrote: »

I have no phonex toons. If that is a requirement to get anywhere why not just state that.

Because it's not. There are a number of options. Teams with protection recovery work. zFinn Resistance works because you can prevent the other teams from ever getting turns. But you can't just throw any old combination of random characters and expect to win GW.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I don't even get that far. On node 6 today I got every team killed. That was after throwing a sacrifice team in first.

I have no phonex toons. If that is a requirement to get anywhere why not just state that. How will it take to start now to even get to node 10 let alone 12?

For me GW is utterly broken. This is a feedback section of the forum. Please fix it for players sub 85. Go back to how it was.

I'm giving feedback too. If you have a good team that's based on recovery it's incredibly easy.

Yes Node 6 is tough and it usually messes everyone up. You need to have a plan to heal. Maybe you need to retreat and try it again with a different strategy. Please answer them honestly at least to yourself.

I will ask the questions I ask to many people who complain about galactic wars.

Do you have a good team. Does it synergises well together and hit above its weight in terms of power.
    Do you have a way of recovering health and protection.
    Do you have a kill order for each node and leave weak characters last so as to give yourself time to recover health protection and cool downs.
    Do you have a second and third team of similar power to your first team. Do you give them easy nodes early in the galactic war so that they have turn meter.
  • Options

I'm giving feedback too. If you have a good team that's based on recovery it's incredibly easy.

Yes Node 6 is tough and it usually messes everyone up. You need to have a plan to heal. Maybe you need to retreat and try it again with a different strategy. Please answer them honestly at least to yourself.

I will ask the questions I ask to many people who complain about galactic wars.

Do you have a good team. Does it synergises well together and hit above its weight in terms of power.
    Do you have a way of recovering health and protection.
    Do you have a kill order for each node and leave weak characters last so as to give yourself time to recover health protection and cool downs.
    Do you have a second and third team of similar power to your first team. Do you give them easy nodes early in the galactic war so that they have turn meter.

I think my answer to most of that would be no. I only have 5 toons over level 80. I have 6 or maybe 7 that are between level 70-75. About a dozen maybe a dozen and a half that are 64-68. Most of them are in the mid 50's, except the 5 new toons I have gotten and they are 40-45. I have some healers. Do not know which toons gain protection other than Phoenix Squad. May have to try and level and star up Phoenix Squad ASAP.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I think my answer to most of that would be no. I only have 5 toons over level 80. I have 6 or maybe 7 that are between level 70-75. About a dozen maybe a dozen and a half that are 64-68.

One last question. Do you have enough levelled and geared scoundrels to reliably complete tier iv credit heist. From your levels I'm going to guess that you don't. The extra credits would really make a big difference in making your people competitive for galactic war.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you don't have the legendary characters - Thrawn, R2, BB8? I'm also guessing you don't have any zetas?

BTW, you seem very focused on level, but gear level is much more important in general than character level.
  • Options
    Earlier he indicated that phoenix was 4 stars. Doubtful he has Thrawn. And herein is the problem with GW. It's relatively easy once your roster is filled out nicely to select teams that have synergy against who you are facing.

But the reality of players leveling up to 85 now, or very soon, will have a tough time against opponents that are significantly stronger. Pre update, I was able to finish, but not very often. One overpowered team and I was done. Post update, I'm about 60% able to finish.
  • Options
    I think my answer to most of that would be no. I only have 5 toons over level 80. I have 6 or maybe 7 that are between level 70-75. About a dozen maybe a dozen and a half that are 64-68.

One last question. Do you have enough levelled and geared scoundrels to reliably complete tier iv credit heist. From your levels I'm going to guess that you don't. The extra credits would really make a big difference in making your people competitive for galactic war.

Not as of yet. I am doing tier 3 I believe. It is the one for 1.25 million credits. I am trying to 7*, level up, work on abilities, and gear up my scoundrels. Have gotten 2 of them over level 70 and the others to levels 64 to 66. All of them are now 5-6*, gear 7, and all of them have 5th level abilities. It may not seem like much but most of them were level 45-50, not starred up from when I got them (except Chewbacca), ability level 3, and gear level 4. I am trying to work on them as well as my strongest toons. Just trying to get back into learning the game and figure out what my best options are.
  • Options
    I'm guessing you don't have the legendary characters - Thrawn, R2, BB8? I'm also guessing you don't have any zetas?

BTW, you seem very focused on level, but gear level is much more important in general than character level.

No on both counts. Most of my 60 plus toons are gear level 7 and 8. My strongest toons are gear level 9 and 10.