Territory wars: After 6 weeks, like or not ?

Jefferx
361 posts Member
edited January 2018
We all do a couple of territory wars since it comes out on November 22. With each territory wars we do, people seems to just dislike the way it is now.
1. People setting multiple defense team to not have to do the attack phase.
2. People participe just to get the reward.
3. Matchmaking seems to be unfair. When you are in the lower GP of a category you lose, when you are in the upper GP, you win.

The reason are quite simple:
1. Rewards VS time investment. It really not worth it.
2. Winning or losing, who cares because reward are so similar.

Solutions?
1. We definitively need to reduce the time we investing in territory wars. I think that you need to significantly increase the minimum GP to introduce a toon in territory wars. Increase 6000 to 15000. Having a toon that can be played in territory wars should be an accomplishment. It's not actually really interesting to make squad of 50000 GP.
2. Limit the number of squad we can bring in attack and defense.

Do you observe similar things ?

Replies

• matteblack1974
    4 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Love territory wars. Disagree about gp and winning. My guild is 4-1 (soon to be 5-1). Every one of our opponents has had higher gp. The difference was strategy. The guild that beat us genuinely out played us. It was still fun. This is the most thoughtful and interesting part of the game now.

I would like to see a bigger delta between the rewards for winning and losing and do think that could encourage participation.

But the request to change the minimum gp level is awful. Not everyone has tons of 15k plus characters. Also, it defeats the strategy part. Question is: how can you deploy your pawns to tease out the king? Raising the qualifying bar would just turn this into another meta battle like arenas. The current arrangement rewards planning and strategy, and that's much more interesting than the gameplay (let's face it, pressing buttons gets old after awhile).
  • Options
    After 6 weeks I still think TW is the most interesting mode in the game. We are 4-1 and have had the lower GP in every matchup so far. Participation is down quite a bit (though it’s a small sample, we’ve had fewer members participate every time so it’s not driving people to play).

I would like a function to see an overall battle report, what teams beat what teams and how many teams it took to beat a team, etc. other than that I’m pretty happy with it.

Your points are presumptive: winning does matter when youre not in the 60M GP range, Zetas is Zetas, and reducing the time period would only result in further lack of participation.
  • Options
    Your #2 point is that people participate just to get rewards...ummm isn’t that the whole point of literally every guild activity...to get rewards?

And as far as time, I feel like this is the least time consuming aspect of the game. I’m enjoying it so far
  • Options
    I could not disagree with the OP, more. We on on a high after 5/5 wins. We have built our success on the back of a strong defence.

TW 4 for instance was so close, we had ran out of steam on attack at the last 45 minutes, with the opponent still having 1 Fleet Sector (held on by a team with only 3 ships left) and 1 Ground Sector with 3 teams. We just could not clear it!

For that next 45 minutes we had to watch with baited breath, not only to see if our defence held out but to see if we could keep our 100% record. It was intense watching them chip away at our remaining squads. Would they break through? Would they find the surprise we had for them in the back ranks? Nothing in the game has held our attention more than that last few minutes into the TW, nothing has had us so excited and proud both as individuals and as a guild to see our 100% record intact.

Yes! it's a chore to get people invested into it, yes I still have to nag people to sign up, But for the majority of us in the guild TW has been incredibly fun and engaging.

I think a lot of guilds have the wrong mindset, they want to set their trash teams in defence and go all out flyboy in attack. We would all love to do that. However, if TW has taught us anything in our guild it is that the object is not to clear the opponents board but to make sure they do not clear yours!

Work could be done to improve the match making for sure. Yet the guilds need to take some responsibility for this as well. We are all guilty of artificially bloating our guilds GP to increase the chance of more stars in Territory Battles, it's easy to boost your characters to level 53 and gear 6 for that best GP/Credit cost. But that's not going to help you in TW, you need substance to your squads not just deploy and forget.
    I fight the good fight
  • Options
    I didn't want to make a new feedback thread, but our guild was matchmaker with a lower gp heroic haat raiding guild. We have 57k gp and they had 44.8k. We're a regular guild and the one we were facing was a side guild for all their elite members (meaning not all 50 slots were used). We have not been able to defeat one section of tw because their front end contains only exclusively meta teams that only the best in our guild have been able crack at. With previous re, we've at least had a fighting chance.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Love territory wars. Disagree about gp and winning. My guild is 4-1 (soon to be 5-1). Every one of our opponents has had higher gp. The difference was strategy. The guild that beat us genuinely out played us. It was still fun. This is the most thoughtful and interesting part of the game now.

Are you in my guild? Lol, we are in this exact situation.
    I would like to see a bigger delta between the rewards for winning and losing and do think that could encourage participation.

But the request to change the minimum gp level is awful. Not everyone has tons of 15k plus characters. Also, it defeats the strategy part. Question is: how can you deploy your pawns to tease out the king? Raising the qualifying bar would just turn this into another meta battle like arenas. The current arrangement rewards planning and strategy, and that's much more interesting than the gameplay (let's face it, pressing buttons gets old after awhile).

Agree with all of this.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Dreislao wrote: »
    We are all guilty of artificially bloating our guilds GP to increase the chance of more stars in Territory Battles, it's easy to boost your characters to level 53 and gear 6 for that best GP/Credit cost.
    There's no guilt in doing exactly what the design of TB implies that you're supposed to do. TB's reward structure measures your GP and gives you rewards based on that, so of course the correct thing to do is inflate your GP to get better rewards.

Heck, for that matter, TW more or less does the same thing by explicitly dividing reward tiers by GP.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    It’s awful and a timesuck
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • ripthestage
    153 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I think you are not right.

1) we have enough for defense and attack too and so far it was the same on the enemy side too.
    2) we participate because of the reward and because it's fun (more fun than TB, arena, GW, anything else in the game)
    3) I don't see it unfair. Last TW (the previous one days ago) we had 119m GP and beat 126m GP and they didn't even had chance, it wasn't even close (13710 vs 10560)

Sometimes I don't get a single zeta from challenges for a week, sometimes one per week. If you climb up every day to rank 1 in fleet you get a zeta almost every day. Here you get 3 or 2. I think it worth the effort.
    Jefferx wrote: »
    We all do a couple of territory wars since it comes out on November 22. With each territory wars we do, people seems to just dislike the way it is now.
    1. People setting multiple defense team to not have to do the attack phase.
    2. People participe just to get the reward.
    3. Matchmaking seems to be unfair. When you are in the lower GP of a category you lose, when you are in the upper GP, you win.

The reason are quite simple:
    1. Rewards VS time investment. It really not worth it.
    2. Winning or losing, who cares because reward are so similar.

Solutions?
    1. We definitively need to reduce the time we investing in territory wars. I think that you need to significantly increase the minimum GP to introduce a toon in territory wars. Increase 6000 to 15000. Having a toon that can be played in territory wars should be an accomplishment. It's not actually really interesting to make squad of 50000 GP.
    2. Limit the number of squad we can bring in attack and defense.

Do you observe similar things ?

• Options
    Thanks for all your comments. Since i post it, we were doing another TB and we were only 43/50 to participate. We were matched with a low activity guild that we easily clear the map. We probably should win, 4 hours left and they are half way to clear it. All 43 participate well and we focus some to defense only and some to attack only instead of just doing everybody put 4 squad and 1 fleet.

Maybe the real problem is matchmaking that need some tweaking....
  • harryheckDAX
    208 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Matchup destroys it (last 2), other than that it's ok.

It's become facing whale arena meta on the two first areas. When you manage to open one of them you've basicly run out of teams to make it any further.

If the first step of matchup was money spent, it probably would work more as intended. As it stands now there's basically no point going on the offensive for many guilds.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    I don't find TW to be fun at all. Setting up a smack talk chat with the other guild is/was the best part, and our last 2 spoke French and Russian (we don't). The one before that couldn't be reached or didn't want to be (not sure).
    I just go 95% defense and leave 2-3 teams for Offense and mop up duty. Plenty of others in my guild are ok with going the opposite, so that works ok. I'm not sure any of the 50 really enjoy TW. A few perhaps, but the discussion has been since we got the achievements, we don't really care if we win.

It's not worth the effort.
  • Options
    Been loving it, matchups have been fair were the underdog mostly. First match we didn't know what was going on and ended up tieing. And we've won the rest. Most matches were a real nail bitter. Except the one where they went full offence cause we had a better top end roster, they were playing for the tie but we set the defence real heavy. And personally I think tw should always be running with TB also running all the time at the same time
  • Options
    Hate it, worst mode on the game by far, it really brings out the worst in people and tensions run high throughout... Oh and it's a horrible time suck...
  • Options
    Been loving it, matchups have been fair were the underdog mostly. First match we didn't know what was going on and ended up tieing. And we've won the rest. Most matches were a real nail bitter. Except the one where they went full offence cause we had a better top end roster, they were playing for the tie but we set the defence real heavy. And personally I think tw should always be running with TB also running all the time at the same time

@Darth_cowboy gotta say, I like the way you think.
  • Options
    atm TW is the most exciting part of the game. I really, really like it. i find rewards also fairly decent. The best TW I played was actually a draw (not a everyone clears everything draw but a real one). Nailbiting to the end. Loved it!
  • Options
    I also think the rewards are more than fair. Its not like a week long TB or anything.