Do you really like them?

I read a lot of enthusiasm about territory wars. Really, how can you like this mode? You cannot fight them calmly with your whole guild, you just have to cut a slice of your members to get some tier down and win easily, but by doing this you have to keep some of your fellas out of the rewards. Otherwise, you'll always get guilds which have only whales joining the tw and which will kill you easily. Because of this, we still have to win one: we always get 80 million+ guilds which cut their participants and roast us with shoppers only (we're 50kk). No matter which or how many teams we deploy, they will always have better teams both in defense and in attack. Is this something well-rounded?

Replies

• Options
    I don't like TW. I find it boring and I'm not happy for the need to place on defence some of my best teams...
  • Options
    I see a lot of people complaining about how TW is boring or meaningless and how the rewards make it not worth the effort.
    Here is a little of my guild (The Cartel)'s experiance.

We on on a high after 5/5 wins. We have built our success on the back of a strong defence.

TW 4 for instance was so close, we had ran out of steam on attack at the last 45 minutes, with the opponent still having 1 Fleet Sector (held on by a team with only 3 ships left) and 1 Ground Sector with 3 teams. We just could not clear it!

For that next 45 minutes we had to watch with baited breath, not only to see if our defence held out but to see if we could keep our 100% record. It was intense watching them chip away at our remaining squads. Would they break through? Would they find the surprise we had for them in the back ranks?

Nothing in the game has held our attention more than that last few minutes into the TW, nothing has had us so excited and proud both as individuals and as a guild to see our 100% record intact.

Yes! it's a chore to get people invested into it, yes I still have to nag people to sign up, But for the majority of us in the guild TW has been incredibly fun and engaging.

I think a lot of guilds have the wrong mindset, they want to set their trash teams in defence and go all out flyboy in attack. We would all love to do that. However, if TW has taught us anything in our guild it is that the object is not to clear the opponents board but to make sure they do not clear yours!

Work could be done to improve the match making for sure. Yet the guilds need to take some responsibility for this as well. We are all guilty of artificially bloating our guilds GP to increase the chance of more stars in Territory Battles, it's easy to boost your characters to level 53 and gear 6 for that best GP/Credit cost. But that's not going to help you in TW, you need substance to your squads not just deploy and forget.
    I fight the good fight
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    The matchmaking based on GP has it's downsides, not just vs guilds that intentionally let players sit out TW. We're a mostly f2p/light spender guild with lots of members with inflated GP (wich is beneficial for TB). It's not doing us any favours matchmaking wise.
    Some guilds chose to use the matchmaking mechanics to their advantage, other guilds don't. It is what it is. Haven't seen a good alternative though.
    There's also no way of knowing if the enemy guild is intentionally leaving members out of TW, or some of them just forgot to sign up/are too busy to participate. This makes it kinda tricky to start throwing accusations around.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    We always deploy all the best defensive teams we have. No chaze remains undeployed, no Phoenix, no Old Bens, no st Hans and so on. We are f2p, so we don't have strong ns teams to put there. Results? Our defensive teams always get rekt and their defensive teams are always stronger than our attack teams. In a fair context, one of these two things shouldn't happen, even if one of the two guilds didn't play well. If we deployed weak defenses we should have strong attacks. If they deployed strong defenses, they should have weak attacks. Or at least everything should be balanced. In the reality we always deploy decent/strong well rounded defensive teams and keep strong attack teams but we end up having weak defenses and weak attacks against strong defenses and strong attacks. Do you see my point? Even by deploying random teams, there should be some balance in a good matchmaking.
  • Options
    As I mentioned in my post @Drazhar, the Matchmaking could very well be improved. However, what a lot of guilds did is boost their GP so they could get more stars in the Territory Battles. This is easy you level a character up to 53, gear 6 and bang! You have another star gained for minimal effort and the best credit/GP ratio. What people are not taking into consideration it that by doing that they have dug a hole for themselves in Territory Wars where they now find there GP is not truly representative of the squads they can put out.
    I fight the good fight
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Dreislao wrote: »
    As I mentioned in my post @Drazhar, the Matchmaking could very well be improved. However, what a lot of guilds did is boost their GP so they could get more stars in the Territory Battles. This is easy you level a character up to 53, gear 6 and bang! You have another star gained for minimal effort and the best credit/GP ratio. What people are not taking into consideration it that by doing that they have dug a hole for themselves in Territory Wars where they now find there GP is not truly representative of the squads they can put out.

A small side note, inflating GP was the way to go prior to the TW release. We had no way of knowing it would backfire later on like it so happened to do in TW.
    An argument could be made that only characters >6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in GW. I don't think it would make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things though.
    Only matching guilds with an equal amount of participants seems like a good idea, it won't fix everything, but can't see any downsides, haven't given it alot of thought though.
    Post edited by leef on
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    An argument could be made that only characters <6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in GW.

What?

I assume you mean "only characters >6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in TW."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    An argument could be made that only characters <6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in GW.

What?

I assume you mean "only characters >6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in TW."

O_o edited.
  • Options
    Dreislao wrote: »

A small side note, inflating GP was the way to go prior to the TW release. We had no way of knowing it would backfire later on like it so happened to do in TW.
    An argument could be made that only characters >6k power should be used for matchmaking, since those are the only characters you can actually use in GW. I don't think it would make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things though.
    Only matching guilds with an equal amount of participants seems like a good idea, it won't fix everything, but can't see any downsides, haven't given it alot of thought though.

Tend to agree. We know active GP is used in matchmaking but not if that is all. I would assume there is maybe something else (if nothing else to stop certain guilds repeatedly matching each other).

Matching on numbers and active GP shouldn't be too difficult and could solve a lot of issues.

The >6k only for active GP (is it definitely all GP of active participants - I don't know, will look next time) may make quite a big difference to smaller low GP guilds, bigger ones not so much.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

What?

O_o edited.

Ha maybe it would make GW challenging again by limiting it to characters under 6k. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    they have quickly become boring. We had 50 phoenix squads, 20 JTR, and I don't know how many General zarriss squads to battle. It is just boring. The rewards are terrible. The matchmaking is awful. TB at least has amazing rewards.
  • Options
    Tw. Worst mode in the game....