Help on Transition from Phoenix to Thrawn

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the whole forum thing but been reading a few threads on here and im looking for some help/advice. Ive just started in late December and ive been following the f2p guide as im a f2p player. So i currently have a phoenix team and I'm wanting to get Thrawn when the next event comes out so I'm wondering who should i start farming in order to transition into a team including thrawn once i unlock him. I current ranking anywhere between #150-50# depending on how active i am on the day. Any advice at all will be a great help. Thanks

below is a link to my account.

https://swgoh.gg/u/starwars2nd/collection/

Replies

• ManuG
    131 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As a f2p friend here, I would level up the whole phoenix squad to 7* but don´t overinvest in gear, only Ezra. Then move into a rebel team like Wedge (L) Biggs, STH, Leia and Ezra (he is rebel and you would have him good geared + 7* come on). Maybe since you have STH I would focus on Boba instead of Leia since STH and Leia are in the same store and it would be hard to farm both but it is up to you.

P.S: Nice rank btw and dont forget phoenix squad also gives you the opportunity to get EP :)
  • Zoj
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Congrats on the Phoenix squad. Did the same thing with my alt! My advice is to keep gearing Phoenix. You'll need a little bulk to unlock Thrawn.

As for using Thrawn once unlocked, I geared him up and used him in place of Chopper on my Phoenix squad in both Arena and GW. Pretty good results.

As for a future farm, I suggest Empire to unlock R2. You can use Phoenix to unlock Palp when he comes around again. Vader is a no-brainer. Build around Palp, Vader, and Thrawn.

TMR is useless on the final R2 tier, so heads up.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah would it be later into the game before i could use a viable thrawn team in the arena?

I have been focusing on Chopper in Cantina store and Kanan in Squad Arean Store so i was reluctant to farm anyone else there as i want to get the Phoenix to at least 6* before Thrawn.

I actually bought a promo to get Boba at 4* for €8 i think it was so maybe im not 100% f2p but i mainly wanted the 1000 crystals it gave too! :D

I have been reading alot about that Wiggs team and as much as it is probably the best thing to do i was hoping i could get a team that will fit around the Thrawn i get.

Im going by estimates and it should be Feb when the event is back. I know ill get at least a 5* maybe 6* but i think it might be too soon to get a 7* Thrawn next month.

Yeah i was hoping EP would be this month but it Yoda i think. But with that in mind i could have EP and Thrawn both at say 6* at least. Would you be able advice me on a team i could start farming now? Or is it best just to wait until i can farm the likes of DT, ShoreTrooper etc?

Again thanks for any help given. Appreciate it!
  • StarWars2nd
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks Zoj for the advice!
    I wrote my previous reply without seeing yours.

Ah thats great so Thrawn can just replace Chopper with good effect?
    Yeah i forgot about Vader surprisingly!!

So the best thing to for Empire is those 3 guys with two others.
    Any idea at all who might make a good two?

P.S im not quite sure what TMR is short for sorry! Guess i havn't been reading enough discussions!

Just realized its Turn Meter Removal lol
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah would it be later into the game before i could use a viable thrawn team in the arena?

I have been focusing on Chopper in Cantina store and Kanan in Squad Arean Store so i was reluctant to farm anyone else there as i want to get the Phoenix to at least 6* before Thrawn.

I actually bought a promo to get Boba at 4* for €8 i think it was so maybe im not 100% f2p but i mainly wanted the 1000 crystals it gave too! :D

I have been reading alot about that Wiggs team and as much as it is probably the best thing to do i was hoping i could get a team that will fit around the Thrawn i get.

Im going by estimates and it should be Feb when the event is back. I know ill get at least a 5* maybe 6* but i think it might be too soon to get a 7* Thrawn next month.

Yeah i was hoping EP would be this month but it Yoda i think. But with that in mind i could have EP and Thrawn both at say 6* at least. Would you be able advice me on a team i could start farming now? Or is it best just to wait until i can farm the likes of DT, ShoreTrooper etc?

As much as I have read about Thrawn, he just fixs in any team and that is so **** good xD

Regarding to R2 event, you will count with EP, Thrawn and Vader which is good, I would use something like TFP and RG to complete the other 2 slots, they are easy to farm also.
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

As much as I have read about Thrawn, he just fixs whatever squad you put him in so you wouldn't have any problem after all.

Regarding to R2 event, you will count hopefully with EP, Thrawn and Vader and again as much as I have read also about R2 event, RG + TFP could fix those two slots.
  • Options
    ManuG wrote: »

As much as I have read about Thrawn, he just fixs whatever squad you put him in so you wouldn't have any problem after all.

Regarding to R2 event, you will count hopefully with EP, Thrawn and Vader and again as much as I have read also about R2 event, RG + TFP could fix those two slots.

So i should focus on them?

Would tarkin be a viable option? Does he fit into any arena teams that place high? Also he is a capital ship so is he worth farming and replacing either RG or TFP?

Also do you know what a good end game team i could focus on leaving out GK and Raid Han as i don't think ill have the guild to achieve those characters. I think CLS would be possible as the characters required are f2p.
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    Options

So i should focus on them?

Would tarkin be a viable option? Does he fit into any arena teams that place high? Also he is a capital ship so is he worth farming and replacing either RG or TFP?

Also do you know what a good end game team i could focus on leaving out GK and Raid Han as i don't think ill have the guild to achieve those characters. I think CLS would be possible as the characters required are f2p.

Ok, the idea is (as least for me):

1) Phoenix squad till 7* will get you eventually EP + Thrawn.

2) EP + Thrawn + Vader + Tarkin (yeah I forgot about him but he is useful also and a leader ship as you said) + TFP (good ship also) will get you R2. Regarding to your question of using Tarkin for high arena, I haven't seen him that much but not sure about that, i would say no.

3) R2 with the other 4 rebels will get you to CLS and as you want to make a transition into an end-game rebel team I am thinking about a rebel squad like: Wiggs + R2 + STH + Leia

4) It will take time but just join a guild which does heroics raids and eventually you will have Han + GK, don't be so negative bro :smiley:

• Options

2) EP + Thrawn + Vader + Tarkin (yeah I forgot about him but he is useful also and a leader ship as you said) + TFP (good ship also) will get you R2. Regarding to your question of using Tarkin for high arena, I haven't seen him that much but not sure about that, i would say no.

3) R2 with the other 4 rebels will get you to CLS and as you want to make a transition into an end-game rebel team I am thinking about a rebel squad like: Wiggs + R2 + STH + Leia

4) It will take time but just join a guild which does heroics raids and eventually you will have Han + GK, don't be so negative bro :smiley:

Thats great thanks for the advice!

Yeah ill go with that then i farm Tarkin and TFP. And basically follow those steps and ill have Thrawn and R2 who i believe are both very good end game toons.

Haha i suppose slowly but surely i might get there!

Thanks again for the adive and help really appreciate it!
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    Options

Yeah ill go with that then i farm Tarkin and TFP. And basically follow those steps and ill have Thrawn and R2 who i believe are both very good end game toons.

Also don't forget about your scoundrel squad for the credit heist event! Something like Boba (L) + STH + Lando + IG88 + Cad Bane should rush you all the tiers.

You are welcome :)
  • Options

Also don't forget about your scoundrel squad for the credit heist event! Something like Boba (L) + STH + Lando + IG88 + Cad Bane should rush you all the tiers.

You are welcome :)

I second the scoundrel mention. Also worth mention is that you can leave out say, IG88 (since he's from the same shop), if you get chewie naturally from bronzium like I did. From what I can tell, Boba, STH, and Lando can carry it pretty well since you can't sim it so 3* it doesn't actually matter.

Also, question: I'm in a very similar boat, and am also wondering - how does empire do in Arena? And is that answer different before zetas come into the equation? It sounds like he also wants Arena advice with a Thrawn-based empire team, but I don't see an answer (though maybe I missed it). My shard is a lot of rebels (mostly Wiggs, a couple chirrut and/or baze) and some FO with KRU lead. Wedge would take a while to farm and FOST/FOTP are pretty far from completion too, but I have Thrawn 5* from last event and the rest of a squad (minus EP for now) at 6* and I'm just trying to minimize farm since I already have rebels in Phoenix. Hopefully this also answers @StarWars2nd 's question as well!
  • DarthDyna
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I wrote a comment, but it got deleted again. So let's try one more time.

I agree with scoundrels for sure, with the caveat that you may not need IG88 (left him out because there's a lot of good stuff in that shop) if you get chewie to 4/5* naturally through bronzium like I did. You also only really need to invest in Boba/STH/Lando, since it can't be simmed so stars for finishing don't matter and they'll pretty much carry the other two, whoever they are.

Otherwise, I want to reiterate part of his question I didn't really see an answer for that I'm curious about myself - How does Empire fare in arena? Does that answer change before zetas come into the mix? I'm also asking because they seem like the natural dark side squad to work on, and I'm trying to minimize farming for my next team, since Phoenix is already rebels for events and whatnot. I guess the question is: If not Empire, who would be the next non-rebels team to farm up? How is resistance pre-zeta? I hear not great. Just looking for a next (non-rebels if possible) arena team for f2p since phoenix is starting to lose its luster.
  • DarthDyna
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Delete this one >_>
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    Tarkin can be used for end game arena. As can Empire.

Believe the most common Empire end-game squad is- Thrawn, Storm(trooper), Death(trooper), Krennic, and Shore(trooper).

But Tarkin can be a stand in for Krennic.

The problem with Empire is that a lot of the better toons are long, hard farms. Shore, Krennic, and Death are all very long farms. While Vader, Palp and TFP are great for mid-game, they start to fall apart the further you get.

But as a non-rebel farm, I would recommend Empire. Something between Palp, Vader, Tarkin, Thrawn, TFP, RG and Storm depending on who you can get. (Veers and other troopers are fine for an Imperial Trooper squad). Ideal would be pretty much the team I named earlier, but realistic is more around Palp (L), Vader, Tarkin, TFP, RG. Something to shoot for would be Thrawn (L), Palp, Tarkin, TFP, Storm/RG/Vader (in that order). Palp can also lead that team and you'd definitely want Vader then.

If Empire is unappealing, then I'd go after Sith (getting DN from shipments) or FO (for eventual Rey/BB). Niether of those two are late game tho.

Thrawn himself can jump in on any team, but does his best leading Empire.

For Pheonix, get everyone to at least gear 8. At the very least push Ezra higher, and I recommend pushing Chopper up as well. I think Zeb is also worth it, but that isn't a very popular opinion because Pheonix is not an easy 2 gear.

You probably wanna get ready for CLS in the long term. That means Han and Leia from arena store after Kanan (and maybe Tarkin), Old Ben and Farmboy Luke and R2's event (which will require an Empire squad).

Also, when you start going after mods, speed is what's going to get you wins. No matter the mode.
  • Options
    As a f2p friend here, I would level up the whole phoenix squad to 7* but don´t overinvest in gear, only Ezra. Then move into a rebel team like Wedge (L) Biggs, STH, Leia and Ezra (he is rebel and you would have him good geared + 7* come on). Maybe since you have STH I would focus on Boba instead of Leia since STH and Leia are in the same store and it would be hard to farm both but it is up to you.

P.S: Nice rank btw and dont forget phoenix squad also gives you the opportunity to get EP :)

This.
  • DarthDyna
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HK666 wrote: »
    Tarkin can be used for end game arena. As can Empire.

Believe the most common Empire end-game squad is- Thrawn, Storm(trooper), Death(trooper), Krennic, and Shore(trooper).

But Tarkin can be a stand in for Krennic.

The problem with Empire is that a lot of the better toons are long, hard farms. Shore, Krennic, and Death are all very long farms. While Vader, Palp and TFP are great for mid-game, they start to fall apart the further you get.

But as a non-rebel farm, I would recommend Empire. Something between Palp, Vader, Tarkin, Thrawn, TFP, RG and Storm depending on who you can get. (Veers and other troopers are fine for an Imperial Trooper squad). Ideal would be pretty much the team I named earlier, but realistic is more around Palp (L), Vader, Tarkin, TFP, RG. Something to shoot for would be Thrawn (L), Palp, Tarkin, TFP, Storm/RG/Vader (in that order). Palp can also lead that team and you'd definitely want Vader then.

If Empire is unappealing, then I'd go after Sith (getting DN from shipments) or FO (for eventual Rey/BB). Niether of those two are late game tho.

Thrawn himself can jump in on any team, but does his best leading Empire.

For Pheonix, get everyone to at least gear 8. At the very least push Ezra higher, and I recommend pushing Chopper up as well. I think Zeb is also worth it, but that isn't a very popular opinion because Pheonix is not an easy 2 gear.

You probably wanna get ready for CLS in the long term. That means Han and Leia from arena store after Kanan (and maybe Tarkin), Old Ben and Farmboy Luke and R2's event (which will require an Empire squad).

Also, when you start going after mods, speed is what's going to get you wins. No matter the mode.

Thanks for the response, VERY helpful! It's been hard to get anyone to really respond about Empire in arena.

I suppose I should have linked my swgoh.gg. Speaking for myself, jmy Phoenix is more or less all set, so long as I can get a couple of levels before the next Thrawn. I'm almost done with my Empire farmables right now, minus a tank. I mostly ask because I never see anyone talk about them in arena other than troopers, but they seem like they could do some work.

I keep getting mixed responses on who I should farm up from cantina store first: Stormtrooper, FOO, or Poe. I'm leaning toward poe since it seems more likely I'll need him for an event coming up (other than TB) and I can do resistance for speed mods. I suppose it's probably subjective, though.
    Post edited by DarthDyna on
  • Options
    @HK666 Thanks for your advice on the empire team. It's exactly what i was looking for!

I had been half farming stormtrooper for the past week as i wasn't sure if he was viable at end game but now with your help i think ill farm him for my hard node.

I think ill aim for Thrawn (L), Vader, EP, Stormtrooper and Tarkin. Is Thrawn the better leader option or should i go with EP or Tarkin? I would say Thrawn will be realistically 6* very slight chance 7*.
    I'd hope to have this team end of Feb with the possibility EP might not be in it if the event doesn't come around. Would this team be okay mid-game say level 60-70 as they won't all be 7* or should i keep using the Phoenix squad until i get that team starred and geared?

In regards to the Phoenix team ill push to gear Eza Chopper and Zeb more than the others? Gear 8 on the other two and say gear 9 for chopper and zeb and gear 10 for ezra something like that?

Thanks again for the help!

• DarthDyna
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @HK666 Thanks for your advice on the empire team. It's exactly what i was looking for!

I had been half farming stormtrooper for the past week as i wasn't sure if he was viable at end game but now with your help i think ill farm him for my hard node.

I think ill aim for Thrawn (L), Vader, EP, Stormtrooper and Tarkin. Is Thrawn the better leader option or should i go with EP or Tarkin? I would say Thrawn will be realistically 6* very slight chance 7*.
    I'd hope to have this team end of Feb with the possibility EP might not be in it if the event doesn't come around. Would this team be okay mid-game say level 60-70 as they won't all be 7* or should i keep using the Phoenix squad until i get that team starred and geared?

In regards to the Phoenix team ill push to gear Eza Chopper and Zeb more than the others? Gear 8 on the other two and say gear 9 for chopper and zeb and gear 10 for ezra something like that?

Thanks again for the help!

I can't speak to Empire, but my 2c on Phoenix is to stick with them basically until you can't anymore. I'm lvl 76 now and have my phoenix maxed out on non-omega/zeta abilities and 7*, and can maintain top 50, though I do have to fight a little harder for it than I did before. They're also very strong for GW - the only ones I haven't finished are when I got stuck with crazy level 85 nihilus-led sith teams or similar rebel teams with R2 (seriously??) at the last node.

Also, for Stormtrooper, I wouldn't invest too heavily in his hard nodes unless you also need gear from the same nodes. He's available in the Cantina store (bottom left), and you should be done with Chopper in time to start farming him there which leaves your energy open to focus on gear and toons that are hard node only. In fact, i've finished both Boba and Chopper by now and am working on my third toon from that store, fwiw.

EDIT: Try the first tier or two of health mod challenges (don't farm them). Phoenix is VERY strong and should be able to finish it much earlier than they're probably supposed to. If you can easily 3* those, try your hand at the third tier. That's what you wanna farm so if you can 3* and sim it, that'll take you pretty far until you start having squads to work on other challenges. Mods are a huge game changer and will vault you much higher in arena. If you can't finish those yet, do a couple in the regular challenges just to get a full set on your guys, but don't focus too hard on those at all. Bare minimum from there. Also, if I may, save your purple ability mats for unique abilities, then specials, then basics, in that order for Phoenix. Their Uniques are their bread and butter...without those as high as you can get them, the whole team gets gimped.
  • Options
    DarthDyna wrote: »
    I can't speak to Empire, but my 2c on Phoenix is to stick with them basically until you can't anymore. I'm lvl 76 now and have my phoenix maxed out on non-omega/zeta abilities and 7*, and can maintain top 50, though I do have to fight a little harder for it than I did before. They're also very strong for GW - the only ones I haven't finished are when I got stuck with crazy level 85 nihilus-led sith teams or similar rebel teams with R2 (seriously??) at the last node.

Also, for Stormtrooper, I wouldn't invest too heavily in his hard nodes unless you also need gear from the same nodes. He's available in the Cantina store (bottom left), and you should be done with Chopper in time to start farming him there which leaves your energy open to focus on gear and toons that are hard node only. In fact, i've finished both Boba and Chopper by now and am working on my third toon from that store, fwiw.

EDIT: Try the first tier or two of health mod challenges (don't farm them). Phoenix is VERY strong and should be able to finish it much earlier than they're probably supposed to. If you can easily 3* those, try your hand at the third tier. That's what you wanna farm so if you can 3* and sim it, that'll take you pretty far until you start having squads to work on other challenges. Mods are a huge game changer and will vault you much higher in arena. If you can't finish those yet, do a couple in the regular challenges just to get a full set on your guys, but don't focus too hard on those at all. Bare minimum from there. Also, if I may, save your purple ability mats for unique abilities, then specials, then basics, in that order for Phoenix. Their Uniques are their bread and butter...without those as high as you can get them, the whole team gets gimped.

Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah i realised that Thrawn is out Thursday so really ill be lucky to get him at 5* i was told.

So i should main farm phoenix till they are 7* and then can i go about about farming another team.

With Stormtrooper i dont want to spend my cantina currency on him but i did want to unlock him soon enough too that's why i was investing in his hard node so much. But now that i might not even get Thrawn this time ill probably go easy on his node and just wait till chopper is done in the cantina and maybe get Boba 5* first before starting on Stormtrooper.

At the minute i havn't unlocked the mod challenges i'm only halfway through tier 2 in the battles. I need to get to 3-C to unlock it i think. But i'll do that once i unlock them.

Thanks for all the help too!