Anybody run CLS, R2, Solo, Leia, Cassian? Or CLS, R2, Solo, Old Ben, Cassian?

Bosphorath_Meldibar
42 posts Member
edited January 2018
I currently run zzCLS, zzR2, zSolo, Wedge, Biggs. Wiggs are at the end of their rope, they can't improve much more and don't have zetas. I'm trying to strategize their replacements for my arena team as I get more zetas. I don't have GK or JTRey yet, and my Barriss and Asajj aren't 7* yet.

I've been thinking a lot lately about team synergy, particularly maximizing passive buffs and TM gain. CLS gives TM gain on debuff fails, and Cassian drops up to three debuffs AOE. He then gets 20% TM for each debuffed opponent. Since CLS leader zeta gives 5% TM for each debuff fail, Cassian's AOE will generate 75% to 100% TM gain - if all debuffs fail, 75% gain, if one lands on each opponent (or they already have debuffs) he gets 100% gain.

On top of that, Cassian's zeta gives 20% protection to all allies, and dispellable buffs based on their toon type.

Running CLS, R2, and Cassian together gives a ridiculous amount of passive non-dispellable buffs, and running CLS and Cassian gives a ridiculous amount of TM.

Leia's there because she hits like a truck and can drill through most opponents in short order, but that's about it.

On the other hand, Old Ben has very similar dynamics to Cassian, in that OB has a multi-debuff AOE that will generate a ton of TM if they fail to land.

I'm not entirely sure if OB or Leia are the best options, but CLS, R2, and Cassian seem to have some really incredible synergies with all the passive buffs they offer and the amount of TM gain possible. Focusing on speed primaries and secondaries for mods will have these guys going constantly and gaining TM like crazy. Fast with lots of TM gain and debuffs is a great way to overwhelm an otherwise more powerful squad before the opponent even gets a first turn, especially with smart use of Solo to stun two immediately at the start of the round.

Max quad power on CLS, R2, Solo, Leia, Cassian is 108,586, while squad power on CLS, R2, Solo, Old Ben, Cassian is 111,566, since OB has a second zeta. Running Leia is more offensive, and would help gain rank, but running OB is more defensive and would help hold position.

Anyone got any experience with this kind of squad makeup?

Replies

• Options
    Old Ben > Leia > Cassian

In most regards
  • Options
    You cant give up CLS
    You cant give up r2
    You cant give up han solo
    You need a tank = Old Ben or GK

If leia is already geared, she will work well
    If cassian is already geared, try him to see if his synergy is bettwe than leia's stealth and damage output (but i suspect it is not)
  • Bosphorath_Meldibar
    42 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cassian is G10 and really only needs the black & yellow eye things for G11, can't remember what they're called. It's his zeta that's giving me pause, because that's where a lot of the synergy value will come from. Leia is G11 already and just a hair behind Wedge in power, she's already stronger than Biggs. OB is only G9 and needs lots of gear still. All of them are lacking zeta currently, but it'll be awhile before I get enough zeta mats to take the next steps.
  • Bosphorath_Meldibar
    42 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My current squad is keeping me in top 50, I can poke into the high 20s but get kicked out quick. It'll be a long time before I have GK, and Thrawn needs tons of gear. Seems most people in my arena are running some version of CLS, R2, Solo, Thrawn, Barriss. I can punch through the Barriss heal and take those squads out, but if they run Thrawn lead with Shoretrooper I can't beat Shoretrooper down before they take out my Solo. Other than CLS I don't really have a high-level dispeller, which helps explain why I'm focused on speed & TM gain to advance my arena squad. I could gear Ezra more and zeta him, and I'm very inclined to, that would give me another dispel when I'm confronted with a serious tank like Shoretrooper.

In case you wanna poke around my inventory,

https://swgoh.gg/u/bosphorathmeldibar/collection/
  • Options
    @Bosphorath_Meldibar
    None of the zetas you mentiined in your last post will do much of anything to help you in arena. Furthermore character GP really means nothing. Beating teams on offense is an issue for you, and there is really one great way to handle that, more offensive characters.

Offense is easy. After seeing your profile try this:
    - CLS, raid han, r2, biggs, wedge
    I call that the rebel nuke factory. It will demolish every meta in the game except maybe nightsisters.

Overall, and for defense, you need a tank, so try this
    -CLS, raid han, r2, leia, st han

Old ben is better than st han, and if you zeta him, it would be worth it, but he needs speed mods.
    Thrawn would be better than leia later, but not necessary now.

In these teams, your performance will improve considerably. Dont take out raid han. Keep leia if you can. Uncomparable damage from those two, plus CLS, your opponents will melt.
  • Options
    The problem with your "rebel nuke factory" is that team is a pile of steaming garbage on defense. Last TW, someone put that up. All g12. zzzCLS, zzR2, zHan. Basically as maxed as the squad could get. I wrecked it in under 90 seconds. I don't like that team and wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Old ben is a monster. Do it. Don't hesistate.
  • Options
    Ive ran with cassian in a similar line up, he gets the job done but i think you have better options. Your biggest need is a solid tank in your line-up imho. If GK isnt in your near future I would consider gearing up Chaze and swapping Wiggs out. There are CLS, R2, Han, Chaze teams in my shard that compete for 1st. In the near term you can try swapping wiggs out for sthan/ob and leia.
  • Bosphorath_Meldibar
    42 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey @Mobewan, thanks for the analysis. The Nuke Factory is my current arena squad, I can get into the 20s but get kicked out quick. I'm at 37 right now with two battles left, I usually save those until shortly before the daily rewards so I can claw my way up as far as possible at the last minute.

I haven't G12'd Wiggs because they don't have zetas so I know I'll need to replace them to climb further and hold it reliably. I tested the waters with Leia replacing Biggs earlier and it worked really well, but I'm not sure I'm ready to run her full time until I can replace Wedge too, since Wiggs synergy is really good.

@Wearesyke I agree that defense is the biggest problem, which is why I am thinking so much about OB vs Cassian situation so I can get crazy TM gain, the more I can take down the opponent before they ever move the less a weak defense matters. The passive buffs and TM gain from OB or Cassian special use will benefit me even when the computer's running the squad when others attack me. I like OB but he needs a lot more gear than Cassian would to get him usable since Ben's only G9 currently but Cassian is G10 with several pieces.

@JDSteady I need about 80 GK shards to activate him so it's gonna be a bit. I have Chaze but Chirrut is only G8 and Baze is only 5* 50/85. Gonna be awhile before either are useful. I kinda feel like the Chaze meta has passed, since neither have zetas and I beat the snot out of G12 CLS R2 Solo Chaze squads on the reg. Not 100% of the time but maybe 80% of the time.

Sounds like everyone's pretty solid on dropping Wiggs for Leia & OB so I guess I got my work cut out for me! Thanks for the input guys!
  • Options
    Run something similar but with Thrawn instead of 5th rebel. zCLS lead, zHan, zThrawn, R2 and OB. Couple of them still need work but it is doing ok. Next zeta is going on R2 (unless I hold off due to Empire rumours). Had tried with Jyn in there for revive mainly but didn't go as well. I like Cassian but not geared enough and not sure who I would take out anyway.
  • Options
    What solo is good? I recently got stormtrooper solo, but no way to farm him it seems so basically trash I figure.
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Raid Han. You need STHan anyway to unlock CLS.
  • Options
    CLS and Ezra work very well together.
  • Options
    @Bosphorath_Meldibar
    Leia and thrawn could be better on defense than biggs and wedge until old ben is ready. But you'll have to gear him up too.

Also, if you havent already, its probably time to start searching for your shardmates. There is probably a shard chat on discord or something and it makes climbing quite easier.
  • Options
    CLS, R2 and han solo are te core of ur team, 100%unreaplaceable...

So u have only 2 spots to play with, since u would need a tank i think OB is ur best option... Great sinergy with CLS, good TM gain (and TM reduction too :D), thanks to mind tricks ur enemy will hit u like a wet noodle, so u dont need OB so high geared to play with him... Also take in acount if OB dies u wil get TM, speed and offense up along 2 turns (enough to kill 1-2 enemys for sure)

When i swiched to light side i started playing CLS, StHan, biggs, wedge, R2, after a week i tried my OB G9 instead of stHan G11 and i found OB much much better... Then i replaced both wedge/biggs with ezra and i found my ofensive power was almost the same...

So i think ur best option is CLS, r2, han, OB and as a 5th member either Ezra, leia, cass or trawn

Since ezra gives u a triple shot (like wiggs) and also a dispel and no aoe (wedge will die in defense after using his aoe cuz counteratacks...) try to replace wedge/biggs with OB and ezra, and then try leia or cass instead of ezra to check if any of them works better xD
  • farqs
    116 posts Member
    Options
    I run CLS (uniques zeta’d) R2zz, thrawn (ebb & flow zeta’d), Zolo and Leia in arena and sit between 30 and 50 as my speed secondaries need work.

Work on getting GK and taking him all the way to g12+ as well as getting each toon above 250 speed. Do that and your squad will be pushing for top 1-5 positions daily
  • Options
    Was just gonna write about this so thanks for the insights.
  • Options

I wrote this and posted it. Then went to add my Swogh profile to paste and deleted my post or it got deleted. Either way I’m glad it did because I looked down list and saw this thread so glad discussion can be centralized here. Thanks.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/lorddorn/
    zzzCLS, zzR2, zzJyn, zCassian, zK-2S0. Who to replace w/zeta or swap leader?
    I have a zeta available and was thinking about using. (Thrawns Unique. Or maybe Zeb or sHan)
    I also have zKylo. Before CLS I used to run Jyn as lead w/ Cassian, K-2SO, Kylo, and the last I cant remember. Zeb maybe.
    Running Jyn as lead recently seems to have me targeted more or is just weaker. The dots she brings are awesome destruction and the revive. Wondering if her aeo gets her killed.
    (Side note: I have never regretted the second zeta on Jyn or any of the others except I recently did K-2SO and maybe the 1% is so small or it’s broken. Doesn’t have words come up stating the effect works. Or maybe it’s one that doesn’t)
    Also: All toons are max abilities. CLS and K-2SO are gear 12 + 3 gears done. R2 is 12 + 1 gear done. Jyn and Cassian are 12. Maybe not relevant to discussion.

- CLS or Jyn Lead (or maybe ackbar)
    - Cassian and K-2SO have synergy so hard to pull one away. Cassian seems harder to replace. Part of team is nostalgia.
    - R2 and CLS seem to have to stay.
    - If I added someone like ZsHan would that help or with K-2SO taunting make that zeta less favorable. K-2SO taunts alot but can be got around. So maybe Zeb. He’s strong and a tank but doesn’t taunt.
    Have easily stayed around arena 50 or less but now am climbing higher with recent CLS influx. I’m okay with that and understand only some defenses are better but most are beatable.
    Chaze isn’t leveled but almost max starred. OB, sHan, Leia need work. Zeb and Thrawn more ready.
    Leaning towards leaving CLS lead and needing a taunt, adding ZsHan or OB swapped for Jyn or K-2SO.
    Sorry if disjointed writing.
    No sure where I would put thrawn but he’s gaining strength as am using him as a capital ship and like playing him.
    Any insights appreciated.
  • Options
    @LordDorn, the meta core team right now is CLS R2 Solo, the only real question is who the other two are to fill out the team. I would urge you to build up Solo, he's easy to make super fast, he always shoots first (unless the opponent has a faster Solo), he has two stuns, and he has great buffs. With R2 cloaking Solo, he's almost impossible to kill.
  • Options
    @LordDorn, the meta core team right now is CLS R2 Solo, the only real question is who the other two are to fill out the team. I would urge you to build up Solo, he's easy to make super fast, he always shoots first (unless the opponent has a faster Solo), he has two stuns, and he has great buffs. With R2 cloaking Solo, he's almost impossible to kill.

With two opposing han solo, who shoots first is NOT speed, but random
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Did you consider CLS (L), R2, K2, Cassian and Zolo?

Not too long ago that team could easily take first place. There's a clip introducing the team floating about somewhere on youtube.

• Bosphorath_Meldibar
    42 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Mobewan oh man, I didn't realize that! Good to know, thanks!

@Waqui K2 has good synergy w/ Cassian but I'm not impressed with him overall. I could be wrong though, I haven't studied it in depth.
  • Bosphorath_Meldibar
    42 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Based on people's recommendations, I have dropped Wiggs and replaced them with Leia & OB. So far I am holding steady at the same place in arena, but it'll take a few days of getting battled & battling back to really be sure if this is an improvement. However, I have more upward mobility with OB than I did with Wiggs, since neither had zetas but OB has two available; and Wiggs were G11 but OB is only G9. I lost about 1500 GP, but like others have said, GP is basically meaningless (except as an intimidation factor, maybe). By the time OB is geared and zetad, and Leia is zetad, my squad should be significantly more powerful than it was before.

Thanks everyone for the advice and commentary!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Gratz! :—)
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cassian is good. But then there is no place for tank if I add him. It all comes down to who I should drop for him.

Edit: just saw your recent comment. Good luck! Baze might work instead of Old Ben too!
  • Options
    Based on people's recommendations, I have dropped Wiggs and replaced them with Leia & OB. So far I am holding steady at the same place in arena, but it'll take a few days of getting battled & battling back to really be sure if this is an improvement. However, I have more upward mobility with OB than I did with Wiggs, since neither had zetas but OB has two available; and Wiggs were G11 but OB is only G9. I lost about 1500 GP, but like others have said, GP is basically meaningless (except as an intimidation factor, maybe). By the time OB is geared and zetad, and Leia is zetad, my squad should be significantly more powerful than it was before.

Thanks everyone for the advice and commentary!

I feel leia Z have almost no impact in arena... If u stealth her (with R2 or just her skill) she wont get damage anyway... And if the buff block her she will die anyway... So this heal from her Z wont make a big improvement for her xD

In other hand i think trawn is far better than leia cuz u can fracture jedi rey or CLS (or whatever) to kill it without counterattacks, foresight, etc. So if u are able to unlock trawn just gear him and leave leia as it is until that xD
    If u dont have trawn i find ezra much better than leia... Tanky enough and hard to kill while ur tank (or smokescreen is active) and ezra also brings a taunt dispell and an asist call (+double shot) from CLS to give everyone 10%TM (+stun if debuffed).