A broken toon that gets no attention

So yeah lightside toons are broken, breaking news am i right? I’m just curious that with all the flak that jedi rey and cls (rightfully) get why no one addresses the op powerhouse that r2 is, i mean lets just look at his kit-
Basic does fairly high damage and dishes out stuns like it’s nobody’s business
His unavoidable special dishes out a debuff that makes evasion impossible/makes maul teams irrelevant
Speaking of maul his second special(smoke screen) is a zaul team in a can
He grants not 1, but 2 incredibly powerful leadership abilities as a non leader in any lightside team( because only losers use dark side amirite?)

Soooooo.....what gives?

Replies

• Options
    Just wait for BB-9E and Death Star Droid
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Everyone likes using R2, so he hasn’t gotten nearly the negative press like some other toons yet he has outlasted almost all of them. He effectively neutered zeta Maul teams and he has been a mainstay in teams ever since. He is the “op” character no one talks about.
  • Options
    Just a quick point... R2's Improvise isn't unavoidable. It can't be evaded, but it can be resisted.
  • Options

Come on man we both know any new darkside is gonna be some marquee character that most people cant even get to a arena viable star level for like 5 months
  • Unimatrix
    283 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Talilover wrote: »

Come on man we both know any new darkside is gonna be some marquee character that most people cant even get to a arena viable star level for like 5 months

Reference? Quote?

Isn't the character release cadence similar for all? unless stated otherwise like nightsisters zombie/spirit AND wicket.
  • Options
    Unimatrix wrote: »

Reference? Quote?

Isn't the character release cadence similar for all? unless stated otherwise like nightsisters zombie/spirit AND wicket.

The most broken lightside toons( r2, cls, and rey) are event characters that you can get 7 starred right out the gate. When’s the last time we got a legendary darkside? Thrawn? Pretty sure that was like half a year ago

What I’m trying to say is that every good lightside toon is easy to pickup compared to the massive pay/grindwall that marquee characters are, that tend to be darkside
  • Options
    EP and Thrawn are the only two major DS toons that are easy to get. They might be the last two DS toons that are easy to get. KRU, SFFOP, NSS, NSZ, and MT are **** near P2P toons. Wampa and for the longest GG were overpriced shards in stores that most people can not farm. CS is a RNG if his shards are even going to show up. And that isn't counting how many are only farmable on single high end nodes.
  • Options
    Back when I first started going up against R2 in the Arena, I thought he was totally broken. This was before I got CLS and geared my characters up to G12, though. Now all those great things you've mentioned just make it so that he manages to keep up and stay relative longer than a single meta or two.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    General Kenobi is in the same category as R2 if you ask me. He's been in literally every meta team other than a full sith maul team since he's come out and he's been out longer than R2 has. He's been widely considered the best tank in the game to have. Both of these characters seem to be essential to have in any decent arena team, yet they aren't talked about because they aren't in the leader spot, and they're not the ones making it possible to solo raids. I've been preparing to unlock Wampa and have been thinking about arena teams to try him out with. There wasn't a combo that didn't have either GK or R2 in it, and only one combination that didn't have both (That I actually thought might be able to hold ground on defense). R2 and GK are pretty much arena staples at this point, whether you want to use CLS, RJT or something else. The full Empire teams don't have them, but lets be honest, those teams can't hold nearly as well on defense.

• ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    General Kenobi is in the same category as R2 if you ask me. He's been in literally every meta team other than a full sith maul team since he's come out and he's been out longer than R2 has. He's been widely considered the best tank in the game to have. Both of these characters seem to be essential to have in any decent arena team, yet they aren't talked about because they aren't in the leader spot, and they're not the ones making it possible to solo raids. I've been preparing to unlock Wampa and have been thinking about arena teams to try him out with. There wasn't a combo that didn't have either GK or R2 in it, and only one combination that didn't have both (That I actually thought might be able to hold ground on defense). R2 and GK are pretty much arena staples at this point, whether you want to use CLS, RJT or something else. The full Empire teams don't have them, but lets be honest, those teams can't hold nearly as well on defense.

I've said for a long time gk is the best toon in the game everyone says I'm wrong. During cls meta you could run squads without cls and stay at the top. Very hard to without gk.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Basic does fairly high damage and dishes out stuns like it’s nobody’s business
    His unavoidable special dishes out a debuff that makes evasion impossible/makes maul teams irrelevant
    Speaking of maul his second special(smoke screen) is a zaul team in a can
    He grants not 1, but 2 incredibly powerful leadership abilities as a non leader in any lightside team( because only losers use dark side amirite?)

It was on purpose that he should be a counter to Zaul lead teams. WAI.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    commonly used =/= broken
    As for "free" toons being better than marquee toons, i'm quite happy about that. Imagine that the best toons are marquee events, the p2p advantage would be alot bigger than it currently is. It's not really a ds vs ls thing either, pretty much all new toons get released via marquee. I will admit that quite a few good ds characters get placed in horrible spots to farm.
    When i read the title i thought it was gonna be about IPD btw, boy was i wrong ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I've felt the same since R2 was released. I am still utterly disgusted by how blatantly and how excessively he countered zeta Maul teams. A single character can remove the main strength of an entire faction! That's obscene! Just use his AOE and Maul doesn't have a leader ability anymore, and they can't get rid of the burning because Sith have no cleanser!

Add on to that how useful his cleansing zeta is on every LS team and the fact that he can benefit from practically every LS faction synergy, and you've got a toon that is, in my opinion, the poster boy for terrible character design.
  • Options
    I've felt the same since R2 was released. I am still utterly disgusted by how blatantly and how excessively he countered zeta Maul teams. A single character can remove the main strength of an entire faction! That's obscene! Just use his AOE and Maul doesn't have a leader ability anymore, and they can't get rid of the burning because Sith have no cleanser!

Add on to that how useful his cleansing zeta is on every LS team and the fact that he can benefit from practically every LS faction synergy, and you've got a toon that is, in my opinion, the poster boy for terrible character design.

Dark Side used to be centered around Debuffs, and R2 pretty much makes that entire concept pointless on his own with his Zeta, as if there weren't already several options for cleansing your entire team at a moment's notice on the Light Side.

• Options

Dark Side used to be centered around Debuffs, and R2 pretty much makes that entire concept pointless on his own with his Zeta, as if there weren't already several options for cleansing your entire team at a moment's notice on the Light Side.

Not to mention what it's like on CLS teams. Oh, you put down some debuffs that aren't stun or daze? Here comes the counter aaaaaand they're gone. All of them.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am still utterly disgusted by how blatantly and how excessively he countered zeta Maul teams. A single character can remove the main strength of an entire faction! That's obscene!

Well, Zaul ended the droid era. Until Zaul came along various droid setups could handle any other team — you just had to use the right combination against your opponent. Droids had no counter for Zaul. With your logic I assume, you're disgusted by Zaul himself as well, then.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    I am still utterly disgusted by how blatantly and how excessively he countered zeta Maul teams. A single character can remove the main strength of an entire faction! That's obscene!

Well, Zaul ended the droid era. Until Zaul came along various droid setups could handle any other team — you just had to use the right combination against your opponent. Droids had no counter for Zaul. With your logic I assume, you're disgusted by Zaul himself as well, then.

I am. He was also terrible design (mostly because he brought back Evasion meta which is a terrible stat that needs to go away). However, he wasn't the directed attack that R2 was. Droids weren't dominating the meta before Zaul, and his leader has very wide strengths that are good against many types of teams.

R2 has one ability which may as well be called 'kick Zaul out of meta'. Zaul is the only team which has all of its strength based on Evasion, and this ability completely eliminates that mechanic permanently thanks to its long duration and low cooldown.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I am. He was also terrible design (mostly because he brought back Evasion meta which is a terrible stat that needs to go away). However, he wasn't the directed attack that R2 was. Droids weren't dominating the meta before Zaul, and his leader has very wide strengths that are good against many types of teams.

R2 has one ability which may as well be called 'kick Zaul out of meta'. Zaul is the only team which has all of its strength based on Evasion, and this ability completely eliminates that mechanic permanently thanks to its long duration and low cooldown.

isn't that the whole point of having different abilities that counter specific other abilities? One could argue that they over did it a bit with r2, but i enjoy the ever changing meta. The maul meta blew everything out of the water for a period of time and sure as heck countered more than only droid teams.
    i liked some meta's more than others, but they all have/had a counter. i'm totally fine with that. Most meta's ended with a new toon or a rework, some ended naturally with already existing toons but in a different combo. One could argue that the maul meta ended with the tripple cleanse team, r2 wasn't even in the game yet. He did obviously gave it the last push into not really viable anymore.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I'm happy a single ability removes the usefulness of an entire faction.

Zeta maul leads were an abomination.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Before Zaul and Sith rework droids could take first place. After Zaul was introduced and came to dominate the arena, droids vanished all of a sudden. I played them still for a few months, carefully avoiding Zaul teams and selecting the few Zader, Rebels and jedi teams to climb, but I only reached top—20 in rare occasions.

Zaul may not have been a counter for droids only, but are you even aware how much his leadership counters everything droids had going? The 20% TM boost even made it impossible for droids to move first anymore against Zaul + SA. So yes, Zaul was exactly a direct counter for droids — but not only that (there I agree with you).

Yes, R2's burn was a direct counter to zaul's dodge bonus, and his smoke screen was an imitation of zaul's stealth, but R2 was (and is) so much more than a counter to Zaul — the same way Zaul was so much more than a counter to droids. There no differense there.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

[...]

One could argue that the maul meta ended with the tripple cleanse team, r2 wasn't even in the game yet. He did obviously gave it the last push into not really viable anymore.
    Exactly. Rex, GK, DN and Chaze dominated arenas and had pushed zaul off the throne well before R2 was introduced.

• Options

Before Zaul and Sith rework droids could take first place. After Zaul was introduced and came to dominate the arena, droids vanished all of a sudden. I played them still for a few months, carefully avoiding Zaul teams and selecting the few Zader, Rebels and jedi teams to climb, but I only reached top—20 in rare occasions.

Zaul may not have been a counter for droids only, but are you even aware how much his leadership counters everything droids had going? The 20% TM boost even made it impossible for droids to move first anymore against Zaul + SA. So yes, Zaul was exactly a direct counter for droids — but not only that (there I agree with you).

Yes, R2's burn was a direct counter to zaul's dodge bonus, and his smoke screen was an imitation of zaul's stealth, but R2 was (and is) so much more than a counter to Zaul — the same way Zaul was so much more than a counter to droids. There no differense there.

Droid teams were dead well before zaul on my shard at least. They stood no chance at beating wiggs/chaze teams, and quite frankly they couldn't beat zQGJ teams either
  • Options
    This post feels a good 6months late
  • Options
    This post feels a good 6months late

@Boba_The_Fetter sorry man i just never came across any post talking about it, only things like chaze or cls ever seemes to get attention