Understanding what gear and mods do

Hello, I would like to start off by saying that for the entire time I've played GoH I still don't have a full understanding of what words like potency, protection, and offence (these are just example's I know what the actual words mean) in the context of leveling or upgrading your character. I have searched for countless hours for either help from EA or here on the forums and still haven't found anything that can give me an understandING of what each of these words apoly to inside the game. Please help me by giving examples on how and what these words mean in the context I speak of.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Are you asking how these stats increase when you level/gear characters? Most stats like potency just come from gear pieces and mods. If you click on a piece of gear it tells you what stats it increases. I believe an mk 7 scanner increases potency, for example.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Protection is the grey bar above the green bar. It is non-health hit points that are not replenished with a "heal". though there is also protection restoration.

Offense is a term that means it applies to both special damage and physical damage. For example +100 offense will add 100 to both physical and special damage. These determine how hard a character hits. Each ability specifies that it uses either special or physical damage. The offense times the ability's damage multiplier (only visible on swgoh.gg) determines the amount that a character will hit for. Some abilities have less than a 1 multiplier which means that 100 offense will increase the damage by less than 100 on a non crit. some have over a 2 multiplier which means the damage will be increased by more than 200 on a non-crit. Crit damage is yet another multiplier on top of that so with a crit damage set and triangle that brings your crit damage up to 216%, you could get over 400 more damage out of an attack by adding +100 offense.

Potency is a stat that affects your chance to land a debuff. It's counter is tenacity, which affects your chance to land a debuff. The formula for the chance to land a debuff is 100 - (tenacity + levledelta -15 - potency) - 15. The part in parenthesis can not go below 0. Level Delta is a 5% increase in tenacity for each level the person attempting to be debuffed is above the person attempting to debuff capping at 30%. The chance to resist can not be lower than 15% unless the ability says it can not be resisted.

Defense is another catchall term that applies to both armor and resistance. Armor reduces physical attack damage by the % shown. Resistance reduces special damage by the % shown. Now both of these use a rating system, so as you stack more and more defense, you get less and less results from it. There is also armor and resistance penetration that reduce the amount of these stats by the amount of the armor or resistance penetration.

Were there other terms you wished to understand?

EDIT: to fix formula and spelling