How do you farm mods?

Prev1
My question is how do you farm mods when you constantly have to keep up with TB and legendary requirements?

Before someone sais that "you need to pick your poison and not go after every legendary", I have to say that this makes no sense, every legendary except yoda and Palpatine(who might soon get a rework and become great), they are too good to miss. From Thrawn to BB8 to CLS to JTR every single character is too good to pass up.

Then you can choose to skip some of the TB toons but that's gonna be considered selfish by most guilds and generaly speaking if you wanna be courteous towards your fellow guild members then you need to have some of those toons.

As a result we are stuck in this endless and unfun farming of characters that we only plan to use once and never again.

To make matters worse, drop rates are awful, most of these nodes are expensive and the energy we get daily is too little. We are lucky to pull 5 shards a day without a refresh and to pay for refreshes every single day then you have to sacrifice normal energy. As a result the little normal energy you have is devoted to 1-2 toons and there is almost nothing left for gear farming.

The game has made us shard collectors by no choice of our own as any toon at any given moment could become a legendary requirement and we are constantly struggling for gear and mods...

This creates an unfun experience where we can't even use the most of the characters that we have.

I wonder when or if this ever stops...

Replies

• Options
    You don’t HAVE to go for every new toon, I ditched JTR and farming SiT now, only 150 shards away, then, going onto mods until JTR comes back, then I will maybe, go onto the vets, so 2 months of farming for them.

Just check your roster and go for what is better, truth is, if you have been playing for less than a year and a half, you can’t afford to go for every toon in there, basically because you will never have his friends that make him good, go for what you need the most and ditch everything else, I defo need around 30 sets of mods ATM, so I prefer to have mods before rey, there will be someone else around or if there isn’t, well, I’ll get her sometime.
  • Options
    TofuMao wrote: »
    You don’t HAVE to go for every new toon, I ditched JTR and farming SiT now, only 150 shards away, then, going onto mods until JTR comes back, then I will maybe, go onto the vets, so 2 months of farming for them.

Just check your roster and go for what is better, truth is, if you have been playing for less than a year and a half, you can’t afford to go for every toon in there, basically because you will never have his friends that make him good, go for what you need the most and ditch everything else, I defo need around 30 sets of mods ATM, so I prefer to have mods before rey, there will be someone else around or if there isn’t, well, I’ll get her sometime.

"Just check your roster and go for what's better"

What's better is the latest legendary toons usually, so not going after those is a problem.

You are right, I've played for exactly 1 year and a half and i still feel stuck. I can never take a breather. I always have to pursue a toon with no breath
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    cadwane wrote: »

What's better is the latest legendary toons usually, so not going after those is a problem.

You are right, I've played for exactly 1 year and a half and i still feel stuck. I can never take a breather. I always have to pursue a toon with no breath

I’ve been playing a little less than that, f2p, and I just finished farming Death Trooper because I had a breather in which nothing specific was required. Now I’m going to farm some mods for a bit. There are a lot of requirements, sure, but I seem to manage to fit some other stuff in there too. Starck is in guild store so that’s not a cantina issue, nor is Veers or Vader.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

I’ve been playing a little less than that, f2p, and I just finished farming Death Trooper because I had a breather in which nothing specific was required. Now I’m going to farm some mods for a bit. There are a lot of requirements, sure, but I seem to manage to fit some other stuff in there too. Starck is in guild store so that’s not a cantina issue, nor is Veers or Vader.

So you have CLS, BB8, JTR, Thrawn, HOTH brothers, CHS?
  • Options
    Hmmm, it seems like the answer you are looking for is actually out there but not many people will warm up to it: Spend crystals.

Well, resource management means we have to choose which is more important to farm first and sometimes, we have to forgo some of the alternatives.

For example, even when the Vets requirement rumour first surfaced, I didn't act on it because I needed mods first.

So this means I don't have a JTRey. But I have an arena team with better mods, which will earn crystals for farming in cantina.

So there is always a positive shine and whether you're able to see it. Of course, I am not asking you to conform to a certain style; each player has their own farming methods.

For me, whenever I finish a 7* toon, I will farm for the mod sets I want on him for a week. 4-5 mods a day, sell off those which are not too great and pray for RNG. If you really want to spend on toons, then at least one a day will be fine.

Having an estimate on when the Legendary event returns is also a good thing to have since you can plan.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I do. The Hoth brothers aren’t 7* but they don’t need to be. They also aren’t really relevant to this question since they can’t be obtained with cantina energy. The rest are 7*.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hoth brothers are not cantina node.
    CHS for Guild support is only needed 5* to help with rolo shards
    Bb8 is obtained with FO which doesn't require any cantina nodes (Kylo Ren is available in guild shipments)
    Thrawn is obtained with Phoenix which doesn't require cantina nodes (hera/Ezra available thru shipments)
    CLS has specific charaters all of which can be obtained thru shipments (old Ben is in guild shipments)
    So that leaves Rjt. She does require 2 cantina node characters however look at the time frame between cls releases and this will probably be the time frame for Rjt return.

So yes it is all about resource management.
    Spend 1 cantina energy refresh a day on mods or save up credits and go refresh the mods store, BTW I think mod store gives much better chance at good mods than mods challenges ever will

And last but not least if you are being "forced" by your guild to obtain certain characters and you have issues with that than sounds like you are in the wrong guild.
  • Options
    Pretty much you have to focus on cantina during the week and mods on weekend.
  • Options
    Here’s what I do:

First, I should say I finish top 100 or top 50 in Arena (not high enough for crystals in fleet), so that’s 100 or 150 free crystals daily, not including the bennies from daily activities or GW. I am f2p.

1) I try to get as close as I can to 144 energy (both types) before I collect my free 45s
    2) Using the free energy, I farm cantina shards for CHS; I am aiming for 4 shards per day (see below).
    3) I use the leftover energy, plus a 100 crystal refresh, to farm mods (sometimes RNG is lousy and I need the refresh to get the 4 shards)
    4) I can usually get 8 mods per day this way.

There are tons of toons in cantina I would like to farm, but as f2p I have had to prioritize. I missed Rey bc of the Vets, but I need CHS for TB, so (based on CLS cadence) I assumed RJT would return in 4 months (120 days). Based on getting CHS to 5 stars and the Vets to 7, I did the math and it worked out to 4 shards per day.

Either pay time or money. :smile:
  • Options
    Another possibility is to farm shards Monday through Thursday, then farm mods Friday through Sunday.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Bb8 is obtained with FO which doesn't require any cantina nodes (Kylo Ren is available in guild shipments)
    Thrawn is obtained with Phoenix which doesn't require cantina nodes (hera/Ezra available thru shipments)
    CLS has specific charaters all of which can be obtained thru shipments (old Ben is in guild shipments)
    Just farm those characters from guild shipments?!?! The guild shop has a large offering of characters who appear on a random basis, and the currency is also required for gear purchases if somebody wishes to gear up their squads in a timely manner.

Yes, decisions must be made and resources managed, but it should be noted that farming a character strictly from the guild shop is a terrible decision that results in a farming process which is either extremely slow (wait for desired character to appear) or enormously wasteful (spend loads of crystals to refresh the offers).
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I farm in stages and prioritize.

Example: Phoenix. Decided I would get around to them at some point but not go crazy trying. So first goal was to farm Ezra and Hera to 5*. Did that, got Thrawn unlocked. Moved on to other things for a while. Came back and got them to 6* so I'll be able to get Thrawn to 6* in a few days. Then switched to CHS, will have him to 5* soon. Then will do some mods. Then work on DT for a while (currently just 2*). Then probably go back to Hera and Ezra for 7*.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    every single character is too good to pass up.

Their sole purpose is to make people believe this. If they didn't, then people don't buy crystals and packs to keep up. Then they don't make money and the game disappears.

• Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Options
    Moved to Character Strategy
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just farm those characters from guild shipments?!?! The guild shop has a large offering of characters who appear on a random basis, and the currency is also required for gear purchases if somebody wishes to gear up their squads in a timely manner.

Yes, decisions must be made and resources managed, but it should be noted that farming a character strictly from the guild shop is a terrible decision that results in a farming process which is either extremely slow (wait for desired character to appear) or enormously wasteful (spend loads of crystals to refresh the offers).

Well the option are guild shipments or cantina nodes. Op complained didn't want to farm from cantina node.

Never suggested to refresh shop.
    Guild shipments a waste..
    I have been farming sa and SiT from about the same point. SiT from cantina nodes and SA from Guild shipments. SA is now 7* where SiT if 70/100 so yeah guild shipments is a huge waste you should never farm from there (the last part was sarcasm)
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I farm a character for 3 weeks, then i farm mods for a week.
    I farm another character, then back to mods for a week.

Even with 3 refreshes a day, it feels slow, lol.
  • Options
    I farm one character till 7* and then go for mods for one month with 3 recharges and spend it all in x20 sims + the rest.
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Never suggested to refresh shop.
    Guild shipments a waste..
    I have been farming sa and SiT from about the same point. SiT from cantina nodes and SA from Guild shipments. SA is now 7* where SiT if 70/100 so yeah guild shipments is a huge waste you should never farm from there (the last part was sarcasm)
    There is so much information missing from this example that it's impossible for anyone to judge whether or not you have made a desirable (quick, economical) rate of progress via your method.
  • Options
    5 mods a day. Most of the time it's pointless. But just keep doing it even if you have something that seems more important. You never know when the 20+ speed secondary pops up.
  • Options

So that leaves Rjt. She does require 2 cantina node characters however look at the time frame between cls releases and this will probably be the time frame for Rjt return.

Spend 1 cantina energy refresh a day on mods or save up credits and go refresh the mods store, BTW I think mod store gives much better chance at good mods than mods challenges ever will

And last but not least if you are being "forced" by your guild to obtain certain characters and you have issues with that than sounds like you are in the wrong guild.

You got caught up on the wrong part of scubas answer. Whenever there is a credit heist, you have the opportunity to get a good mod. If you wait until there is a mod available for credits with a primary you need and a starting speed of 4 or 5 you should buy it. If it’s a blue or purple mod, chances are pretty good you’ll end up with a 11-15 speed secondary.

If you go for the gold mods, there’s a possibility of getting a speed secondary 20+, but it’s more likely that it will raise once or not at all. This is how I’ve got every mod with speed secondary over 14. I know have about a dozen decent speed mods.

Yeah, it kind of sucks, but that’s the game. And you really don’t have to chase the Meta. I got CLS and never use him outside of raids. Right now there are 7 different squads able to take 1st in my shard. JTR, ClS, Thrawn Empire Meta, KRU led First Order, Night sisters with Assaj lead or Talzin lead, GK with Zarriss, and... Rex. Still.

I have a shardmate who has skipped most of the hype toons, and instead focused on modding his Rex team, they’ve been getting top 3 for almost a year.
  • Options

So that leaves Rjt. She does require 2 cantina node characters however look at the time frame between cls releases and his will probably be the time frame for Rjt return.

Lmao, all the characters you mentioned only recently got moved to guild shipments where currency is extremely limited and farming is so slow. Also i wanna see the look of your faces when CHS is required for a legendary event
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

So that leaves Rjt. She does require 2 cantina node characters however look at the time frame between cls releases and his will probably be the time frame for Rjt return.

Lmao, all the characters you mentioned only recently got moved to guild shipments where currency is extremely limited and farming is so slow. Also i wanna see the look of your faces when CHS is required for a legendary event

The statement about CHS isn’t true anyway, once you are approaching 7* ROLO you need 7* CHS also to do the p6 mission to increase your guild’s GET income.
  • Options
    That's true. And good luck farming a toon exclusively from guild shop when they appear so randomly and the currency is so little
  • Options
    I think the point of the OP is that the game, as it stands, isn't much fun. I agree and do wonder at what point does the game become fun. I'm starting to feel like it is a rat race without end. There are some minor accomplishments that give a sense of fulfillment, but they are few and far between. If the developers don't add some enjoyment to the game, then it becomes a game just for vets that feel they've invested too much to stop. And, EA and CG will just keep farming them for as long as they can.

it is up to EA, CG, google, apple and disney to decide of course..... it is their game.
  • Incnerator
    9 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sounds like just you’re just another victim.
    https://www.psychguides.com/interact/the-psychology-of-freemium/

Also, speaking of mods. Ha anybody else noticed really good 5 dot mods that you can buy with credits show up more often when your credits drop below about 1.5 mil or so, but if you keep a ton of credits on hand most of the mods are low star or crystal only. Could be a fluke....or shifting odds. Curious if anyone else has noticed this.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Presaria wrote: »
    I think the point of the OP is that the game, as it stands, isn't much fun. I agree and do wonder at what point does the game become fun. I'm starting to feel like it is a rat race without end. There are some minor accomplishments that give a sense of fulfillment, but they are few and far between. If the developers don't add some enjoyment to the game, then it becomes a game just for vets that feel they've invested too much to stop. And, EA and CG will just keep farming them for as long as they can.

it is up to EA, CG, google, apple and disney to decide of course..... it is their game.

I mean.... if you don't find the game fun then you just shouldn't play it, right? Of course the race is without end - if the race ended then the game would end, and that's not good for anybody. It's not like a single player console game with a set objective, but that's one of its merits - it can give you enjoyment indefinitely so long as the devs have reason to continue adding to it and you don't grow tired of it. For any individual player it will of course be likely to have a shorter shelflife than that, but you get to decide when that is for you without it affecting anybody else.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    I would strongly listen to the advice from @tharduskafka ... I am also F2P, and I have a total of 16 mods with double digit speed secondaries. I would guess that 2 (MAYBE 3) came from events/farming, the rest came from purchasing Gold, Purple, or Blue mods in the Mod Store.

I can't remember the last time I had more than 12M credits, as I quite regularly buy mods from the mod store with speed secondaries.
  • Options
    Incnerator wrote: »
    Sounds like just you’re just another victim.
    https://www.psychguides.com/interact/the-psychology-of-freemium/

Also, speaking of mods. Ha anybody else noticed really good 5 dot mods that you can buy with credits show up more often when your credits drop below about 1.5 mil or so, but if you keep a ton of credits on hand most of the mods are low star or crystal only. Could be a fluke....or shifting odds. Curious if anyone else has noticed this.

It can feel that way, but then you will get one or two every refresh for a couple days straight and lose your stash lol.
  • Options

I mean.... if you don't find the game fun then you just shouldn't play it, right? Of course the race is without end - if the race ended then the game would end, and that's not good for anybody. It's not like a single player console game with a set objective, but that's one of its merits - it can give you enjoyment indefinitely so long as the devs have reason to continue adding to it and you don't grow tired of it. For any individual player it will of course be likely to have a shorter shelflife than that, but you get to decide when that is for you without it affecting anybody else.

Trust me, if the game wasn't star wars themed then it would be dead a long time ago. People just love anything star wars which is why they play it, that includes me. Getting locked of content really hurts.
  • Options
    The whole point of the game is that it demands you set priorities and set goals.

It's then built in that achieving these goals is a very slow, frustrating process. It's also built in that the it's really hard to prioritise because its made to seem like everything needs doing all at once.

The solution to both these problems? Spend money. That's the whole point and it's everything that the "game" pushes you to do.

So, you can either crack and pay up. Or don't pay and engage in a long, tiresome, frustrating slog- making difficult choices and becoming comfortable with the idea that you won't get all the good stuff first time round. or maybe second or third time round.

Choice is yours.