How to beat phoenix with phoenix at low level

Hi,
I'm lvl 56 right now, been doing pretty well in arena (hovering around top 20-30) with my phoenix team. They actually fare pretty well against most other teams (except heavy DPS rebels).

But today we're reaching a point in my shard where:
- Everybody around me in the rankings has a phoenix team
- We're all getting to that phoenix sweet spot of gear 7 (where suddenly Zeb's unique starts kicking in thanks to the appearance of MODs and the gear 7 protection gain)

Now, for the life of me, I can't defeat any team, nor can they defeat me. It's just an eternal brawl where not a single character ends up dying within the 5 minutes (and probably never would even in a 2 hours fight).

I've tried to start by focussing chopper... nope he just keeps healing himself on and on and on, and whenever he gets a bit low, Hera's special protects him and his health shoots back up. Same with Kanan. I can't really focus Hera efficiently either, because the taunts eventually get in the way, and by the time it is one of my dispeller's turn, she's back to full health anyways.

I don't see any reason to focus Ezra because he just contributes to DPS and not to recovery, which is the issue I have. And Zeb is probably the hardest character to focus because he can stun you with his counterattacks.

Really I'm desperate here... So I guess my only option is to now focus on levelling an anti-phoenix squad...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Options
    Cool, never seen Phoenix in arena. Beating a phoenix team with lower chars is pretty hard, due to their regeneration and counters ... in your case, i would try to focus on ezra, sabine or hera first, depending on who of them has the lowest hp/protection. if your ezra hits hard enough, you could try to focus kanan first, to get rid of the counters, but usually he is hard to kill with all the others left.
    Once, you got ezra, hera and sabine gone, you might try zeb or chopper. try to attack opponents zeb with your zeb's basic first to get Daze stick ... now focus him down. Chopper next, then kanan last. without the regeneration coming from chopper and zeb, he is not hard to kill ... just skip abilities adding debuffs.
    Its at least a try.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There was a 4 or 5 page discussion on this within the last week on this arena section of the forum.

Spend a few minutes looking and you will find it.
  • Options
    OOOOOH I just realized the one big mistake I've been doing, which is to attack with Zeb. I was wondering why chopper was gaining so much health when I was hitting him with Zeb, but it's actually kanan's unique that's killing me in this matchup.

So kanan should probably be my main focus, but without hitting him with zeb
  • Options
    Arch... now there so much micro-management involved that I just take too much time making my decisions and the fight never ends anyways :-(
  • Options
    The easiest thing would be to find someone else to fight. I haven't bothered with phx vs phx in a long time.
  • Options
    I don't run Phx (they're all 7* lvl 85, but I'm just now gearing them for the Thrawn event), but I fight them quite a bit. I always focus on Kanan first, always. Until he's gone, everyone just keeps countering all my attacks (which is really awful when running my Sith team or Wiggs/Chaze team with their AOE attacks). So Kanan first, then Hera. Obviously taunts can get in the way of that, but that's what I always try to do.
  • Options
    The easiest thing would be to find someone else to fight. I haven't bothered with phx vs phx in a long time.

Agreed, I had this issue for about 5 minutes until I hit the refresh button. The shard might be flooded with phoenix but you'll always find a few other options.
  • Options

Agreed, I had this issue for about 5 minutes until I hit the refresh button. The shard might be flooded with phoenix but you'll always find a few other options.

Unless he's on a super new shard where everyone read the forums and decided on Phoenix :P
  • Options
    Dralkyr wrote: »

Unless he's on a super new shard where everyone read the forums and decided on Phoenix :P

Like I said, I'm lvl 56 and I rank 25th in my shard as of now. Everyone except a few nightsisters, a couple of nihilus and 2-3 rebels has phoenix in the top 50. Refresh won't help, it's just more of the same.

Focusing Kanan seems the only viable strat because he's slower, so heals less often, and he's the character that causes the biggest headache. Not because of counterattacks (phoenix don't care about counterattack), but rather because he gives "Heal for 15% health when a debuff is applied". The main issue here is: Kanan's base attack has a chance to apply a debuff, and so does zeb's. So I have to be very careful not to attack my focus with these two.

If I can kill Kanan in less than 3 minutes, then I should be good. Next focus would be chopper, then hera, then zeb and finally Ezra who's absolutely irrelevant in this fight.
  • DedrickRogue
    924 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Phoenix has 2 taunts, but they also have 2 buff-wipes and a daze. Both Chopper & Ezra can dispel taunts, Zeb dazes your target. Just make sure Hera has already used Backup Plan, or you can kill your target before she gets another turn.

As you continue leveling/gearing/modding Phoenix it'll get easier to take out mirror squads of similar level.

[edit] Be warned, unless you have Sabine Phoenix can not ever beat a Nightsister team that runs zombie and acolyte. You'll need to take out a Phoenix member and sub in someone with either AoE dispel(k2, Ventress, DT) or someone with high AoE damage(Lando, wedge, Snowteooper).
  • Options
    No Sabine? Armor Shred would probably help you take down Kanan and Chopper.
    I would think that an effective tactic would be to use the assist calls from Hera and Ezra to direct Zeb after Kanan to stun him. When Chopper taunts, use Ezra to dispel it. Then focus Kanan with Ezra, Sabine, Hera. Have Zeb and Kanan go after Hera to avoid debuffing Kanan while you are wearing him down, and maybe you can get Hera stunned as well to keep her from using Backup Plan on Kanan. Use Sabine's Armor Shred on Kanan whenever you can.
    Once he's down and the threat of counter-attack is gone, I would go after Ezra. After that it is just mop up duty.