Tenacity or HP mods for phoenix squad?

Hey all. So this is a very new team, I've only been playing for about 3.5 weeks. I just got my hera to 5* so I can get 5* mods now. In the mod challenges I am limited to HP mods (any char) or Tenacity mods (Rebels). I was quite determined to go HP, but I started wondering if Tenacity might be better?

I would be on the low on Kannan's recover HP when debuffed, but I was considering replacing him with my fresh Thrawn (5*). In all my Phoenix battles the main reason of losing would be overwhelming debuffs.

So guys and girls, keep in mind this is for a lower end team, not even 7*. Gear level is mostly tier 5/6. Can you show me the way?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    As a start HP is the way to go. They more general use throughout the game. Tenacity mods may have specific uses, but I almost never use them.
  • Options
    Yup, go for health. Your first priority is just getting mods on your characters. You can move into getting better mods with speed secondaries once you have everyone with lvl 15 mods on.
  • molliza
    7 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi, Hera is usually 4 health mods and 2 tenacity mods. Primaries: square-offense, arrow-speed, diamond-defense, and protection on the rest. Secondaries with speed are great.

Check out the SWgoHbot for more advice on mods on any particular toon. http://www.crouchingrancor.com/discord-bot-for-swgoh-players/
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    I would suggest setting up a farming strategy. Maybe 6/7 days you farm hp, and farm tenacity the last day. This strategy works at any level, I usually farm speed mods 5/7 days, and rotate between cc and cd the other two days bi weekly.
  • Options
    Tenacity is junk. It's not balanced with potency, and therefore useless. Just go with health mods.
  • Options
    Health is a great base set to start with, and can go on pretty much anyone. You should spend your first month or so of mod farming just on Health to give you a solid base of mods to pick through. Tenacity is much more specialized, with very few characters really needing them.
  • Options
    I'm curious to see how phoenix will perform without Kanan and using thrawn in his place, especially at 5*. Thrawn is OP there's no doubt about it, but Kanan's taunt keeps the team alive while his unique helps with the damage. If I HAD to swap one out I'd probably go with Chopper, but even then you're giving up a lot.
  • Options
    I'd be really hesitant to drop Kanan from Phoenix, as he is only that can dispel and Phoenix really benefits from his counter chance and taunt.

I'd think Ezra(assuming you run him and not Sabine) would be the easiest to drop, as Thrawn can cover the damage lost, chopper has a reliable wipe, and his unique isn't the best.

Biggest issue with not running full Phoenix is for every member you remove, it weakens the rest of the group.
  • Options
    Ezra is my primary damage dealer, and as far as I have seen from squad fights, that is what the phoenix squad lacks. If they had a good damage output phoenix could go into lategame and be top arena competitor. I thought about Dropping out chopper as well. I just dont like how slow Kannan is. But I am going for HP mods, already have all my toons at 5 or 4 star mods for hp. Just waiting for credits to do the same on Thrawn and I will try him out.

The thing with taunts is that I dont use them at all in my current position. The reason being that I fight teams that have on average 8-10k more power than me ( does not look much endgame but I sure feel it when I fight a 31k team with 22k) and last 3-4 fights I ended up having ties because I could not finish off opponent phoenix squadron due to lack of damage. And with the passive buffs I feel like chopper affects dmg more than kannan. I could be wrong, that is why I came here for advice :)
  • Options
    Right now, maybe yeah, taunts will get people killed. Very shortly though, after a couple gear levels, Phoenix become a protection regenerating machine which sounds like what you're running into in arena. Taunts are key to keep the squishier Phoenix members alive. You can certainly put Thrawn in for Kanan, I just don't think it's in your best interest to ignore gearing him.
  • Options
    Forget about tenacity.
  • Options
    My biggest concern dropping Kanan even at lower levels would be the loss of the team's counter attack. Having the whole squad counter really ups the damage, and makes AOE attacks against you a very dangerous proposition.
  • Options
    Aside from Kanan's counter attack unique, the gain health when debuffed is amazing.
    Thrawn and Palp sub in Phoenix squad almost like they belong there. This is because they are both tagged "support". That means they get turn meter from Ezra called assist. Also Palps "Let the hate flow" removes just a small fraction of allies health making the Phoenix squad characters gain double turn meter when using specials once Hera's unique is maxed. I actually swap out my Zeb for Palp on GW.
    However be careful when facing Palp with Phoenix. Kanan and Ezra are tagged Jedi AND rebel. So they take double the damage at the end of each Palp turn. (Old Ben is the only other with this double tag of Jedi and rebel)

• Options
    definitely will swap out chopper for thrawn. As soon as I can gear him enough. Thanks all!