Do i buy the $139 pack?

Im a new player at level 55 and i started the game wrong by not leveling meta toons or even useful toons according to videos and guides. The problem is that everyone says to level certain toons as a new player and the differ on opinions alot so i am confused as to who to buy shards for with my tokens.

Anyway i have a question , if i buy the phoenix pack with all 5 guys will i be able to get a low star thrawn at my low level? and i looked up this topic and people say they are easy to farm but thrawn event is 1 more day and i dont know when it will come back , and wouldnt the phoenix team give me a leg up until i save in game tokens for a better team? i already have a $150 itunes card and i dont know what will give me the best boost. Thanks

Replies

• Options
    No, you wouldn’t be able to get thrawn. Best advice I can give is to just pick a squad and farm that squad to 7 stars before moving to the next. If you bounce around with your shard farming then you’ll never get anywhere.

Good luck!
  • Options
    You better off farming Phoenix in game and not buying that pack, simply because thrawn unlocks at five stars, meaning you need five Phoenix at five stars, and the pack won't get you five stars. Thrawn will be back within a couple months which allows you lots of time to develop your Phoenix squad.

If you like building fast and want to buy something, buy a vault and refresh regular energy up to 200 and refresh cantina up to 200, doing that daily will help farm chars and gear faster and level up faster. The ROI would be much higher to you that way then the other way.
  • Options
    It's your money and your game, that said, rebels are needed for a lot of the game, why not make it pheonix? They are also a good core group and can beat a lot of arena teams at your level. They are easy to farm with the exception of Sabine.

A warning though, once you break the seal, be prepared for your wallet to get consistently lighter.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/totenteufel/
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R R Martin
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    No, it's a waste of money. If you hate money then buy the pack.
  • Options
    I've been playing for about two years, and I've spent plenty of cash on this game. But Im not about to tell anybody how to spend their money. Just always remember, this game is much more a marathon than it is a sprint. And as much hype as there is around certain heroes, no single hero is critical to success.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    And as much hype as there is around certain heroes, no single hero is critical to success.

CLS disagrees with you. Imagine if you didn't have CLS for the first 6 months he was out. Territory Battles, War, arena? :o Yep. Not a pretty picture.
  • GhostTruckin
    4020 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    And as much hype as there is around certain heroes, no single hero is critical to success.

CLS disagrees with you. Imagine if you didn't have CLS for the first 6 months he was out. Territory Battles, War, arena? :o Yep. Not a pretty picture.

So? There are other equally useful arena options, for TB it is a small amount of GET, and for TW, again, there are other options, CLS is not the end all be all. Good yes, top notch, of course. But not the only path to rake and win with.

Edit, How about having CLS for those six months and not using him? ;):D:o
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ghost Truckin’s advice is sound.
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    Options
    If you are only level 55, and you feel like you did poorly, you should consider restarting, although nothing is lost at this point.
    If you have 140$ to spare, there are a lot of things you can buy that are going to help you out a lot more than the Phoenix pack. They are all very easy to farm. I would definitely suggest both the light and dark starter packs for anyone willing to spend any money in the game. Buying those early will surely jump start your progress. Other than that, I think crystals are key. Being able to buy 3 normal and cantina refreshes from the get go will explode your leveling speed and get you the gear and characters you need much faster, which will lead to a better rank in arena, which will get you even more crystals.
  • Options

I did get some of the uber-hyped heroes when they were first released ... some I chose not to. I had zMaul (and a solid Sith squad to run with him) at the very beginning of his heyday.... I used him for less than a week. Didn't like his game play mechanics, so I used a different squad and absolutely crushed the flood of zMauls in my arena daily.

I didn't get Nihilus when he was first released, or Thrawn. I did get BB8, but honestly only use him (it?) with my zFinn Resistance squad in the hAAT now. (Heck... I even ran an OG zFinn squad against the meta for many months with amazing success, just because it was fun.) I currently don't have ReyJ. And so far, I haven't found that I 'need' her. Actually, I can't say that I ever will. But, I can say that I'll get her eventually, likely the next time her event returns. The truth is, I'm really not very concerned about making sure that happens. I just don't stress about having the 'latest and greatest' shiny new super-hero. And honestly, I'm happier not feeling like I have to panic farm every shiny new hero that's released.

To be fair, I certainly can't say that I never jump on initial releases... I did get CLS, R2, and Chimaera (among others) as soon as they were available, and I do use those heroes in multiple game modes every day. But I'm convinced that I would have been just as successful if I hadn't got them the day they dropped. As the saying goes... there's more than one way to skin a cat. (For those from other countries, that's an American colloquialism that means there's more than one way to do almost anything.)

My point is, you don't need any one particular hero to ensure your success. I would even go so far as to say that my personal experience shows that a thorough understanding of game mechanics is worth orders of magnitude more than simply acquiring one 'critical' character. And for the OP, being at L55, I think that should be his focus. He's just starting on a very long, exciting, and sometimes incredibly frustrating journey in this game. He can certainly use cash to get a leg up if he chooses. But as they say, knowledge is power.

And, just so you understand the scope of what I've just said, I've attached a link to my swgoh.gg profile. Take a look at my arena rank chart. It's looked like that since I finally figured out how to actually play efficiently last February. And while there's no tracking (and thus, no proof) for other game modes, I also excel there, too.

Not trying to pat my own back by posting my .gg profile. Just wanted to provide some indication that I may know what I'm talking about.

https://swgoh.gg/u/abnerdoon/
  • DrMaggot
    227 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

CLS was only OP for like two months until the NS were reworked. NS and Talzin were the only I went into full speed farming and I did not regret it. CLS became an easy target.

Now I'm having more troubles against JTRey + GK + BB8 + R2 but still I'm 1st in arena daily and havnt upped CLS since I got him in december
  • Options
    Moved to Feedback/Store.
  • Options
    A again, learn to quote properly,
    DrMaggot wrote: »

CLS was only OP for like two months until the NS were reworked. NS and Talzin were the only I went into full speed farming and I did not regret it. CLS became an easy target.

Now I'm having more troubles against JTRey + GK + BB8 + R2 but still I'm 1st in arena daily and havnt upped CLS since I got him in december

So? There are other equally useful arena options, for TB it is a small amount of GET, and for TW, again, there are other options, CLS is not the end all be all. Good yes, top notch, of course. But not the only path to rake and win with.

Edit, How about having CLS for those six months and not using him? ;):D:o

See, makes more sense with the whole story doesn't it @DrMaggot
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Since is is technically against forum guidelines to attempt to dissuade people from spending money on the game, regardless as to how foolish doing so would be, my response to the OP is "No comment." o:)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Sorry for the misquote. Doesn't matter we're on the same side.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Since is is technically against forum guidelines to attempt to dissuade people from spending money on the game, regardless as to how foolish doing so would be, my response to the OP is "No comment." o:)

Lol. I had a draft that said exactly that.
  • TVF
    36680 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lol, really?

I didn't get CLS the first time. I was so hopelessly useless at that point that my guild kicked me out, my arena rank dropped from 200 to 1200, and I also couldn't sleep at night until I quit the game forever.

Oh wait none of that happened.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    WOW thanks for all the responses lol. Although as i am a new player i dont understand the player refrences that are initials like CLS "i know now skywalker" Im thinking buying the crystals might be smartest from what people said.

I am starting to have a tough time now doing arena for daily quests and advancing light side and dark side battles and cantina battles. I needed a cleanser badly and got admiral akbarcause someone said he was good for new players. Can anyone reccomend a 5 man team that i can farm pretty much everything with and save up my tokens just until i get a better grasp on the toons? cause facing a arena team i never know what opponents skills are like i do summoner wars cause i havent played long. Also should i farm pheonix or no? is thrawn really worth it?

it would be nice to have a direction to head in while i reaserch more. Someone told me biggs and wedge is a good team up and try and get lando and boba fett. But a million other suggestions also lol
    I just wanna get to end game with lots of tokens and somewhere to spend my crystals on going forward. Im a heavy spender if i enjoy a game. Im up to 14 thousand $$ on summoner wars lol
  • Options
    Wedge, Biggs, Lando, Leia, Stormtrooper Han, will get you a good portion of the way. They are all farmable and in the different stores. They will also help you unlock Palp, if I remember correctly. Leia, STHan are needed for CLS with also R2, Farmboy Luke and Old Ben.

DS: Empire: Tarkin, Veers, TFP, Snowtrooper, Royal Guard or Stormtrooper The bold ones, you can get with Bronzium packs.

Use the Bronziu packs. I usually wait until I have about 30k ally points and then go shopping. You'll get a lot of lower tier gear and if you're lucky shards.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/totenteufel/
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R R Martin