New but learning, LVL 58, where do I go from here?

Hi everybody, I'm The Manic Merk and allow me to link to my account: https://swgoh.gg/u/themanicmerk/

So as an introduction let me say I've followed the adaptive guide update but I found it somewhere in my 30's. Due to that I went for Boba first not realizing how powerful Phoenix were until finding the guide. I also detoured from Kannan to STH temporarily for the same reason. I also **** and invested too much in junk 1 star mods at 50. As a result I missed the opportunity to 5 star Tharn by about a week :-(

That said currently I'm keeping top 200 in arena at payout and the bulk of top 50 is Phoenix and NS in my shard mostly high 60's with a couple early 70's.

Fleet opens in 2 levels and I'm side farming Ashoka for his dispel ship to hopefully unlock her before 60 and my other toons are under leveled and geared for it I think.

My DS team is not getting through the missions any more but I'm leaning Empire to prep for R2. That said I feel committed to taking Phoenix to 7* for EP in prep for R2 and eventually CLS.

I'm in a friendly guild but I am maybe looking for a feeder guild for a larger guild as I'd really like to put myself in the best position to improve and do well in this game (regular higher tier Rancor and AAT even if I'm 0ing). I consistently 600 raid tickets so at least there's that lol.

I've made a lot of noob mistakes on this account but I feel I'm still salvageable, I just really don't know where to go from here. I'd gladly take high level allies if available , guild recommendations, guidance on where to go with DS team and fleet, recommends for my transition Arena team as I know Phoenix isn't viable for much longer.

Also I'm scoundrel light as I went Phoenix so I won't have Lando until after I finish 7 staring Ezra and Hera in hope for Feb EP Event.

Please wise and experienced players hear my plea's for your guidance to the promised land of level cap and dominance lol.

Sincerely,
The Manic Merk

Replies

• Options
    Alright, first of all: take a deep breath.

You're doing fine, and aren't nearly as behind as you think you are. You're hardly the first person to make "missteps" in SW:GOH, or wish that you'd known better before you invested in something (such as leveling mods when first unlocking them, I know I made myself quite broke doing that). Take it as a learning opportunity; resource management is the bread and butter of this game and you've just learned a lesson in it.

Looking at your roster, my biggest concern is your lack of a full scoundrel team. You need at least five to unlock all levels of the credit heist, and only need to worry about keeping them strong enough to beat the event until you require higher stars for things like the critical chance Mod Challenge (which I wouldn't even worry about until you're closer to end game), territory battles, or the applicable hero's journeys. Scoundrels pay for themselves, I'd suggest you pick a couple that wouldn't hurt or interfere with your current farms (quite a few show up in the guild store, for example) and work on unlocking them now.

Now, as to your other teams: stick with your Nix team until they're, at the very least, seven starred and G8. Like scoundrels they, too, pay for themselves; you can use them for a ridiculous amount of things, and your guild will thank you for running them once you get them on par for the special mission in TB. Take care of them and you'll never have to worry about how challenging your light side or cantina content is again. As far as your dark side team: you're going to have to play around with what you've got for awhile, just because a lot of decent dark side characters aren't all that accessible until relatively late game. I don't know if I'd recommend what I did, just because it's not really applicable, but I dropped Talia around your level and went with a "let's try nuking this and hope I don't die" approach to my dark side battles (let's just say it helps to have decent allies), try dropping her and putting Kylo and Boba in with your stronger empire characters.

As far as fleets go, you're ideally going to want ships for characters you've already invested in, if at all possible. Just unlocking a pilot isn't enough to make a ship strong; you need to invest gear, levels, and mods (junk are fine, it's just looking at mod dot and level) in them too, if you want to make a strong fleet with them. You'll also want to prioritize dark side ships, for the zeta event, once you unlock your fleet. You'll need five at five stars to do the event and to star up Tarkin's ship beyond four stars (you'll also need five light side ships at at least five stars to do Ackbar and Windu's ships, I recommend going rebels on LS ships). You're probably going to have to decide between going all-in on ships, or keeping your focus on squad arena until such a time you have a chance to build up your ships (I've only just started to do this; pausing between gear levels to get my secondary, tertiary, and fleet teams on par). It may help to know that most fleet shards aren't exactly competitive.

Make a plan. Decide what you want to accomplish most and where your priorities really are, and what you're okay falling behind in, a bit.

Farming Locations
    [url=https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/152476/players-looking-for-guilds-january-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting/p1]Players Looking for Guilds thread[/url] post in there to poke around for a new guild.
  • Options
    The forums hate me! Gah! I can't be bothered to type that all up again, so let me get the gist of my advice down:

Take a deep breath. You're doing just fine, and aren't nearly as behind as you may think you are. You're hardly the first person to make a "misstep" in SW:GOH. The game is all about resource management, and you've just gotten a lesson in that. Take it to heart.

You're going to want two more scoundrels, ASAP. You need at least five to unlock all tiers of the credit heist (though some of the won't be available until you level into them), don't worry about stars just yet, but make them strong enough to take on the event. Scoundrels pay for themselves, take a look through this resource and pick out two that don't otherwise interfere with your current farms (I don't recall who put this together to give them credit, but it's useful).

Stay the course with Phoenix until they're, at the very least, seven starred and G8 with omega'd uniques. They, too, pay for themselves (though not so literally), and make most the content you can use them for quite easy, GW, LS battles, cantina, rebel-required events, etc. On your dark side characters try dropping Talia from the team and running Kylo and Boba with three of your empire guys (get some strong allies to help you along; there's no shame in needing them).

You're going to have to worry about more than ships when it comes to fleets. You have to invest in the pilots, too, to make the ships strong enough to be worth using. You may have to decide whether or not to go all-in on ships (remember crystals are only for the top 20 players in a shard), or to remain competitive in other areas of the game. It may help to know that most fleet shards are not exactly competitive. I do suggest you commit to farming five dark side ships to five stars ASAP, and then following it up with five rebel ships to that level or higher. You'll need those dark side ships for the zeta event, and the light side ships to upgrade your other capital ships.

In short: figure out your priorities, and in what areas you're willing to fall behind in, even if it's just a bit.

You may also want to check out the Players Looking for Guilds thread, if you're looking for a new guild.
  • Options
    Hi, thanks for the interesting post. I'm also lvl. 58 - started Christmas 2017 - and made similar mistakes, so it's kind of heartening to read your story. Began with the holiday Google play card promotion that got me in-game crystals and Scavenger Rey at 4 stars. I suppose the first mistake I made was to buy the LS and DS starter bundles with the google card credit. I say mistake, because I started farming based on those bundle characters, not what might be strategically wise in the game. My first arena team was a LS+DS bundle mixture, which didn't get me very far. So I started reading stuff here on the EA forum and watching Mist Passiert's beginner's guides and taking lots of notes. Then I went to 2 facebook groups in search of a guild to learn more. I found a really helpful one, telling me to refocus to get a 7-star toon and start farming to unlock Phoenix characters for their team synergy. Maybe the mistakes weren't so bad, because I have 4 scoundrels now and the characters from the first two bundles make up a variety of GW squads. I think my goal is to contribute to the guild more than to reach a high individual rank. Have fun!
  • Options
    I'm still new to this game! I'm about to hit level 55 and finally unlocked my second EWOK! Was told to farm Phoenix.
  • Options
    I'm still new to this game! I'm about to hit level 55 and finally unlocked my second EWOK! Was told to farm Phoenix.
    definitely farm pheonix you need them for Thrawn who you will want for R2 who you need for commander Luke. Make sure to join a guild if you haven't already. if you want to send me an ally request 817-268-557 . i have a level 72 wedge. i recommend that you start farming wedge and biggs also. they are dominant in arena and will work well with some phoenix. leia, old ben, STHan, and farm boy luke are always good ideas because you need them for commander luke. you need rebels to get emperor palpatine all the character mentioned above are rebels. if you want good rebels for palpy use wedge as the leader with biggs, lando, stormtrooper han, leia, old ben, phoenix squadron. empire is next after rebels, vader unlocks himself through achievements, TIE pilot is great, palatine should be your leader, tarkin is good, storm trooper or magma trooper will be a good fifth. feel free to message me on here if you have other questions.