Servers, Rankings and GW understanding

Filipensky
17 posts Member
edited February 2018
Hi,

I am wondering how do servers work? Is everyone of the same region (say west US) in the same servers? or are we assigned random servers when we enter the game?

Edit: a little explanation is done lower of GW and how rankings work
Post edited by Filipensky on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you are talking about arena groups, commonly called "shards" you are assigned to one when you unlock arena at lvl 28.

Devs call them "leaderboards"
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer.

No, I am talking about the way player are dispatched to play against one another. Surely we don't play against people from India or there would be more than 15K people per category... Is there a way to know if I am on the same server as my cousin who lives in the same area and plays star wars too.

And sub-question, how are the catogeries determined in the squad arena? For example, I am lvl 75 atm and the #3 in rank is lvl 83, how could I hope to beat them?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Filipensky wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer.

No, I am talking about the way player are dispatched to play against one another. Surely we don't play against people from India or there would be more than 15K people per category... Is there a way to know if I am on the same server as my cousin who lives in the same area and plays star wars too.

And sub-question, how are the catogeries determined in the squad arena? For example, I am lvl 75 atm and the #3 in rank is lvl 83, how could I hope to beat them?

It still sounds like you are talking about arena, since that’s the only game area in which you really “play against” somebody else. But Kyno already explained that so I’m not sure why you’re saying no.

The answer to your sub-question is the same. Your arena leaderboard is set when you reach level 28 and includes people who reached that level at about the same time you did. It includes people all around the world. You can tell if you are on the same leaderboard as somebody else by whether the top 50 are the same people. The guy who is higher level than you has been progressing faster, likely by doing more energy refreshes to get more xp.
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer.

Squad arena servers or shards or leaderboards or whatever you want to call them are based on when you unlock squad arena at level 28, as @Kyno said. The guy at lvl 83 on your shard hit level 28 close to when you did but has advanced quicker than you have, probably by using more refreshes to gain XP quicker. Shards are global so yeah, you are probably playing against people from all over the world.
  • Options
    OK. I didn't understand correctly Kyno then... And they could've bought things to progress faster. That's clear, thanks.

Now, I will always keep the same leaderboard? Is it ever "rescrambled" like when you reach lvl 85 or too many people stop playing in your leaderboard?

note: why "shard", is it only meant to confuse people? Aren't shards used to nlock and evolve characters??
  • Options
    no you never change leaderboards or shards..
  • Options
    Shard is a poor choice of word to use, leader-board isn't any better, that's the list of top guilds. Arena battle-group is a term that would make sense to people, but it is too late.
  • Options
    OK. I didn't understand correctly Kyno then... And they could've bought things to progress faster. That's clear, thanks.

Now, I will always keep the same leaderboard? Is it ever "rescrambled" like when you reach lvl 85 or too many people stop playing in your leaderboard?

note: why "shard", is it only meant to confuse people? Aren't shards used to nlock and evolve characters??

@Filipensky The leaderboard group you are in never changes. As for why shard is used to refer to leaderboards, I have no idea. Not sure when that started and it can be confusing.
  • Filipensky
    17 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your answers it helps me so much to understand the game!! :)

well that sucks. If you have the badluck to try to not pay for the game and get in a leaderboard where a lot of people pay then you're doomed, though I guess that is what EA wants, to get more people paying... anyways.

So the fleet arena is decided the same way then, you can get different people in your fleet arena because everyone that is in your leaderboard of squad arena will not have necessarily reached fleet the same time as you?

And is GW based on your leaderboard? For the difficulties I mean? like they take people below your rank for #1-4, about your rank for #5-9 and above you for #10-12 battles?
  • Options
    Thanks for your answers it helps me so much to understand the game!! :)

well that sucks. If you have the badluck to try to not pay for the game and get in a leaderboard where a lot of people pay then you're doomed, though I guess that is what EA wants, to get more people paying... anyways.

So the fleet arena is decided the same way then, you can get different people in your fleet arena because everyone that is in your leaderboard of squad arena will not have necessarily reached fleet the same time as you?

And is GW based on your leaderboard? For the difficulties I mean? like they take people below your rank for #1-4, about your rank for #5-9 and above you for #10-12 battles?

@Filipensky fleet arena is the same, based on when you hit 60. Will be different than your squad arena. I don’t think GW is based on your squad arena leaderboard in any way though.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    "Shard" is just some generic name used thru gameing to describe a set of players grouped together.

I personally don't know or really care where it came from. The trchnival term as provided by Dev's is leaderboard.
    There is only 1 server with multiple leaderboards

You will hear/see shard/server/leaderboard used for same thing.
    Kinda like coke/pop/soda
  • Options
    arena servers are grouped by 20k people, so its unlikely that any shard has no one paying money.
  • Options
    thanks a lot for all your answers!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    GW is not based on your arena server. It’s a progression based on power, so that the early nodes are supposed to be weaker than your top team and the final nodes are supposed to be tougher.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    GW is not based on your arena server. It’s a progression based on power, so that the early nodes are supposed to be weaker than your top team and the final nodes are supposed to be tougher.

How will my top team be determined? Is it the last one I used in the last GW or the first one I will use when I start a new one?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

How will my top team be determined? Is it the last one I used in the last GW or the first one I will use when I start a new one?

There was a lot of discussion around this topic and many people were sure they had the answer but disagreed with each other. The most convincing answer I’ve seen is that it’s the current power (actually not what’s shown in the game now, the old power rating system) of the most powerful 5 characters you’ve used together as a team.

But then they went and severely nerfed gw for end game players and now nobody really pays attention or cares what it is.
  • Filipensky
    17 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

There was a lot of discussion around this topic and many people were sure they had the answer but disagreed with each other. The most convincing answer I’ve seen is that it’s the current power (actually not what’s shown in the game now, the old power rating system) of the most powerful 5 characters you’ve used together as a team.

But then they went and severely nerfed gw for end game players and now nobody really pays attention or cares what it is.

Except the ones that complain that they can't get to finish it. Personnaly I can, but my cousin and brother can't and I annoy them every time I say I've had "difficulty" finishing it this time. I would've liked to know how to help them get back ahead of things.

Thanks again
    Post edited by Filipensky on
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options

Except the ones that complain that they can't get finish it. Personnaly I can, but my cousin and brother can't and I annoy them every time I say I've had "difficulty" finishing it this time. I would've liked to know how to help them get back ahead of things.

Thanks again

Phoenix team is easy mode for gw. They recover so much. You can bring the other team down to being two members (tank and healer) and switch to doing basics and non damaging attacks. By the time the battle is over you have gone from near dead to 100% health and 100% protection.
  • Options
    The one thing that has not been mentioned, is there are multiple payouts on a shard based on a players location.

Not all players on that shard have the same payout time so while there are 20k players, 24 payout times 'could' exist on each shard depending on the spread of player locations. This means you could have up to 24 different people getting 1st place over the day

Realistically it will be fewer than 24 but the mechanics of how the payouts work is still valid.