Moving the goal post in platoons

Prev1
Membrane
87 posts Member
edited February 2018
Dear devs ,

I feel defeated by you moving goal posts in the battles . Every new character appears in the platoons , ewoks, Hermit Yoda , Wampa , unmasked kylo, his ship, first order pilot , his ship and now Holdo and rose ,

I feel that my guild can never complete the platoons ever, and when we come close it’s moved again.

I am defeated , you win , but by you winning . I enjoy the game less .

Thanks.

Replies

• Options
    Membrane wrote: »
    Dear devs ,

I feel defeated by you moving goal posts in the battles . Every new character appears in the platoons , ewoks, Hermit Yoda , Wampa , unmasked kylo, his ship, first order pilot , his ship and now Holdo and rose ,

I feel that my guild can never complete the platoons ever, and when we come close it’s moved again.

I am defeated , you win , but by you winning . I enjoy the game less .

Thanks.

Funnily enough I feel like that too, inevitably if someone replies from the company they will always defend their not so good aspects of their game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    why is this moving the goal posts stuff catching on?
    Platoons aren't that important. I highly doubt any guild is actually doing worse eventhough "the goalposts have been moved".
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I feel your pain when I went in to platoons today and saw holdo and rose in there it was pretty frustrating.
  • Options
    This is the worst aspect of the game. A couple thousand dollars worth of new characters are added to platoons on a regular basis. Making it mandatory to make those purchases to prevent losing the progress you already made/paid for on platoons is crooked. It ruined TB for me. I think the game is overall very fair to the players, panic farms and all. But regularly adding the newest pay only toons to platoons is offensive to me.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    This is the worst aspect of the game. A couple thousand dollars worth of new characters are added to platoons on a regular basis. Making it mandatory to make those purchases to prevent losing the progress you already made/paid for on platoons is crooked. It ruined TB for me. I think the game is overall very fair to the players, panic farms and all. But regularly adding the newest pay only toons to platoons is offensive to me.

i don't think the people that are spending the thousands of dollars for platoons are the ones complaining though. I feel their pain aswell. Horrible, horrible design. Players pay for toons they want to play with, not to put them in platoons. No argument there from me.
    However, since i'm f2p, i dont kitten about unfilled platoons. It's not influencing our TB score at all.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

i don't think the people that are spending the thousands of dollars for platoons are the ones complaining though. I feel their pain aswell. Horrible, horrible design. Players pay for toons they want to play with, not to put them in platoons. No argument there from me.
    However, since i'm f2p, **** about unfilled platoons. It's not influencing our TB score at all.

If you already weren't able to complete the platoons then the goalposts moving doesn't harm you, it just makes it irrational to expect you'll ever complete them.

But for guilds that were able to complete platoons reliably, this was a vicious punch in the gut with the tagline "Spend or else."

You can still do TB without the bonuses from the platoons, but it's my firm belief that the way P4+ platoons work now is not only highly detrimental to the players, but also self-defeating for the developers as well because it strips the payoff from building toons for platoons. This might have vampiric effects on the most hardcore guilds in the game, but for most it means that they shouldn't bother to invest to complete platoons because that investment will be rendered meaningless as soon as the next marquis character hits.
  • Options
    I get what they're doing and agree platoons don't necessarily matter that much....unless you're not a top top guild. Some of those later battles are possible but not cakewalks for the majority of middle guilds. Having the bonuses of the platoons makes a difference for non-stacked rebel/empire squads. I did my part by grinding awful useless toons like Pao and Bodhi and then get kicked in the you know what when they throw a 5* Holdo at us.

If you move the goalposts then certain guilds - or maybe all - should give up on platoons and instead solely build super squads to handle the battles and eventually get same result but not have wasted toons in inventory. Least they could do is follow a similar release cadence and not have new toons show up for a month+. If majority of super whales are in top guilds that don't need the platoon bonus anyway it shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    It's not influencing our TB score at all.

filling platoons is the same as deploying the characters, doesnt hurt to try i suppose, might as well try to unlock the first level of the bonus than just deploy and be done with it.
  • Options
    I understand that putting the new character in the platoons is WAI, but it's still really stupid.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    they moved them once when they put P2P toons there. just accept you can't fill them and move on, you will be happier in the end.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    Platoons aren't that important. I highly doubt any guild is actually doing worse eventhough "the goalposts have been moved".

I agree to an extent. As long as GP keeps growing you reach the point where platoons don't matter.

However putting platoons as pay to fill can have a slightly demoralizing affect on people, especially with TB already being a 6 day slog as it is. Design elements that lower users interest when there probably isn't any great benefit to the game is probably not a good design.
  • Options

Platoons are the most important aspect of TB's. Your statement is naive and uninformed. Please refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about. Platoons provide valuable bonuses without which would seriously impede a guilds progress through the phases. The also provide extra TP for each completed Platoon. As others have said it is a huge sucker punch to place the newly released characters into the Phase 4+ platoons, this can easily mean the difference to being a few TP short of a star. Especially when as a guild we may have been counting on having at least 4 platoons in each area to achieve 3-2-3 for Phase 4.
    I fight the good fight
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Viserys wrote: »

However, since i'm f2p, **** about unfilled platoons. It's not influencing our TB score at all.

If you already weren't able to complete the platoons then the goalposts moving doesn't harm you, it just makes it irrational to expect you'll ever complete them.

But for guilds that were able to complete platoons reliably, this was a vicious punch in the gut with the tagline "Spend or else."

You can still do TB without the bonuses from the platoons, but it's my firm belief that the way P4+ platoons work now is not only highly detrimental to the players, but also self-defeating for the developers as well because it strips the payoff from building toons for platoons. This might have vampiric effects on the most hardcore guilds in the game, but for most it means that they shouldn't bother to invest to complete platoons because that investment will be rendered meaningless as soon as the next marquis character hits.

Obviously it does harm me, it's not like those toons aren't required anymore once they're farmable. Wich is also the reason why a new marquee doesn't render an investment in a toon meaningless.
    Lets also not pretent this game hasn't always been "spend or else". Stop spending? fine, but you'll gradually lose your advantage. People need to stop overreacting, it's more fun that way.
  • Options

I'm F2P like you. But the whales in my guild spit venom every time they have to throw a few hundred dollars on a grenade for the team. Lots of threatening to rage quit, and usually for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. They love the character, and paid a couple hundred bucks just to dump them in platoons instead of actually getting to use them.

2. They hate the character, and have to either spend a couple hundred bucks (again) for a toon they don't care about, or else the entire guild gets wiped out by air strikes.

I absolutely 100% support the devs structuring the game to encourage spending. I don't mind panic farming. I don't mind giving paying players the first opportunity to use toon via the Marquee cadence. I have no issue with shaking up the arena meta every couple of month so that people need to build new arena teams.

But platoons are a kick in the *****. It's a rotten thing to do to take away the progress players have already paid for, or built towards. I find it disgusting on principle.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Dreislao wrote: »

Platoons are the most important aspect of TB's. Your statement is naive and uninformed. Please refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about. Platoons provide valuable bonuses without which would seriously impede a guilds progress through the phases. The also provide extra TP for each completed Platoon. As others have said it is a huge sucker punch to place the newly released characters into the Phase 4+ platoons, this can easily mean the difference to being a few TP short of a star. Especially when as a guild we may have been counting on having at least 4 platoons in each area to achieve 3-2-3 for Phase 4.

Ow wow, feel superior much?
    Again, i highly doubt any guild is actually doing worse. If they're doing worse, it's not just due to not being able to fill the platoons.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JaggedJ wrote: »

I agree to an extent. As long as GP keeps growing you reach the point where platoons don't matter.

However putting platoons as pay to fill can have a slightly demoralizing affect on people, especially with TB already being a 6 day slog as it is. Design elements that lower users interest when there probably isn't any great benefit to the game is probably not a good design.

wouldn't people lose interest if you could full star a TB without much effort?

the math works out to about 11 (DS) and 6 (LS) full toons (from scratch) for each guild member. if you only miss the last wave. with the rate that toons are being released those numbers will come pretty easy.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, platoons help lower rosters complete the missions. A good idea would be to make sure that doesn’t matter. It seems like TB has been around forever now. People should have some good teams. Sure, rng can really kitten you if you don’t have the bonuses but let’s be honest, platoons are not most important. If you’re depending on platoons to carry you then you’re doing it wrong.

Yes, it is very uncool to keep moving the goal posts. It’s not going to change. Recruit some whales or forever be stuck with untilled platoons. I really wish there were some other advice but I can’t think of any.
  • Options

Again, i highly doubt any guild is actually doing worse. If they're doing worse, it's not just due to not being able to fill the platoons.

Superior? For sharing an opinion? We are all equal and all entitled to our views. Mine is that Platoons are the singular most important aspect for the Battle. They can make your Combat Missions much much easier which if not completed or not having been able to complete them has a direct effect on a guilds potential to gain Stars. The bonuses alone from completing 6/6 waves is enough to warrant making sure you can complete those waves, and the best way to do that is to gain the Platoon bonuses.
    I fight the good fight
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Superior? For sharing an opinion? We are all equal and all entitled to our views. Mine is that Platoons are the singular most important aspect for the Battle. They can make your Combat Missions much much easier which if not completed or not having been able to complete them has a direct effect on a guilds potential to gain Stars. The bonuses alone from completing 6/6 waves is enough to warrant making sure you can complete those waves, and the best way to do that is to gain the Platoon bonuses.

Not for sharing an opinion. For making comments like “Your statement is naive and uninformed. Please refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.“. Which doesn't jive with “we are all entitled to our views.”
  • Options
    Platoons is a gold mine
  • Options
    giphy.gif
  • Dreislao
    380 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Not for sharing an opinion. For making comments like “Your statement is naive and uninformed. Please refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.“. Which doesn't jive with “we are all entitled to our views.”

What you quoted was not an opinion. His statement that "Platoons aren't that important" is factually incorrect. They are incredibly important having effects on the amount of bonus TP you can generate and the Platoon bonuses. With the knock on effect that they also make the Combat Missions easier and in doing so provide you with a much greater chance of completing 6/6 waves for yet more bonus TP.
    I fight the good fight
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

What you quoted was not an opinion. His statement that "Platoons aren't that important" is factually incorrect.
    Well, according to... yourself it is actually an opinion.

Superior? For sharing an opinion? We are all equal and all entitled to our views. Mine is that Platoons are the singular most important aspect for the Battle.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Mine is that Platoons are the singular most important aspect for the Battle. They can make your Combat Missions much much easier which if not completed or not having been able to complete them has a direct effect on a guilds potential to gain Stars. The bonuses alone from completing 6/6 waves is enough to warrant making sure you can complete those waves, and the best way to do that is to gain the Platoon bonuses.

It's fine that you think platoons are the singular most important aspect for the battle. I think you're wrong, the team you use is way more important. It's not even close tbh.
    Raw GP + 3/4 good teams is all you need for TB. Platoons aren't that important, and certainly not worth the amount of money needed to buy the required toons. We're doing fine with only filling the f2p platoons, certainly not worse since "the goal posts have been moved". Heck, it probably wouldn't even make a difference if we could fill all platoons, extra stars are too far away.
  • Options
    It’s not about doing worse , it’s about not moving forward . The feeling of progression is a great feeling. When they add the new toons to the platoons , the feeling of progression is gone. Now It feels like I am spinning my wheels in the mud . It’s Not getting anywhere .

If platoons are not needed , then take that out of the game . Some guilds need it and some guild don’t , if you are not getting full stars then having platoons might be an advantage ? The at-at attacks in 5 and 6 are crazy.
  • Options

They are actually the key to beating DS TB. Cutting those supply lines in key.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    jejuzang wrote: »

They are actually the key to beating DS TB. Cutting those supply lines in key.

Don't need p2p platoons to do well in DS TB either.
  • Options
    Well I am still in the "Platoons are important" camp. Completing them means easier battles, more points, more stars, more rewards.

I don't mind if they put new characters in the platoons, but requiring hundreds of dollars to "farm" them is obscene. Platoon them after they get a F2P spot, that's fine. Give the buyers a chance to play with their new toys before forcing them into platoons where they do nothing.

I think their current model is counter-productive to the interests of the developers and the players.
  • Options
    Ambassador wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You can do better than that
  • Options
    I think the idea is, guilds have to pay hundreds of dollars each month or they will be pelted over and over by ATATs