Could or couldn't care less

2Next

Replies

• Options
    I didn't even bother reading the OP, how much less can you care?
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    I didn't even bother reading the OP, how much less can you care?

You bothered to post, so exactly that amount. :D
  • Options
    I use both.

Depending on situation and who I'm talking to.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Options
    I clicked on this purely out of curiosity; I am pleased with what I found.
    But while I'm here; I actually use both;
    Eg
    Friend: did you watch the Oscars last night?
    Me: I honestly couldn't care less

Or

Friend: dude I can't believe your parents are getting divorced.
    Me: meh, I mean if I'm being honest I suppose I could care less
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I use both.

Then you're doing it wrong.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I use both.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Yes the graphic on page 1 settled the argument. Give us some other phrases you think you might be using wrong. :p
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    "I could care less" is a great example of an idiom that's been misspoken so many times that it has become an acceptable substitute, despite being the exact opposite (or just plain wrong, as in "irregardless" which isn't a word). You can continue to use and and everyone will know what you mean, but eventually you'll come across a member of the grammar police and they'll call you on it -- you've been warned ;)
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif
  • Options
    English speakers will know what you mean, non English speakers may be confused. We don't need to add more things to our language to confuse them.

Flammable
    adjective
    easily set on fire; combustible; inflammable.

Inflammable
    adjective
    capable of being set on fire; combustible; flammable.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm not a native english speaker, but to me "inflammable" sounds like it's more proned to catch on fire than "flammable". So i've just been making a distinction between the two that doesn't even exist, awesome.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's an old Simpson's joke, but it's possible someone thinks inflammable means 'not flammable'. Like inaccurate, inappropriate or indirectly. And given that inflammable is often used on chemicals...

th?id=OIP.NmH8IFlLLSgSw1o7KZ4d8AHaHa&pid=15.1

inflammable-liquid-3.png

Both will explode. :#
  • Options
    Since "flam" is a drumming technique
    flam
    noun: flam; plural noun: flams
    one of the basic patterns (rudiments) of drumming, consisting of a stroke preceded by a grace note.

Then would not "flammable" mean something that could be flammed upon, like a drum or other resonant surface?
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    "I could care less" is a great example of an idiom that's been misspoken so many times that it has become an acceptable substitute, despite being the exact opposite (or just plain wrong, as in "irregardless" which isn't a word). You can continue to use and and everyone will know what you mean, but eventually you'll come across a member of the grammar police and they'll call you on it -- you've been warned ;)

I never even realized until I read this that "irregardless" is not a real word.
    latest?cb=20150205003903
  • Options
    Since "flam" is a drumming technique
    flam
    noun: flam; plural noun: flams
    one of the basic patterns (rudiments) of drumming, consisting of a stroke preceded by a grace note.

Then would not "flammable" mean something that could be flammed upon, like a drum or other resonant surface?

Sure. Misunderstanding in the making. Thanks in advance in case that ever comes up on Jeopardy. B)
  • Options
    And there called drum barrels. I feel like there's a word origin story there.

22b4ac79d4bb4ea2baf41ca62b1d64a0.jpeg
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    And there called drum barrels.

Since we're doing this in the thread, it's "they're" for "they are."

• Options
    Flammable/imflammable could be us Canadians' fault. The French translation of flammable is imflammable, and by Canadian law we must label in both English and French. So you get things labelled "Flammable / Imflammable" which must really confuse people that think they're opposites.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    I mean technically, yes. (I couldn't care less) But I think this is one of those things like 'literally,' where the colloquial usage of the word eventually wins out. Languages evolve
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I literally refuse to accept that.
  • Options
    This thread should be closed, this is already answered and it is blocking our attention from relevant threads
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

But they're right there! Side by side - like they're friends, but each has their own label. There....done.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I mean technically, yes. (I couldn't care less) But I think this is one of those things like 'literally,' where the colloquial usage of the word eventually wins out. Languages evolve

Please don't go here. People who misuse the word "literally", figuratively drive me crazy. And if the figurative use of literally wins, then the terrorists have already won.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Snake2 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    It depends on exactly how it is used either one could be correct

No, not really. Regardless about what people think.

Yeah, I just opened up that can of worms too.

For all intensive purposes, that's a mute point.

That’s hilarious. You made me spit my drink out.
  • Options

Please don't go here. People who misuse the word "literally", figuratively drive me crazy. And if the figurative use of literally wins, then the terrorists have already won.

Go where? That's just how things are. Even if it's not correct if it's used it's used and the majority wins out
  • Options

That was just me being careless their. I see what you did they're, by the way. :p
    ElleMadara wrote: »
    This thread should be closed, this is already answered and it is blocking our attention from relevant threads

Where are these 'relevant threads' of which you speak? This isn't a particularly active Off Topic board. It's pretty slow usually.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Go where? That's just how things are. Even if it's not correct if it's used it's used and the majority wins out

Yes, the majority is often less than bright.
  • Options

Yes, the majority is often less than bright.

Certainly agree with you there
  • Options
    Whenever the majority of people do anything even though it's clearly wrong...well...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOs8MaR1YM