Speed isn't the problem; damage is.

Jamison_Quicke
16 posts Member
edited February 2016
There have been a few posts that have claimed speed is what is creating the boring meta. I think speed is a symptom, not the actual problem. Let me explain.

Damage is outrageously high right now. Between extra assist, offense up, and expose it is too easy to 1-shot heroes. The best you can hope for is a taunting tank to get 1 more activation after taunting if you are lucky. There is no reason to not just put in your fastest heroes and let them kill the opponent before they go.

But what if damage output was lowered to the point where you couldn't just wipe out your opponent's heroes before they act? First of all, the pace of gameplay would slow as matches would take longer. But this also means that using different tactics would matter, and choosing the right team for the fight would be important. Speed could be countered with durability. Having a healer would make sense in arena. I feel like it would bring so much more strategy to the game and open up so many new team combinations.

I really believe that it's the high damage output that is making the meta stale. What are your thoughts on the topic?

Cheers,

Jamison

Replies

• Options
    what you want more then 15 characters to be relevant? I think that's asking a bit much of this development team at this time :(
  • Options
    I agree somewhat with this observation, but also feel that there are current viable counters to the speed/damage meta already.

Having high damage dealers behind a taunter was popular, so its natural for people to want to build up more damage/speed and outpace the enemy's attackers rather than build up a team of more durable heroes designed to flourish while taking damage.

• Options
    Damage, defense stats/calculations and the AI are the problems right now.
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • Options
    Take a look at the max level 90 character stats. The HP difference between tanks and DPS widens quite a bit. I think different builds will be viable by end game