Best tank for Palp lead, Vader, Nihilus and Thrawn?

Prev1
GK seems to be the popular choice. Anyone doing well with Shoretrooper or Stormtrooper?
I'd have thought Shore offers more versus NS because of his heal, but Stormtrooper could also help out Palp with his 40% defence buff. Plus staying with Empire increases Vader's speed.

Replies

• Options
    Or SithTrooper for that matter.
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You're right under both accounts - shore gets the autotaunt plus heal, but sith trooper should gain taunt plus retribution fairly quickly. Also, his special allows for near max health regain under palp lead, plus bonus protection.

Those are really the two I'd recommend for that squad anyway.

Edit - typo
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm using shore, mainly because i didn't want to use kenobi, not because i think he's better or anything like that. On offence it's smooth sailing. Haven't tried kenobi on def, maybe i drop less far, maybe not.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    +1 Shoretrooper

Good sinergy and DS teams looks cool :)
  • Options
    i play with both, thrawn palp vader shore and gk
  • Options
    GK
  • Options
    ShT will gaurentee that NS teams will go around. Who exactly does GK keep you from attacking you?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    ShT will gaurentee that NS teams will go around. Who exactly does GK keep you from attacking you?

Granted, I've only been running the all g12 versions for a few days, but oddly (and sadly) it seems that my teams performs better on offense with GK. Some of it might have to do with the fact that GK can take the two Armatek g12 pieces which boost his health and resistance higher than Shore's. It also could simply be the cleanse.

ETA: There are only about 3 NS teams in the top 20 or so on my Nov. 2015 shard - so that might be it as well. I've been holding in 7 for almost 12 hours with GK (after getting bumped back a couple hours after payout - which is normal).
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    gk is great, give you retribution and with his special usually can one-shot one ns
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I use GK currently. And unfortunately. I can't wait to run all DS. My plan is to use KRU once I got a few more stars on him. I have SiT but haven't used him yet. I will try him out soon. Shoretrooper seems to be very beneficial as well. Unfortunately I'm building my shore so he'll be a bit.

Now in no way am I saying they are better than GK. There is no DS tank that is good as GK but I think kru, shore, and SiT all can work well. SiT however probably brings the least to the team overall though. Other than just being a brute with tons of health, protection, and defense.
  • Options
    I use GK currently. And unfortunately. I can't wait to run all DS. My plan is to use KRU once I got a few more stars on him. I have SiT but haven't used him yet. I will try him out soon. Shoretrooper seems to be very beneficial as well. Unfortunately I'm building my shore so he'll be a bit.

Now in no way am I saying they are better than GK. There is no DS tank that is good as GK but I think kru, shore, and SiT all can work well. SiT however probably brings the least to the team overall though. Other than just being a brute with tons of health, protection, and defense.

Don't get your hopes up with Shore. I have both he and GK at g12 now - and GK still seems to work better for a Palp lead team.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Don't get your hopes up with Shore. I have both he and GK at g12 now - and GK still seems to work better for a Palp lead team.

the difference doesn't matter though, you'll win with both on offence and lose with both on defence.
  • Options
    The problem with SiT is that once he has buff immunity he's not getting rid of it.
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    The problem with SiT is that once he has buff immunity he's not getting rid of it.

Ya. Thats my issue with him. You can say that about most tanks though. Thrawn will have to cleanse them. Except GK of course.
  • Options
    @Sacull_Kinslayer I guess too, Shore provides crit immunity while SiT can provide offense down so each has their own place in an Empire/Sith team. GK's overall utility is hard to beat and that's the problem
  • Options
    Yep. Utility. That's what is missing from most DS toons. I've seen it in many PvP games in my gaming life... It's not the tankiest or the character that does the most damage that is the most important or tips the balance... It's the side with the toons that have the most utility that tip the scales favorably. And in this game DS is horribly lacking in the utility characters. That is why I don't think marauder has a place in arena. Not until there are more DS toons with utility otherwise marauder is taking a place that something more important needs to be in.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Yep. Utility. That's what is missing from most DS toons. I've seen it in many PvP games in my gaming life... It's not the tankiest or the character that does the most damage that is the most important or tips the balance... It's the side with the toons that have the most utility that tip the scales favorably. And in this game DS is horribly lacking in the utility characters. That is why I don't think marauder has a place in arena. Not until there are more DS toons with utility otherwise marauder is taking a place that something more important needs to be in.

don't forget that most LS teams needed or atleast benefited greatly from having one DS character in the team.
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yep. They did. DN or Thrawn for the most part. Thrawn is one of the few DS toons with utility. But Ls is full of toons with utility or synergy. DS had a few strong toons that occasionally LS squads would plug in. DS has nothing that compares to GK, r2, etc, etc, and all the LS toons that have huge utility. Thankfully, maybe, hopefully, the overlords have seen their error and will be continuing on correcting it to once again bring balance to the universe.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Yep. They did. DN or Thrawn for the most part. Thrawn is one of the few DS toons with utility. But Ls is full of toons with utility or synergy. DS had a few strong toons that occasionally LS squads would plug in. DS has nothing that compares to GK, r2, etc, etc, and all the LS toons that have huge utility. Thankfully, maybe, hopefully, the overlords have seen their error and will be continuing on correcting it to once again bring balance to the universe.

LS has nothing that compares to Thrawn, DN or NS for that matter either. Point being that if you want the best possible toons in your line-up you're gonna have to mix and match DS/LS.
    DS has the insta kill game, increase CD game, anti revive game and debuff game on lock for example. Overall LS has always been the stronger side in this game, but that doesn't mean that DS needs everything LS has because it's certainly not true the otherway around.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

LS has nothing that compares to Thrawn, DN or NS for that matter either. Point being that if you want the best possible toons in your line-up you're gonna have to mix and match DS/LS.

I mean, I have to agree with @Sacull_Kinslayer here...if you just look at CLS, JTR, GK, R2, and Raid Han, you could flat out remove 2-3 things from their kits and they'd still be top tier characters. You remove any one piece from Thrawn or DN and I'm not sure you can say the same thing. :)

On topic, I currently use Palp (L), DN, Thrawn, GK, and SiT and let me tell you...wow. Before the Palp rework, I sat around 150 and would drop 50~70 spots per day on defense [DN (L), SiA, SiT, Thrawn, GK]. Currently sitting at 51 now, and literally didn't drop a single spot overnight so this team must be doing something right on defense! Only been running this for about a day and a half, so we'll see what happens.

My SiT is 100% maxed, and between a Tenacity cross, one tenacity set, some secondaries and Palp's lead, CLS has a LOT of trouble landing buff immunity. That, and with Thrawn and GK on the team, there's no problem keeping the taunts up. I'm honestly curious if this team would be better or worse if I replaced SiT or GK with Vader. @leef @Sacull_Kinslayer
  • Options
    @Dryff

Vader is sneaky in an ep squad. The turn meter manipulation he provides speeds the empire/sith up tremendously. And he lays the foundation for DN. Yes I would suggest fitting Vader in there over SiT. Start with crush and follow up with saber toss to clear some debuffs off a target and instant TM to your squad. Then your options become many.
  • Options
    Dryff wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

I mean, I have to agree with @Sacull_Kinslayer here...if you just look at CLS, JTR, GK, R2, and Raid Han, you could flat out remove 2-3 things from their kits and they'd still be top tier characters. You remove any one piece from Thrawn or DN and I'm not sure you can say the same thing. :)

On topic, I currently use Palp (L), DN, Thrawn, GK, and SiT and let me tell you...wow. Before the Palp rework, I sat around 150 and would drop 50~70 spots per day on defense [DN (L), SiA, SiT, Thrawn, GK]. Currently sitting at 51 now, and literally didn't drop a single spot overnight so this team must be doing something right on defense! Only been running this for about a day and a half, so we'll see what happens.

My SiT is 100% maxed, and between a Tenacity cross, one tenacity set, some secondaries and Palp's lead, CLS has a LOT of trouble landing buff immunity. That, and with Thrawn and GK on the team, there's no problem keeping the taunts up. I'm honestly curious if this team would be better or worse if I replaced SiT or GK with Vader. @leef @Sacull_Kinslayer

I'd replace trooper with Vader. Those dots just feed tm to the team and culling blade can wipe out a Han in one shot.
  • Options
    @leef my point being basically is that LS has for the longest time had strong squads and strong synergy whereas DS just had a couple good toons. Hopefully all that is changing and continues to change and become more balanced.
  • Options
    @Dryff

Vader is sneaky in an ep squad. The turn meter manipulation he provides speeds the empire/sith up tremendously. And he lays the foundation for DN. Yes I would suggest fitting Vader in there over SiT. Start with crush and follow up with saber toss to clear some debuffs off a target and instant TM to your squad. Then your options become many.

Well then, I'll have to work on getting Vader from G11 to G12 then :) This seems to be the exact Palp team that's taking over my arena shard. Though I gotta say, I love being THAT GUY who is one of only like 10 people in all of SWGOH with Sith Trooper on the squad :D

Thank you for the input @Sacull_Kinslayer @CleverWes
  • Options
    Don't think any1 mentioned the most important thing that shore does for your team...

Critical hit immunity!

Pretaunt is great, heals are great, crit hit immunity is greaterer-er.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef my point being basically is that LS has for the longest time had strong squads and strong synergy whereas DS just had a couple good toons. Hopefully all that is changing and continues to change and become more balanced.

i agree with that. Currently they're in a good place though competative wise.
    I also agree about vader under palp, he boosts the whole team.
  • Options
    I'm sure next month they'll release an easy to obtain LS character that will completely negate the momentum that the sith/empire have gained... Probably will have an unique ability that starts all LS characters with unremovable tenacity up or something... But I'm going to enjoy playing DS as long as I can...
  • Options
    I'm sure next month they'll release an easy to obtain LS character that will completely negate the momentum that the sith/empire have gained... Probably will have an unique ability that starts all LS characters with unremovable tenacity up or something... But I'm going to enjoy playing DS as long as I can...

Rex, of course, has already started to stick his annoying head above the parapet. If ability block doesn't stick what are you supposed to do? R2 stealths, raid Han has stunned Palp or Thrawn, and before you know it, Rex has Ten Up and GK is taunting.
  • Options
    KRU can stun a character for two turns as well (granted it can be dispelled). But how do you think he compares to the other DS tanks? (just curious myself)
  • Options
    It's probably GK on offense vs RJT. ShT on defense vs RJT and ShT always vs NS.