The Empire Strikes back! (Empire squads on newer shards)

I've seen a lot of threads from people asking about the viability of their empire squad on newer shards that are plagued with phoenix and rebel squads so I figured we needed a centralized thread where we can all share our transitions into empire. So if you've recently swapped over to empire please post the details or if you have questions please feel free to ask! I've had amazing success these last few days so I'll start!

Mid January 2018 shard
Original squad 7* phoenix level 70
Highest arena rank with phoenix was 48, lowest was at the end when I dropped to 102

Current empire squad (lvl 71) Went from rank 102 back up to 42 currently

6* EP gr8 (l)
5* Thrawn gr7
5* Vader gr7 (almost 6*)
5* Tarkin gr7 (almost 6*)
5* Stormtrooper (almost 6*)

My mods are about what you'd expect at level 71. I do have quite a few 5 dot but they aren't all ideal speed secondaries.

As of now I focus exclusively on fighting phoenix. I can easily beat a phoenix squad that is 15k-20k+ GP over me. This may be largely in part due to Thrawn so if anyone out there is running this comp minus Thrawn I'd love to hear your success stories!
My strategy is to start by AB Chopper, fracture Kanan, kill chopper, kill Ezra, kill Kanan, kill Hera, kill Zeb. I try to keep Hera ability blocked when I'm close to finishing someone so I don't have to kill them twice. I also try to use my debuffs such as Tarkin before I start chipping away at their health and then again after kanan is dead. You can choose to kill Kanan first, with his triple tag he dies pretty quickly, I just prefer Chopper as he is squishier and his health regeneration will work against the dots you'll have going. I also focus Ezra early on to remove their entire squads DPS and with the ease in which he dies.

I've also heard success with TFP in this squad, I'm just not sure what I would sacrifice for him. At this point I would say stormtrooper possibly as he is pretty gimp at this point in the game and his taunt is removed immediately against Phoenix, but I still prefer having it as backup. Tarkin could also possibly be swapped for TFP, mine is pretty weak as I've given preference to everyone else. The buff immunity and higher damage might be worth it, but Tarkin does bring potency down.

So I'd love to hear your stories and questions!

Replies

• Options
    TFP will absolutely ruin Phoenix until you start running into zeta Kanan. Phoenix can’t handle an AoE Buff Immunity, and if TFP manages to survive the counter attack, he does loads of single target damage and takes a TON of turns very quickly.
  • Options
    TFP will absolutely ruin Phoenix until you start running into zeta Kanan. Phoenix can’t handle an AoE Buff Immunity, and if TFP manages to survive the counter attack, he does loads of single target damage and takes a TON of turns very quickly.

So who would you suggest dropping for TFP? I'd say it's between stormtrooper and tarkin, both are pretty weak at the moment.
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm currently sitting between rank #10-20 with my Empire team.

- EP 6* G8

- Vader 4* almost 5* G8

- Tarkin 5* almost 6* G8

-Thrawn 5* G7 almost G8

- Boba 5* almost 6* G8 (useful aoe ability block to prevent Hera's backup)

Right now I'm farming KRU and Stormtrooper at the same time and hopefully I will replace Boba for one of them.

Due to what many people state, tanks can do pretty decent even at low stars if you gear and mod them well so I hope to test both in 1-2 weeks to check which one is more beneficial in mid-game since for end-game the best tank you can put in that squad is either GK or Shore.

Don't be afraid of fighting NS, I'm destroying them also. I remember when I got a draw against them with my phoenix because of the acolyte + zombie combo and now I just laugh at them. Revenge never felt so well :naughty:
  • Options
    On a January 2018 shard that I joined super late I finally broke into the top 50 today with my empire team. My mods suck though.

Level 68
    6* EP - gear 8
    5* Vader - gear 7
    6* Boba Fett - gear 8 (almost 7*!)
    5* Tarkin - gear 7 (he’ll hit 6* tonight)
    5* KRU - gear 8

The last star and gear level that I added to KRU yesterday made a big difference in my defends. I was dropping like a stone before that. I only farmed him so I could be relevant in fleets but he’s been awesome in the arena. I was beating Phoenix teams with 23k more squad power than me today

I was too late starting to get Thrawn. I only finished the 4th tier by the time it ended. I’m very jealous of the few 5*s floating around.

When I finish with KRU and Fett I want to switch my farming to TFP and Stormtrooper. I’m not sure how to add them in yet but I need them for R2 anyways.
  • Options
    TFP is too squishy.

You would have to kill kanan first to get rid of the counters and then apply his buff immunity.

On defense he will get himself killed, so i dont recommend him for defense.

But his ship is the best so you should gear him anyway.

Maybe use him on arena offense for fun.
  • Options
    Honestly though, i think your shard will quickly switch to empire so i recommend that you start working towards an empire team that can defeat other empire teams rather than worry too much about phoenix. As you noticed, you can already beat much better geared phoenix teams.
  • Options
    My shard has one Empire team, EPLead, at rank 5. The rest of the top 50 is Not a Jedi or being trained Rey and CLS. 1 NS Squad at rank 10 and a CLS kill team at 25.

Everyone else lower rank is running Empire or Rex led Rebels. Empire is not dominating top Arena as devined. It just displaced all the bad cookie cutter Chaze/Wiggs teams to lower ranks between 50-1500.
  • Options
    Mobewan wrote: »
    Honestly though, i think your shard will quickly switch to empire so i recommend that you start working towards an empire team that can defeat other empire teams rather than worry too much about phoenix. As you noticed, you can already beat much better geared phoenix teams.

What counters empire well? Anything I can work now or soon?
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good question.

Most importantly, you should have the fastest speed on Vader compared to other Vader. That gives your team the first move.

You can switch in han solo for offense if your Vader is slower to stun their Vader.

Two tanks is a good idea, with 1 of them pretaunt. Like shoretrooper and go.

Other than that, you just have to look at the successful empire teams. Mainly, they the YouTubers are using EP, Vader, thrawn, gk +1. The best +1 are DN, imperial probe droid, shoretrooper. I hear stark is also good. Tarkin is good as a start, but I don't know if he can be as good as DN or IPD.
  • Options
    Hmm, I'm liking the use of KRU, I might start farming him since I need his ship anyway. Ultimately I need an R2 squad which is why I'm trying to stay with empire. Stormtrooper just feels so underwhelming right now, I'm hoping with a couple more stars he can beef up a bit.
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good question.

Most importantly, you should have the fastest speed on Vader compared to other Vader. That gives your team the first move.

You can switch in han solo for offense if your Vader is slower to stun their Vader.

Two tanks is a good idea, with 1 of them pretaunt. Like shoretrooper and go.

Other than that, you just have to look at the successful empire teams. Mainly, they the YouTubers are using EP, Vader, thrawn, gk +1. The best +1 are DN, imperial probe droid, shoretrooper. I hear stark is also good. Tarkin is good as a start, but I don't know if he can be as good as DN or IPD.

No offense but I don't know if you realise we are all 'new' to this game. We joined mid january shards so I'm so far right now of getting Han Solo, Shore (unless I buy packs which is something I won't) or even GK.

Personally I know GK or Shore are the best tanks for those squads but I'm talking from a mid-game perspective debating which tank either KRU or Stormy would fit better that fifth spot.

It's nice to see and learn from those gamechangers youtubers and their guides but again, they aren't useful at least for me at this moment because they talk from an endgame perspective imo.
  • Options
    Good question.

Two tanks is a good idea, with 1 of them pretaunt. Like shoretrooper and go..

They started in Januari 2018.....

Han Solo is very long from 5* when played 4-5 weeks. hes a 10 week farm if they get into a decent guild day 1...

Shoretrooper is 85 farm that takes months. The new players in this thread is like 4-5 months away from getting him if they don't whale out and buy him for 200$.

• Options
    Hmm, I'm liking the use of KRU, I might start farming him since I need his ship anyway. Ultimately I need an R2 squad which is why I'm trying to stay with empire. Stormtrooper just feels so underwhelming right now, I'm hoping with a couple more stars he can beef up a bit.

Stormtrooper will be useful in empire teams with other troopers. Hes decent tank but can get dispelled and ability blocked easy and then does nothing. This is not a problem that only stormtrooper have but all tanks in game have. To be successful tanks they need to auto taunt out of their turn. Very few early accessible tanks have that early-midgame.

Instead of stormtrooper i would use a character I have for other porpuses untill i would get a real tank, like Boba fett, tiefighter pilot, tarkin, royal guard (for R2 event), KRU (for B8 event)..

• Options
    jursllla wrote: »
    Good question.

Two tanks is a good idea, with 1 of them pretaunt. Like shoretrooper and go..

They started in Januari 2018.....

Han Solo is very long from 5* when played 4-5 weeks. hes a 10 week farm if they get into a decent guild day 1...

Shoretrooper is 85 farm that takes months. The new players in this thread is like 4-5 months away from getting him if they don't whale out and buy him for 200$.

Happy that you realised that dude :smiley:
  • Options
    I'm 64lvl and I'm 1-5 at payout.
    Most PPL here are phx.
    My squad is
    Palp L
    Vader
    Tarkin
    Tfp
    KRU.
    What is most important is making Palp go before TFP or its 4vs5 after initial aoe. That's all.
    I would swap out KRU to get Thrawn.
    Kill order Hera, Ezra and whatever you want. Even with their counters you win.
  • Options
    I'm lvl 75 in a late December shard. Unfortunately, I started with Jedi, not with Pheonix, so I don't have Palp or Thrawn. I managed to hold top 100, but things are getting nasty.

So in about 1 week I can throw in Empire too:
    7* Tarkin lead
    7* TFP
    7* KRU
    6* Vader
    6* Stormtrooper

Can they work against Pheonix, without Palp and Thrawn?
  • Options
    I tried using empire instead of my Rebels and I don't have as much success yet but still pretty good. Early Nov shard

Old rebel team: Wiggs, Chirrut, St Han, Old Ben

New empire team:

EP (L) G10
    Vader G9
    RG G8
    TFP G9
    GMT G8

All 7 star between level - 80

My problem is when I run into Wiggs teams, Biggs is just too powerful against them. However any other team I'm able to take out pretty quickly
  • Options
    I tried using empire instead of my Rebels and I don't have as much success yet but still pretty good. Early Nov shard

New empire team:

EP (L) G10
    Vader G9
    RG G8
    TFP G9
    GMT G8

My problem is when I run into Wiggs teams, Biggs is just too powerful against them. However any other team I'm able to take out pretty quickly

I have a similar team composition. How do you take out NS teams? I’m still afraid of them lol.
  • Options
    Kramer512 wrote: »

New empire team:

EP (L) G10
    Vader G9
    RG G8
    TFP G9
    GMT G8

I have a similar team composition. How do you take out NS teams? I’m still afraid of them lol.

@Kramer512 Imperial troopers are the best F2P way to beat them and they're great for getting probe droid shards in TB.
  • Options
    Personally I'm a fan of Tarkin L with Vader, TFP, RG, and storm. The double tanks are annoying to fight and Tarkin's AOE, if his basic is omega'd, is a force to be reckoned with.
  • Options
    I'm lvl 75 in a late December shard. Unfortunately, I started with Jedi, not with Pheonix, so I don't have Palp or Thrawn. I managed to hold top 100, but things are getting nasty.

7* Tarkin lead
    7* TFP
    7* KRU
    6* Vader
    6* Stormtrooper

EP’s unique and shock are a good part of what makes fighting Phoenix hilariously easy. But it still looks like you have a good amount of debuffs to stack up for a culling blade insta kill. It’s really satisfying.

• Options
    For a tank mid game I’d go with KRU over stormtrooper. He’s an easy farm, you’ll need him for BB8 and you’ll get his ship as a bonus. At gear 8/9 he’ll be more durable, has a stun with taunt and health recovery, inflicts tenacity down with his basic with a possibility to taunt again and his special against stunned enemies deals good damage (great for a Palpatine team) and has a ton of health steal.
  • Options

7* Tarkin lead
    7* TFP
    7* KRU
    6* Vader
    6* Stormtrooper

I can't say for certain as I've never tried, but I don't see that happening or at least as easily without EP and Thrawn. Palps passive drops Kanan and Ezra insanely quick while Thrawn keeps someone locked down.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you want to be in the top 10 you’ll need to purchase shoretrooper. You only need him at four stars though. Geared up with his turn 1 taunt he does just fine at four stars. Gear is way more important for tanks and all you really want him for is his taunt that automatically starts at the beginning of every match. I’m a late November/early December shard so not far off from you and all the top teams are Vader, Palpatine, Shoretrooper, Thrawn, Tarkin. Most only have four or five Star Shoretrooper. After that, it all comes down to who has better mods.
  • Options
    The majority of players in my December shard are either using Stormtrooper, Royal Guard, or Kylo Ren Unmasked as a taunting tank. And the pay players with sith teams are using Sith Trooper.
  • Options

7* Tarkin lead
    7* TFP
    7* KRU
    6* Vader
    6* Stormtrooper

Without heal block and with so many debuffs you will be constantly healing Kanans.
  • Options
    Level 77 in a December shard. Was struggling to stay in the top 150 with Phoenix so switched as soon as I got EP:

7* G8 (nearly 9) EP
    6* G9 Vader
    6* G8 (nearly 9) Tarkin
    6* G9 TFP
    5* G8 Thrawn

I've been gearing up storm so that I have a tank and so I could have a 7* empire team by the next r2 event (though I've only seen 15 Vader shards in Fleet store this month so it won't be happening), he's currently 6* G9 but no mods or abilities so a way away from being ready.

I jumped from 150 to 30 in a day, I didn't come across a phoenix squad I couldn't destroy. Occasionally struggled with Wiggs in squads 15-20k higher - if Biggs special goes for EP he goes down almost immediately. TFP works really well on offense. By the time he goes EP has stunned a few so Phoenix don't squish him, then he hits really hard and fast.

Within a few days though pretty much everyone else has moved to empire too so I'm currently fighting by the skin of my teeth to stay in the top 50.
    I need loads of raid gear now and I'm not in a heroic guild so I think I'm going to fall hard soon.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299