Snoke's a Podling - mystery solved.

Okay, we know Jim Henson and George Lucas teamed up a couple times, it doesn't mean a huge deal, but there's a behind the scenes connection there.

More importantly, while a few fan theories have been thrown up, none of them really stand up to explaining why snoke looks the way he does, or is angry the way he is, or do anything to bring to life his AS WELL as the way he looks.

So, every one of these is crazier then the next, I don't think mine might have a leg someone where to lean on.

Appearance
508c09adea6533b96a889edac0c090e5.png
bpjlggrkw4zw8wtty7yb.png
There's a difference in appearance for sure - but way closer then some other theories.
1) we're dealing with puppet verse CGI, that's just a translation error we had to deal with already on yoda
2) we have no ratio to go by from the Dark crystal, there's no humans to certain what their actual heights are - the podlings could be about human sized - the Gelfings could be 10'-13' tall and the Skesky's 30'. They certainly had that lumbering nature which might lend it some credence.
3) Snoke is much taller, lankier. But based on the hunched nature of pretty much every creature on that planet one might imagine the gravity being way higher - an escaped podling in more earth-like gravity on a ship might take Niven "Belters" path and grow weirdly lanky under different conditions.

Power
Well - first lets speak the crystal itself
VUDRbks.jpg
In_the_Name_of_the_Rebellion_06.jpg
We got these powerful crystal that seem to react to barely observable forces. Whatever happens at the end of the movie, exactly,
tumblr_maymc6kDjJ1rhbhexo5_r1_500.gif
but if a new power is released among the inhabitants of the planet, it could be the force. We're also left with a huge number of smaller, oppressed, peoples and their main villains are gone - why not remove the two gelflings before they can take over and the Podlings rule themselves. With time and patience they learn to control the powers of the crystal, the powers of their world. Maybe rather then such a large part of the crystal being broken, maybe just a small piece is all that's needed...
maxresdefault.jpg
And perhaps he doesn't necessarily have the force... maybe he just borrows it?
zJbvR.gif
We know from a few sources the first order was taking children to be trained for Stormtroopers... why couldn't supreme leader snoke have them all tested for their midichlorian levels (**** you EP1, but whatever) and he simply drains them for his own powers.

Drive
After reading Phasma's book I'm reminded the darkside is always driven by power and the need to dominate. What if the poor podlings vowed never to used again, never to be slaves, always masters. Not only could they have killed the Geflings, they could have drained them both of their powers and set up their own emperor. What happens when, one day, a young, potential leader of the podlings, showing a great deal of power among his kind (or at least ability to use it), see's the first order landing to see what resources can be tapped. They're identified quickly by how dangerous they are, but how easily they could be controlled by the superior podling power's they've gained - manipulated. Their powers, the 1st order resources. Lets face it, Snoke is a Jim Henson name, through and through - the podlings culture changed, but their language and naming system kept.
This Snoke fellow learns quickly. There was a great weapon that harnessed khyber crystal - a greater weapon could be made with even more, potentially. He lures the first order in with the podlings own crystal, lets their own fantasy's take hold - manipulates them into bringing him on has an individual sovereign. Snoke doesn't care about the first order, he doesn't care about the universe, he only cares that his people are in control. He swiftly uses his powers to domineer the rest of the first order, he strikes fear into them, controls them - he uses the stick well. At the same time helps them with the carrot, the dark crystal, with his peoples powers, they can use the dark crystal to even greater effect. From a limited vantage point, snoke

Within the Starwars trope?
Yes - no name whoever from a backwards planet has unbelievable power, absolutely. After starkiller base is Snoke less powerful? Was his dark crystal destroyed in the process? We may have seen the last of his power, or at least it's slow decent - he was just bullying Kylo as long as he could, trying to break him.

Within the Starwars universe?
Well, obviously, this is beyond dubious. But if, say, the planet was first found by some ancient force users during the old republic, taking one of the biggest hordes of khyber crystal for either a sith or jedi long plan - they come down to this bizarre planet and whatever forces/crazy gravity power inherit within it make them lose their way, there's a chance. They find someplace so remote that only a growing first order desperate for new recruits would go far enough a field to come across it. And maybe the re-united force ghosts were, indeed, old sith, now trapped on this planet - and maybe they are the ones that guide all the above to happen.

There's a few other articles out there - I'm throwing this one in here just because it's short: spoiledbluemilk.com/2017/12/09/the-dark-crystal-and-snokes-limitless-resources/

Perhaps the reunited force ghosts are more important then the dark crystals to the snoke story. But, I have to say, Snoke being cut in half, from this point of view, seems to almost be a threat to the old Force ghosts that, they too, could be split in half again like they were in the Dark Crystal. Does Kylo know? Was it just poetic justice?

I'm sure this is as much a crock as anything else, but my wife brought me to the touched up re-showing of the 4K Dark Crystal showing and I couldn't help but see a striking resemblance. A bunch of other not so far fetched things kind of fall neatly around it, the super super weapon, and including the final death scene.

TL:DR - Snoke is clearly a Podling from the Dark Crystal and would stop at nothing to ensure his people are never dominated again. He was an empreror in his own right, and used his powers to rules the minds of the first order. He used the Dark crystal to power starkiller base, and it's destruction led to his own downfall.
#AcolyteShootsTwice

Replies