How do arena payouts work when a match goes overtime?

If someone is battling my team at the time of payout, but the match isn't finished, is the payout delayed until that match is over? Or are rewards calculated the moment the clock strikes payout time?

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    The moment the clock strikes the payout time
  • Fjreisat
    57 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Naraic wrote: »

Hmm, ****. Not sure what happened last night, then. I was still rank #1 on the fleet arena screen a good 20 seconds after the payout time (I refreshed), but I ended up getting rank #4 rewards in my inbox a moment later. I guess it takes a minute for the server to calculate the payouts, and in that time you can get sniped?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Was your internet bad? Sometimes I can have bad signal and the game will still run on my side but stuff like arena ranks and battle options won't necessarily update right even if I refresh.
  • Options
    Was your internet bad? Sometimes I can have bad signal and the game will still run on my side but stuff like arena ranks and battle options won't necessarily update right even if I refresh.

Hmm no I had a strong connection.
  • Options
    Just got screwed out of yet another payout. I got knocked down with 5 minutes left till payout, and when I try and battle someone I get "Someone is already battling you."

That's stupid how that can be abused.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    You either keep yourself locked up in a fight or try to contact your opponent to set up a rotation schedule. Nothing is being abused.
  • Fjreisat
    57 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    You either keep yourself locked up in a fight or try to contact your opponent to set up a rotation schedule. Nothing is being abused.

I already tried making a thread in the PvP forum. I doubt anyone will respond.

So I just have to lock myself into draw games over and over in the half-hour leading up to payout time, in an effort to stop the other competitors from having a chance at fighting me? Sounds like a bad system to me that is indeed being abused.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Fjreisat wrote: »

Hmm, ****. Not sure what happened last night, then. I was still rank #1 on the fleet arena screen a good 20 seconds after the payout time (I refreshed), but I ended up getting rank #4 rewards in my inbox a moment later. I guess it takes a minute for the server to calculate the payouts, and in that time you can get sniped?

There is a visual issue in fleet arena, you can be knocked back but the ranking in the upper corner doesn't change. You can only tell if you leave battle selection section and go back in or look at the targets numbers, you will see your rank or just different numbers depending on where you are ranked.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Just got screwed out of yet another payout. I got knocked down with 5 minutes left till payout, and when I try and battle someone I get "Someone is already battling you."

That's **** how that can be abused.

Not sure how someone battling you in an arena is abuse?
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

There is a visual issue in fleet arena, you can be knocked back but the ranking in the upper corner doesn't change. You can only tell if you leave battle selection section and go back in or look at the targets numbers, you will see your rank or just different numbers depending on where you are ranked.

Good to know. Thank you.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    To quote Huatimus:

"Nothing is being abused."

The player ranking first at payout gets the rewards for first place. If someone is already battling you, you cannot initiate a new battle. If you are already engaged in a battle noone can initiate a new battle against you. Quite simple, really.
  • Options

Maybe not when you put it like that, but based on what you guys are saying it sounds like another player can keep battling and letting the game run to a draw just to stop me from having a chance at fighting them and getting my rank back. They could do this over and over in the time leading up to the payout, could they not? And my only option is to do the same thing and hope for the best? I'm just supposed to sit around for an hour trying to keep myself locked in draw games, hoping the other competitors screw up and forget the time?

Just seems like there would be a better way that wouldn't result in people trying to lock each other out of the competition.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Maybe not when you put it like that, but based on what you guys are saying it sounds like another player can keep battling and letting the game run to a draw just to stop me from having a chance at fighting them and getting my rank back. They could do this over and over in the time leading up to the payout, could they not? And my only option is to do the same thing and hope for the best? I'm just supposed to sit around for an hour trying to keep myself locked in draw games, hoping the other competitors screw up and forget the time?

Just seems like there would be a better way that wouldn't result in people trying to lock each other out of the competition.

You could,but that would cost you crystals for refreshes... so at some point the cost benefit goes away.

A battle last 5, the total cool down is 10 mins.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    There’s a Cooldown time in between each attempt so you need to be strategic about the timing to snipe. Like for example if I’m confident that the opponent can’t defeat me in 1.5 mins, I can lock myself at the 9 min mark, let the clock run out then opponent can’t drop me even if I’m available for fights in last 1.5 min.
    If you want to keep refreshing to reduce the Cooldown time, that will incur crystal costs which utterly defeats the purpose of getting a higher payout. And the cost to refresh increases if I remember correctly so there’s only that many times you can keep refreshing.
  • Options

You could,but that would cost you crystals for refreshes... so at some point the cost benefit goes away.

I see. I checked on this, and a fleet battle actually lasts 7.5 minutes, so there's only a 2.5 minute window.

My issue is this: if essentially every other top 10 competitor is trying to play the same "lockout" game and mashing refresh looking for their little 2.5 minute windows, it's really just a total crapshoot in the end on who comes out on top. I don't like it but I guess I'll have to deal. Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I see. I checked on this, and a fleet battle actually lasts 7.5 minutes, so there's only a 2.5 minute window.

My issue is this: if essentially every other top 10 competitor is trying to play the same "lockout" game and mashing refresh looking for their little 2.5 minute windows, it's really just a total crapshoot in the end on who comes out on top. I don't like it but I guess I'll have to deal. Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.

Yes that is part of the challenge and strategy. and no its not a crap shoot. :wink:
  • Fjreisat
    57 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes that is part of the challenge and strategy. and no its not a **** shoot. :wink:

I guess you could argue it's part of the challenge and strategy (ignoring how lame the intentional timeouts/draws are), but it definitely is a crapshoot.

Case in point: the poster above said he would join a battle and lock his team if there was 9 minutes until payout, which only gives his opponents 1.5 minutes to try and beat him once his draw game is over. Well, what if someone started battling him one minute before he decided to do that? His whole strategy fails due to no fault of his own and he gets knocked down 3 places minimum. You can't cover every minute, right? You just have to get lucky -- hence, crapshoot.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    That's not true, if your opponent hits you earlier, he will finish the fight at max 7.5 mins later and you'd have enough time to get to 1st again. Unless you can't kill your opponent in 2.5 mins. There's a lot more thinking and strategy involved, welcome to the world of sniping.
  • Presaria
    199 posts Member
    Options
    The arena system can be very frustrating and very intrusive on real life. That is why many form cabals, cooperatives, communes, groups, what ever you want to call them. It is basically players organizing to overcome the game design, and a way to have a happy life. In return for a happy life, you have to give up some placements and make nice.

Not everyone feels that way of course - some players are strong enough that they don't want to rotate placements.
  • Options

Yes that is part of the challenge and strategy. and no its not a **** shoot. :wink:

I guess you could argue it's part of the challenge and strategy (ignoring how lame the intentional timeouts/draws are), but it definitely is a crapshoot.

Case in point: the poster above said he would join a battle and lock his team if there was 9 minutes until payout, which only gives his opponents 1.5 minutes to try and beat him once his draw game is over. Well, what if someone started battling him one minute before he decided to do that? His whole strategy fails due to no fault of his own and he gets knocked down 3 places minimum. You can't cover every minute, right? You just have to get lucky -- hence, crapshoot.

Thus strategy, you make a risk that doesnt always pay out. It is fine, thats how it is supposed to be.
  • Options
    I can agree with this. I was at a certain payout tier b4 payout. Took 30 seconds too long to take out the other team, I did eventually win. If I beat them quicker, 30-60 seconds quicker, I would have registered the better tier.
    Hit the gym.