Mod Advice

Zerfius
55 posts Member
Hey All,
I am a long time player who still seems to struggle with mods (I am sure I am not alone). I have been using Crouching Rancor for mod advice for awhile, but I always wonder if what they suggest is best. Sometimes it seems a little lazy and lacking in creativity. What I mean by this is it looks like everyone needs a Speed primary on Arrow - I get that is ideal in most situations, but it couldn't be an absolute must across the board. Also, most of the toons I have looked at require CC and CD, but should that be the most common pairing?? It also misses any suggestions with respect to secondaries.

I have also started reading the mod articles on Gaming Fans. This seems to get a bit more creative and actually dives into the reasoning behind why they set up the mods the way they did. They also touch on the recommended secondaries. However, Gaming Fans and Crouching Rancor hardly ever seem to agree on which mods to put where. And since I have been using CR for so long, I do not know which to trust at this point.

TL/DR I am trying to understand where others go to help them make educated decisions regarding modding their toons and maybe why they use that particular resource. As an aside, does any one know of any third party sites that offer the mod manager tool that CR used to have??

Thanks!
-Z

Replies

• Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly, for almist every single character, you need a speed set
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly I play with crit dmg set on 2 toons in my arena team. If I would have more good speed secondaries on crit dmg mods everyone would have full crit dmg set. It is changing a lot fights in arena. With speed set I have to take more turns to win. With crit dmg first toon is dead in one turn. I play Empire switching beetwen Thrawn or Palp as a leader so my team is having many turns from tm gain. Vader for example doesnt need speed set and speed as a primary on arrow. Against CLS under Palp, Vader always goes first with 60speed from mods, against Palp team, Thrawn lead gives so much tm that whole team goes after opponent's Vader.
  • Options
    There are only a handful of characters that don't really need speed arrow, like Baze Malbus for one (I put +24% Crit Avoidance). Some characters don’t need to go fast to put out damage if they counterattack a lot.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I disagree wholeheartedly with gawejn.

If my team has more speed, i woll het to stun you and disable you before you get a turn.

He mentioned vader as an examplex and my answer is that a faster vader will wreck the slower vader every time.

You cant just rely on the turn meter gains for your time.
    Instead, combine thise turn meter gains with faster speed and you will win easier than waiting for a big hit which never slcomes because the faster team stunned and fractured you.

While i still have cc+cd on my han solo, he has the only set with great speed secondaries. He is the exception for me. He can be 10% slower than CLS because cls gives the team turn meter. But before i had that 1 really good cc+cd set, the speed set allowed me to get the job done. But this isthe exception that proves the rule for me.

• Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Mobewan wrote: »
    I disagree wholeheartedly with gawejn.

If my team has more speed, i woll het to stun you and disable you before you get a turn.

He mentioned vader as an examplex and my answer is that a faster vader will wreck the slower vader every time.

You cant just rely on the turn meter gains for your time.
    Instead, combine thise turn meter gains with faster speed and you will win easier than waiting for a big hit which never slcomes because the faster team stunned and fractured you.

While i still have cc+cd on my han solo, he has the only set with great speed secondaries. He is the exception for me. He can be 10% slower than CLS because cls gives the team turn meter. But before i had that 1 really good cc+cd set, the speed set allowed me to get the job done. But this isthe exception that proves the rule for me.

I play Thrawn as a leader and no tanks, Your faster Vader is most welcome. First move of your so called faster Vader makes my team going right after before the rest of your team. And in first turn your team has Fractured Palp, ability blocked on tank, cooldown increased on every toon plus no tm, also some of your toons are stunned, my team can do second turn without moves of your team. On second turn I finish Palp and put deathmark on Thrawn or Nihilus. It is over. I am loughing about fast Vaders in Palp teams. Palp teams are a joke for Thrawn like NS are a joke for Imperial Troopers. And by the way CLS teams I was beating on auto with my Thrawn Empire. CLS teams are much faster but it didnt mater. My tanks were finishing with full health, half of the protection. But When Krenic was hitting Han it was 40k on basic. Full crit dmg set.
    So speed is important but not for everyone. And not in every team composition.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options
    I can give you an example of my TFP : he has only health mods on him but his speed is 269.Except for the arrow mode that has 30 speed all other mods have speed secondaries over 10+.I know he needs critical damage mods but who the hell cares about this when he has 269 speed (and 299 under Tarkin lead)?!
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Zerfius The answer to the arrow question is Speed 90% of the time. The other 10% is for certain tanks that you don't want taking turns (Baze and Sith Trooper are the two that come to mind). I run Protection on my Sith Trooper because the extra 10k protection will be more impactful than one or two more turns. Other tanks that have useful abilities (Old Ben, GK, Shoretrooper) need turns, so speed is better than surviving one or two more attacks.

The best general advice I could give would be to go to your arena shard rankings and look at the top teams to see how they mod certain characters. In general, this will give you a good idea what works and what doesn't.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Gawejn
    I would destroy your thrawn lead with my titans, lolol

U are missing the point entirely

What if your thrawn led team faces a mirror match with mich faster mods. And then jtr with much faster mods. And then nightsisters with much faster mods. Etc etc
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    @Gawejn
    I would destroy your thrawn lead with my titans, lolol

Yes, it is very easy team to beat. On defense is very bad couse You are smarter than program. But it wasnt about this really but about faster Vader. Titans are over for me, I was playing against CLS for few months, got bored. Now I am very happy about Palp in arena couse I stay in top 10 arena everyday with Thrawn. And my Vader is very slow. :)
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    Options
    U r still missing the point entirely
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

When someone has nothing to say and dont want to see different perspective is writing this statement. I dont need to be right, but prefer to see things as they are. General statements like speed arrow must be speed are not true always. Faster Vader will deafet slower Vader is also not true. Details about mods are important in the light of team composition and opponent team. Speed set is not always better couse full crit dmg gives plus 66% dmg more. It means your team has high chance to finish one toon much faster. When this is happening fight is won. Idea who goes first - win is old idea in this game and it is not valid anymore. Game is different than year ago when Sthan went first and that was over. Now tm gain together with speed is critical. Someone wrote about TFP under Tarkin with 299 speed. Great but Tarkin lead is not so good. So TFP can be fast but team will loose against teams with %tm gain. So mods should be consider about team composition.
    But for this player needs to think, use the mind. It can be painfull ;)
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options
    I don't have Thrawn and probably won't be getting him again the next time it shows up as i still think it's not worth investing in the most useless toons in this game,namely Phoenix squad.So i have to use three tanks or just go full AoE.Even with these two patches i still can't win agains JTR.That is what killed this game,the introduction of JTR.One toon that only works in one team and only available to the p2p guys.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Nokhai wrote: »
    I don't have Thrawn and probably won't be getting him again the next time it shows up as i still think it's not worth investing in the most useless toons in this game,namely Phoenix squad.So i have to use three tanks or just go full AoE.Even with these two patches i still can't win agains JTR.That is what killed this game,the introduction of JTR.One toon that only works in one team and only available to the p2p guys.

Against JTR You need Palp as a leader. Tarkin, Vader, Shore and Deathtrooper. And this team should do well. IPD would be better than DT.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options
    Gawejn wrote: »

Against JTR You need Palp as a leader. Tarkin, Vader, Shore and Deathtrooper. And this team should do well. IPD would be better than DT.

Tried this as well,It does not work and i don't understand why Nihilus's Drain Force does not affect BB8 as he uses Secret Intel after Secret Intel no matter what.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

Tried this as well,It does not work and i don't understand why Nihilus's Drain Force does not affect BB8 as he uses Secret Intel after Secret Intel no matter what.

You must be doing something wrong than. Dont use Nihilus, i didnt mention him.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options

But to use that you have to have one hell of a speedy Deathtrooper.And Shore will be taken out of the equation pretty fast.I tried it with three tanks,Palp,Vader,Shore,Sith Trooper and GK and still got nothing.After that i just gave up.Anyways thanks for the advice.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

But to use that you have to have one hell of a speedy Deathtrooper.And Shore will be taken out of the equation pretty fast.I tried it with three tanks,Palp,Vader,Shore,Sith Trooper and GK and still got nothing.After that i just gave up.Anyways thanks for the advice.

You need Tarkin to slow them and shut their offense and TM gain, You need Deathtrooper couse You need dispeller, otherwise ID will finish You. You need fast Shore. Or only GK. He would be better than Shore. There is no space for three tanks and against JTR it wont work. Tarkin is very helpfull. You need both zetas on Palp and should have a lot protection. Also with Tarkin there is a trick to increase dmg on his aoe, the best would be to put on him full crit dmg, and use his aoe after 4,5 shots from basic with offense buff from Palp. His aoe does special dmg so if this will crit it can deal high dmg. I saw Tarkin killing whole teams with it in arena.
  • Options
    ...the most useless toons in this game,namely Phoenix squad...
    Not sure how you can come to that conclusion, since Phoenix:
    Get you Thrawn
    Get you Chimera
    Get you Palpatine
    Auto Clear GW
    Do well in TW and TB
    Have a pair of powerful fleet ships

About the only thing they can't do is solo raids or hold up in end game arena.

Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options

You need Tarkin to slow them and shut their offense and TM gain, You need Deathtrooper couse You need dispeller, otherwise ID will finish You. You need fast Shore. Or only GK. He would be better than Shore. There is no space for three tanks and against JTR it wont work. Tarkin is very helpfull. You need both zetas on Palp and should have a lot protection. Also with Tarkin there is a trick to increase dmg on his aoe, the best would be to put on him full crit dmg, and use his aoe after 4,5 shots from basic with offense buff from Palp. His aoe does special dmg so if this will crit it can deal high dmg. I saw Tarkin killing whole teams with it in arena.

I use Tarkin in my arena team and funny thing is that against JTR teams JTR always goes for my Tarkin.And i mean ALWAYS.She puts Mind Tricks on him and then every single attack goes on him.And i don't understand why this happens everytime.My Tarkin has only potency mods on him (216 speed and over 100 potency) with both zetas on him and G12.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Options
    Speed arrow is always a must. Without speed you’ll lose, even if you have the best characters and synergies. If someone does physical damage, use crit chance crit damage. If they do special damage, go for offense. If they’re a tank, use defense. Depending on their abilities you will use other sets. For example use potency on Poe so he can land the exposes. For secondaries, the most important stat is speed. You want your characters as fast as possible. The other secondaries are less important, and they depend on the character.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

I use Tarkin in my arena team and funny thing is that against JTR teams JTR always goes for my Tarkin.And i mean ALWAYS.She puts Mind Tricks on him and then every single attack goes on him.And i don't understand why this happens everytime.My Tarkin has only potency mods on him (216 speed and over 100 potency) with both zetas on him and G12.

That is strange :) , solution is simple, pretaunter. Shore. By the way nice Tarkin. Mine is almost g11, but no zeta. I dont like JTR and I can beat them but i have no fun. I use Krenic DT duo against them and if Krenic will show the power so basic on Rey is 35k, that is the reason of crit dmg set. I got few high crit chance secondaries like 7% so Krenic with 42% crit chance crits on Rey often. Few shots and she is gone. Nice thing about Krenic DT duo that this combo is strong and complete synergy. Many times when my Thrawn was dead those two with support of two tanks were finishing full CLS teams. If Krenic would some sort of cleaning for Empire I would play him as a Leader.
  • Zerfius
    55 posts Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for participating. I did not intend for this to become a debate on whether or not speed mods or speed secondaries were necessary, but to identify the best resource for overall mod advice. @Dryff thank you for that feedback about checking the leaders on my shard. That is useful, but that mostly helps for the meta toons only. I am unlikely to find a full Imperial Trooper squad anywhere near the top of leaderboard. Or there may be some random that I want to try out or build up just for TB.

I will ask again, is there any resource you all use to plan out or determine which mods are best your your toons? I have used Crouching Rancor and Gaming Fans - they seldom agree on what mods are best.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Options

That is strange :) , solution is simple, pretaunter. Shore. By the way nice Tarkin. Mine is almost g11, but no zeta. I dont like JTR and I can beat them but i have no fun. I use Krenic DT duo against them and if Krenic will show the power so basic on Rey is 35k, that is the reason of crit dmg set. I got few high crit chance secondaries like 7% so Krenic with 42% crit chance crits on Rey often. Few shots and she is gone. Nice thing about Krenic DT duo that this combo is strong and complete synergy. Many times when my Thrawn was dead those two with support of two tanks were finishing full CLS teams. If Krenic would some sort of cleaning for Empire I would play him as a Leader.

Thanks!Tarkin is amazing both as a character in the arena and as a fleet commander.He's just perfect in the actual meta especially against NS teams.I don't regret investing in him at all.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

When someone has nothing to say and dont want to see different perspective is writing this statement. I dont need to be right, but prefer to see things as they are. General statements like speed arrow must be speed are not true always. Faster Vader will deafet slower Vader is also not true. Details about mods are important in the light of team composition and opponent team. Speed set is not always better couse full crit dmg gives plus 66% dmg more. It means your team has high chance to finish one toon much faster. When this is happening fight is won. Idea who goes first - win is old idea in this game and it is not valid anymore. Game is different than year ago when Sthan went first and that was over. Now tm gain together with speed is critical. Someone wrote about TFP under Tarkin with 299 speed. Great but Tarkin lead is not so good. So TFP can be fast but team will loose against teams with %tm gain. So mods should be consider about team composition.

@Gawejn
    You wrote above:
    - now tm gain together with speed is critical

Finally, you have undestood my point.

Tm gain, no speed, no good
    Any team, no speed, no good

However, you wrote:
    - full crit damage guves plus 66% more damage

That is absolutely false. You are absolutely wrong. A crit damage set instead of a speed set will give yoylu far less tham 15% more total damage

Please learm about the game properly before spreading false information.
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    Options
    Zerfius wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone for participating. I did not intend for this to become a debate on whether or not speed mods or speed secondaries were necessary, but to identify the best resource for overall mod advice. @Dryff thank you for that feedback about checking the leaders on my shard. That is useful, but that mostly helps for the meta toons only. I am unlikely to find a full Imperial Trooper squad anywhere near the top of leaderboard. Or there may be some random that I want to try out or build up just for TB.

I will ask again, is there any resource you all use to plan out or determine which mods are best your your toons? I have used Crouching Rancor and Gaming Fans - they seldom agree on what mods are best.

Personally I just use my own judgement based on what they need and what I have. That doesn't really help you but there ya go lol
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

@Gawejn
    You wrote above:
    - now tm gain together with speed is critical

Finally, you have undestood my point.

Tm gain, no speed, no good
    Any team, no speed, no good

However, you wrote:
    - full crit damage guves plus 66% more damage

That is absolutely false. You are absolutely wrong. A crit damage set instead of a speed set will give yoylu far less tham 15% more total damage

Please learm about the game properly before spreading false information.

First You have no idea what You are talking about. If 150% crit is 15k so 100% is 10k. If You have full crit dmg it is 66% more so from 15k it should be around 21k. So 6k dmg more from 15k is around 40% more dmg. So go again to primary school and learn how to count.
    Second You are deluded about yourself and your abilities to think. You think that I didnt know that tm gain plus speed is important first than speed alone. You are deluded again. It means also You dont understand what You read, like half of information filtered by your week thinking process. If You want to talk with me get out from position of being right and I am wrong using false statements like this 15% of more dmg. And based on false You give me advices about learning. Are out of your mind?
  • Options

First You have no idea what You are talking about. If 150% crit is 15k so 100% is 10k. If You have full crit dmg it is 66% more so from 15k it should be around 21k. So 6k dmg more from 15k is around 40% more dmg. So go again to primary school and learn how to count.
    Second You are deluded about yourself and your abilities to think. You think that I didnt know that tm gain plus speed is important first than speed alone. You are deluded again. It means also You dont understand what You read, like half of information filtered by your week thinking process. If You want to talk with me get out from position of being right and I am wrong using false statements like this 15% of more dmg. And based on false You give me advices about learning. Are out of your mind?

I remember a proverb about people in glass houses throwing stones...

You might want to lay off calling out others when most of what you just typed is barely comprehensible.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Zerfius
    55 posts Member
    Options
    @Gawejn @Mobewan Since neither of you will agree with each other, and you both completely missed the point of my post, can you please stop hijacking my thread so that I might get the information I am looking for!?
    Thanks!
    -Z
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Zerfius
    I was answering your thread question.

Sadly, from my experience getting top reward in arena, speed sets work better for most characters and teams than what crouching rancor or whatever other sites advise.

There are many great threads that show the math for extra damage from cc/cd sets and it is much less than some people think, because they forget to factor in the crit chance and that after you have crit damage triangle the 30% from the set is only 16% of the 180% crit damage you already have. So ifyour crit chance is 50%, the crit damage set is only 8% damage increase from just having the crit damage triangle. If you have a godly set with +120 speed, by all means, put it on your highest damage character.

For secondaries, the priority should be speed above all else. Of course, if one mod has 15 speed + 4% crit chance, and another mod has 16 speed and no crit chance, you can sacrifice 1 speed.
    Other than speed, you have to understand the characters you are using and see if they need damage or potency, but 1% potency wont be more important than 15 speed.

Even tanks need speed to get their abilities off. I am not telling you this in theory, i am telling you this from experience.

What I'm saying also applies to raids, where i get double the score of my guildmates who focus on cc/cd and i focus on speed sets and speed secondaries

In the oldest shards, you need +120 to +140 speed on every character. Focus on that.
    Post edited by Mobewan on
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    @Zerfius
    I was answering your thread question.

Sadly, from my experience getting top reward in arena, speed sets work better for most characters and teams than what crouching rancor or whatever other sites advise.

There are many great threads that show the math for extra damage from cc/cd sets and it is much less than some people think, because they forget to factor in the crit chance and that after you have crit damage triangle the 30% from the set is only 16% of the 180% crit damage you already have. So ifyour crit chance is 50%, the crit damage set is only 8% damage increase from just having the crit damage triangle. If you have a godly set with +120 speed, by all means, put it on your highest damage character.

For secondaries, the priority should be speed above all else. Of course, if one mod has 15 speed + 4% crit chance, and another mod has 16 speed and no crit chance, you can sacrifice 1 speed.
    Other than speed, you have to understand the characters you are using and see if they need damage or potency, but 1% potency wont be more important than 15 speed.

Even tanks need speed to get their abilities off. I am not telling you this in theory, i am telling you this from experience.

What I'm saying also applies to raids, where i get double the score of my guildmates who focus on cc/cd and i focus on speed sets and speed secondaries

In the oldest shards, you need +120 to +140 speed on every character. Focus on that.

@Zerfius This advice is pretty much correct. You won't have great speed sets for every character, but you might end up with 2-3 sets with good secondaries. Regardless of the primary stats, you want these sets on your best team. It's just a bonus if the primaries match up. This is, of course, only valid for your top one or two teams. For the others...

Here are some good general rules (talking about primaries, not the mod type):

SLOTS
    1. Arrow: Speed arrow always (except in very rare circumstances). Use the arrow slot to complete mod sets beneficial to a character (if only one of your best speed secondaries is a Potency-type mod, use a +30 speed potency here...a mod set bonus will always be more beneficial than any secondary FOR THIS SLOT ONLY)
    2. Triangle: For DPS characters, Offense/Crit Dmg on Triangle. Crit Chance is a close second. For utility characters and support, Protection. Defense/Health NEVER unless the mod has an insane speed secondary and it is a tank (i.e. I have a defense triangle on my GK just because it has +15 speed)
    3. Cross: For DPS, Offense/Potency. Protection useful on all characters. Tenacity crosses CAN be useful on tanks and cleansers (my preference). Defense/Health NEVER (same rule as triangle)

SETS
    My personal preference is that +1 speed is equal to about +2% for another stat. So when I have to decide if I want to ditch that +5 speed to make a mod set work, I have a rule at least. As @Mobewan said, for your top teams, speed is king and will trump other specific decisions.

I hope that helps some!